Suggestion: Allow locking comments on pages

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Suggestion: Allow locking comments on pages

Postby eishiya » June 27th, 2017, 8:30 am

The only way to prevent commenting on a comic page at present is to remove commenting from your Comic Page template entirely, preventing comments on all pages. And even this doesn't quite work since people using the mobile viewer can still comment. Although comments are an important part of webcomics, not everyone wants comments on every page! Some people only want comments on the recent few pages or chapters, some people want to avoid comments on controversial pages, some people only want comments on actual comic pages and not extra art they post.

I think a way to lock comments on an individual page would be useful for these situations. It could just be a "Lock comments?" checkbox on the page's edit/upload screen. If it's checked, then anyone trying to comment would see a message like, "Sorry, comments on this page are closed." instead of a text box when they try to comment. It can be that simple and do the trick. Naturally, this should only affect non-authors. Authors should be able to post author and non-author comments all they want.

The feature could be greatly extended with an additional pair of template switches: <!-- BEGIN/END switch_comments_closed --> and <!-- BEGIN/END switch_comments_open -->
These would allow template designers to customize the message when comments are closed and not display the "Post a comment" link at all. People could also use these to hide any existing comments on pages with locked comments, if they wanted to (otherwise they'd have to delete them). Templates not using these switches would still work perfectly though.
Even without these switches, a comment locking feature would be useful.

Another useful extension: a comic-wide "lock comments after (time)" setting, that would, as it says on the tin, lock comments on a page after it has been uploaded for a given amount of time. It doesn't have to be precise, it can just have an "N days" input box, or a dropdown with options for 1-30 days, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year" or something, and SJ can run a site-wide script once daily, automatically locking pages as needed. Without this, people who want to lock old pages would have to do so manually, which can be a lot of work.

I doubt this is a feature in wide demand, its uses are limited (but it does have uses!). Hopefully it can still be added after the more important features and suggestions are implemented.
eishiya

Re: Suggestion: Allow locking comments on pages

Postby Oly-RRR » June 28th, 2017, 7:57 pm

I like this idea! :mrgreen: I doubt I'll use it much but I can certainly think of situations where I'd appreciate the option.

And it would also make it easier on everyone commenting - sometimes I don't know if people even want comments on their old chapters, and I wouldn't want to be annoying.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby TheJGamer » June 28th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Cool! Is Admin working on implementing this feature? This is especially useful on CYOA comics because when a new page is out, you can prevent comments in older pages.
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby eishiya » June 28th, 2017, 8:39 pm

TheJGamer wrote:Cool! Is Admin working on implementing this feature? This is especially useful on CYOA comics because when a new page is out, you can prevent comments in older pages.

When Admin sees a suggestion he wants to implement, he stickies the thread. No sticky here yet ):
eishiya

Postby ladugard » June 29th, 2017, 5:28 am

I definitely want this! Of course receiving comments is nice but I'd much prefer to only have comments on the end of each chapter rather than every page, as it seems to invite readers to interpret single pages as complete episodes instead of small pieces of the story. I've seen far too many comment sections on my favourite webcomics go completely out of control, forcing the author to shut it down. Not to mention if a comic is about a subject that's sensitive to the author, they may not want comments on it at all.

As OP said, it might not be in wide demand but it doesn't seem like it would be too complicated a function to add, and I know for a fact a number of webcomic authors look for this option when they choose a site to host their comics.
ladugard

Postby bomango » December 22nd, 2017, 3:22 am

eishiya wrote:And even this doesn't quite work since people using the mobile viewer can still comment.

The mobile viewer is as far as I can tell entirely non-customizable (it has no template in Page Design/Appearance and it appears to use none of the global settings).

Having done web development for 19 years, I can understand being nervous about letting everyone be able to break the smooth-as-glass mobile code. What I would propose is that there be a mobile template where the code for the strip page / guided view for panels / menu remain black boxed into a {MOBILE CONTENT} section, but the comment section be editable and follow the same conventions as the regular non-mobile HTML template (and allow custom CSS/JS).
bomango

Postby Shard » December 22nd, 2017, 10:13 am

Something locking comments would also help with- I've noticed I sometimes get what look like bots but I'm never sure if they are commenting on my comic, but only the really early pages? Like the first chapter of pages or so. And I'll be like, "Hey, Aware has a new comme- oh, it's just one of those maybe-a-bots, darn it." It's not that I don't want comments on old pages, but due to the nature of how l post, most people only comment on the latest, say, three pages anyway. Locking comments would help keep unwanted and unhelpful comments off of pages from give or take four and a half years ago.

One suggestion to the proposed format though- if there is a "lock comments on all pages posted X amount of time ago" switch, we should be able to go in and manually un lock pages if we want to. Like say you have a page or chapter where there's this super huge twist, and you want people to be able to react to it as they get there if they want. Or it's an extra page with a picture you want comments on. Locking the comments means you don't get things like that. So being able to go in and say "hey, I know I want all pages posted more than a year ago locked but this page from two years ago, can you unlock that for me?" would be nice to be able to do.
ImageImage
Shard

Return to Suggestions & Feedback