"View Unread" button?

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

"View Unread" button?

Postby sentiashinou » March 7th, 2018, 3:56 pm

I noticed a bug where occasionally my favorites will show that there are unread comics, but I have to scroll way down in the list to find which one is marked "new". Maybe that's user error on the part of those authors, like if they change the date on certain pages, or something? But I was wondering if it would be possible to show a list of everything in your favorites that has unread pages.
sentiashinou

Re: "View Unread" button?

Postby eishiya » March 7th, 2018, 8:45 pm

It seems to be an intended feature, the profile only shows the latest pages in the comic flow, and not recently added pages earlier in the comic flow (e.g. covers added to the start of the comic). As far as I know there's no way to view all actual unread pages. I've been finding them by clicking the author's recent comments :/

I think I prefer the old system where it displayed uploads by time rather than by position in the archive.
eishiya

Postby sentiashinou » March 7th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Oh, I think I phrased my suggestion poorly. I meant that I have to scroll way down in my Favorites list to find which comics have posted updates marked as New. I was hoping for a view that would show me which comics those are; once I find them I can generally find the new pages (and/or find that pages that had already been posted before somehow show as "new" again... but that's another story).
sentiashinou

Postby eishiya » March 7th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Oh! In both the favourites drop-down and on the favourites page, the recently updated (=unread) comics are all at the top in addition to being marked as "new", so it's easy to find what has updated recently. Or do you leave some older comics unread and thus end up with a mix of read and unread near the top, making this system not work for you?
eishiya

Postby sentiashinou » March 7th, 2018, 11:46 pm

The problem is, occasionally comics will show as New, even though they're not toward the top of the list.

I can think of a few reasons this might happen:
- The author uploads a page, but sets the date to the past, for some reason.
- There's a bug where pages I've already seen get re-marked as New even though it's been a week or more since the comic actually updated.
- There's a bug where the page doesn't get marked as New right away, so I don't notice there are unread pages, and it fixes itself later when the comic has fallen down the favorites list.

Those are just ideas of possible root causes; the actual problem might be a combination of those and/or some things I haven't thought of.

My suggestion would just be a workaround, but it sounds like you haven't seen the problem at all. Maybe it doesn't happen for very many people, and wouldn't be worth investigating?
sentiashinou

Postby eishiya » March 8th, 2018, 9:04 am

I don't use the Favourites page at all, I use the dropdown, so it's possible the problem happens on the page but not the dropdown.
Have you noticed particular webcomics being involved in these issues, or is it all the comics you follow?

It sounds like a problem worth investigating and fixing instead of making a workaround. Workarounds are for problems that can't be fixed. Perhaps you could reword your OP to that effect and I can move this thread to Bugs & Glitches?
eishiya

Postby sentiashinou » March 8th, 2018, 11:06 am

I've seen it for a few comics... Yesterday I noticed it for Galebound, and I saw it once for MYth. I saw it a handful of times on Comicide; that one isn't on my favorites at the moment so it's possible it's continued to happen. Also there were a couple times a while ago when it happened but I gave up on finding the comic it was happening for and I just hit "Mark all as read" so the unread indicator would be useful again.

eishiya wrote:Workarounds are for problems that can't be fixed.

I agree, and my impression is that this might not be possible to fix, if it's due to authors' behavior.
sentiashinou

Postby sentiashinou » March 21st, 2018, 11:29 am

@eishiya: Conveniently, I noticed this issue with Black Dram this morning, so maybe you have an idea of what happened! Black Dram was showing as "new", but the last update was from last week so it's pretty low in my favorites list.
sentiashinou

Postby kayotics » March 21st, 2018, 12:06 pm

sentiashinou wrote:@eishiya: Conveniently, I noticed this issue with Black Dram this morning, so maybe you have an idea of what happened! Black Dram was showing as "new", but the last update was from last week so it's pretty low in my favorites list.

I actually had the same thing happen to me with Black Dram as well, just to confirm that it was not just one person seeing this.
kayotics

Postby Oly-RRR » March 21st, 2018, 1:34 pm

I've seen this too, so I suspect it has something to do with a page being queued up but not actually accessible to the readers yet. Screenshot under the spoiler.

Spoiler! :
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby eishiya » March 21st, 2018, 6:15 pm

That's probably because I accidentally set the page to release when I uploaded it, and then went and edited it to release later :'D So, that's a derp on my end rather than SJ's fault.
eishiya

Postby sentiashinou » March 21st, 2018, 7:54 pm

eishiya wrote:That's probably because I accidentally set the page to release when I uploaded it, and then went and edited it to release later :'D So, that's a derp on my end rather than SJ's fault.

Oh, that's good to know. So SJ just doesn't unmark comics as "New" when the unread pages are removed or hidden.
sentiashinou

Postby eishiya » March 21st, 2018, 7:58 pm

sentiashinou wrote:
eishiya wrote:That's probably because I accidentally set the page to release when I uploaded it, and then went and edited it to release later :'D So, that's a derp on my end rather than SJ's fault.

Oh, that's good to know. So SJ just doesn't unmark comics as "New" when the unread pages are removed or hidden.

I haven't tested it, but it's likely it might unmark them if the pages are deleted, but not when the dates on them are changed.
eishiya

Return to Suggestions & Feedback