One more character encoding issue, � in comments

Is something wonky on the site? Describe the problem to us, and we'll fix it ASAP.
Forum rules
Bug Reporting Guidelines

Before Posting
Please make sure someone hasn't already reported the problem you're experiencing before creating a new topic. Confirmed issues have been stickied in this forum.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when starting a bug topic. Example: "Comic images not showing up" Do not use vague titles like, "problem" or "uh ohh"

2) Describe your problem in detail. Explain exactly what is wrong. Post images, screen shots, links, code snippets - whatever is relevant. The better the information you provide, the better the solution you will receive.

3) Be polite and patient. We fix these issues as fast as we can. Please be patient with us as we work toward a solution.

One more character encoding issue, � in comments

Postby The_mad_one » February 2nd, 2015, 8:57 am

Hi,

After this previous character encoding issue:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16455

It turns out there's one more remnant of unspecified encoding.

When I post a comment, it seems the small pop-up to type my comment in still has the wrong encoding, which means my submitted comment is all wrong.
http://i.imgur.com/h9VsfsR.png

I imagine the little comment pop-up just got overlooked when UTF-8 encoding was specified everywhere else.
Last edited by The_mad_one on February 18th, 2015, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_mad_one

Re: One more character encoding issue

Postby The_mad_one » February 5th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Just bumping this example in to demonstrate that at least I'm not the only one with this issue:

http://mokepon.smackjeeves.com/comics/2 ... 9-page-37/

ZDW (Guest), 05 Feb 2015 03:57 am
well an under levelled Pok�mon with a type advantage can easily win if a over levelled bad type matching weakens it a bit first
The_mad_one

Postby eishiya » February 5th, 2015, 3:25 pm

The character being shown is U+FFFD "Replacement Character", which suggests that this is a problem with SJ understanding input or perhaps with storing it internally. I can't help there, but I hope that helps Admin find the issue.
eishiya

Postby The_mad_one » February 9th, 2015, 5:49 pm

It appears that that's just the codename for the � character, and is used by (probably) the browser to replace any and all characters that are invalid in unicode.

I don't think U+FFFD has anything to do with the actual invalid character (being é in a different encoding).
The_mad_one

Return to Bugs & Glitches