changing tab order on profile - 1st faves THEN comments

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

changing tab order on profile - 1st faves THEN comments

Postby portisHeart » February 5th, 2018, 10:21 am

i think i mentioned/suggested this somewhere a while ago - never got any answer tho. not that i can remember at least.
anyways, nothing happened.

i do link to my Sj profile from other places, like my deviantart. the point is to share my FAVORITE COMICS, not my personal rants.
besides, the rare times i do peek on someone's profile, maybe because we interacted in comments, i couldn't give a * about what they have written recently, and again one waste of a click to see their favorites, which is what i'm interested in.

actually, if showing the comments tab was made optional, it would be even better.
i don't twit, i don't facebooke, i don't instagrame, i generally don't feel the need for the whole world to read/watch my every thought/action (with many people honestly often equal to "brainfart/selfoolie"). i have nothing to hide once it's written (i mean, think first, and if you overstep deal with the consequences...), that's not the point. but those comments are semi-personal between the comic creators and the users reading the same comic, why should they be visible for everyone who lands on my profile, i don't see the use of this. unless SJ wants to play twitter... other options about the profile are optional/checkable, so why not that, i mean, it is optional to show one's favorites, so why not the other tab??
preventing people to troll through the openness of their comments is a bit useless - this should be handled case by case by/with the comic authors with a msg to admin or sth, ban, warnings, dunno. i don't think trolls are ashamed of the crap they write, tbh.

so, what i say should/hope will be implemented is:
- change the tab order on the profile from 1st seen "comments"/2nd seen "favorites" to the contrary - so what ppl see first are faves. and if status addicts can't live with that, well make the order optional too.
- and/or add a "show/hide comments" checkbox in the profile customization UI.
portisHeart

Re: changing tab order on profile - 1st faves THEN comments

Postby eishiya » February 5th, 2018, 11:35 am

I support the idea of giving the option to show favourites first instead of comments, but I think this should be a display option for users, rather than something set by the profile owner. So, someone who wants to see comments first will see comments first on all profiles they visit, and someone who prefers to see favourites list will see those first on all profiles (unless the user has those hidden, of course). I also think that the option to show favourites first should be default, instead of the current way, which shows comments first, to encourage more comic discovery. I personally find comments better for finding interesting comics to read, but they're a lot less eye-catching than covers.

I do not support hiding comments entirely. Unlike reading/following comics, commenting on comics is a public action. We have a PM system for private/personal conversations, so people not wishing to show their comments to the world should use that. Plus, as I mentioned, comments are great for discovering new comics to read. There's no better way to quickly see how engaging a comic is, and in what way it's engaging than to see the comments made by someone whose tastes interest me. A favourites list tells me nothing about what makes them read that comic, and it doesn't even tell me if they read those comics at all, since many people use the feature as a to-read list.

Alternative suggestion: Why not make it possible to link to a specific tab in one's profile, e.g. http://www.smackjeeves.com/profile.php?id=userID#favorites ? It'd make sharing one's favourites much easier. Admittedly, I don't know how useful this would actually be, since portisHeart is the only person I've heard of actually link to their SJ profile for the sake of sharing comics :'D Maybe being able to link to a specific tab would encourage more people to use their profiles that way, though!
eishiya

Re: changing tab order on profile - 1st faves THEN comments

Postby portisHeart » February 6th, 2018, 4:23 am

eishiya wrote:... I also think that the option to show favourites first should be default, instead of the current way, which shows comments first, to encourage more comic discovery. ...

i agree, it's a good option ^^

eishiya wrote:Alternative suggestion: Why not make it possible to link to a specific tab in one's profile, e.g. http://www.smackjeeves.com/profile.php? ... #favorites ? It'd make sharing one's favourites much easier. Admittedly, I don't know how useful this would actually be, since portisHeart is the only person I've heard of actually link to their SJ profile for the sake of sharing comics :'D Maybe being able to link to a specific tab would encourage more people to use their profiles that way, though!

great idea, it's actually the way i do it about goodreads. they have a page with our "library" - or whatever it's called - where all our books are listed, and i use the url to that page to link to my fav books. they also have a page displaying your favorite quotes, and this url i use to link to my... yeah, as you can think, to my fav quotes :lol:

oh? srsly? am i an exception? lmao. i thought it was exactly what this was about XD - linking to your faves. who the hell wants to see my mug (or rather, my fujoshi's, lol) or the few stupid lines i wrote on my profile? :roll:
maybe i use those links to faves because since i don't like many social media and don't have a big net presence - except deviantart, steam & dreamwidth, which are not even strictly speaking social media sites - i don't have a bunch of likes & reposts & feeds to communicate my likes & faves.

so if you read my profile on devArt, on top of the integrated "interests" tab which doesn't leave much space (and a wall of stamps XD), i have links to my fav animanga on myanimelist, fav books on goodreads, fav movies/series on imdb, fav flash games/movies on newgrounds, and ofc fav webcomix (or the nearest option = my profile) on SJ. that way, should some lost soul stumble on my DA profile and actually read the thing :o they can possibly discover new stuff, or that we have a lot (or absolutely nothing) in common ^^
portisHeart

Return to Suggestions & Feedback