Suggestion: Favorite Lists?

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Suggestion: Favorite Lists?

Postby kayotics » March 15th, 2018, 9:30 am

One thing that could be a good addition to the Favoriting feature is the ability to make custom lists of comics, similar to how you can organize items in Amazon by a wishlist or a shopping list for specific things. Maybe this is something that's already being worked on, but this is kind of what I'm thinking:

- the ability to create multiple lists
- the ability to name custom lists (so people can label a list like 'horror comics', 'funny comics', 'parody comics', 'read later', etc.)

I don't think it needs to be separate from the favoriting feature, just merely an organizational tool for the favorites. I don't know how much of a demand this would be, but I do think if someone has 20+ comics they're following, it could be really useful for keeping track of everything.
kayotics

Re: Suggestion: Favorite Lists?

Postby eishiya » March 15th, 2018, 9:45 am

Is this feature meant to aid in finding the right comic to read in those cases where you're not reading them as they update? I use the feature in the lamest possible way, checking comics out as soon as I see they've updated, and for that it would not be useful. I can see it being quite useful for batch-reading comics though.

Additional questions to help flesh this feature out:
How would this interact with the favourites dropdown? If it's sorted by list, then the most recently updated comics might not be anywhere near the top of the dropdown, making it a lot less convenient to use.
Would these lists show up in the favourites section of one's profile (i.e. be visible to others), or only on one's favourites page (i.e. be private)?

Possible suggestion: On the favourites page (and in the dropdown, if lists are shown there), if the user has at least one custom list, have an "unread" section that just shows comics with pages the user hasn't read yet. Then below that, show the lists (with potentially repeated comics, if they're also in the "unread" section). This way, it's quick to access both all the comics you haven't caught up on yet, and to browse them according to the lists.
eishiya

Postby sentiashinou » March 15th, 2018, 9:53 am

I like this idea.

It might also be cool to pick a particular list that shows up on your profile, like having a "My Recommendations" list rather than showing every comic you might currently be following.
sentiashinou

Postby eishiya » March 15th, 2018, 9:58 am

sentiashinou wrote:I like this idea.

It might also be cool to pick a particular list that shows up on your profile, like having a "My Recommendations" list rather than showing every comic you might currently be following.

Yes please! I'd love this feature, even though I have a fairly small favourites list.
eishiya

Postby kayotics » March 15th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Sorry for the long response, but I wanted to address everything that's been mentioned.

eishiya wrote:Is this feature meant to aid in finding the right comic to read in those cases where you're not reading them as they update?

I was definitely thinking this as being helpful for people who either
1) aren't reading as a comic updates or aren't caught up with the updates yet or
2) want to keep comics organized in a way that they find intuitive, even if the comic is already completed.

eishiya wrote:How would this interact with the favourites dropdown? If it's sorted by list, then the most recently updated comics might not be anywhere near the top of the dropdown, making it a lot less convenient to use.

While looking through the site, I noticed that the dropdown also links to a favorites page (under "see all"), where I can see the lists being most useful. Alternately, maybe the favorites dropdown could have a button that lets you view a list instead of all of your favorites? This would have to be workshopped a little to actually answer this question, since I think this is a more expansive UX question.

eishiya wrote:Would these lists show up in the favourites section of one's profile (i.e. be visible to others), or only on one's favourites page (i.e. be private)?

This is something I've been struggling with. If the favorites are public, then there could be the option of sharing lists with people of comic recommendations. I love the idea of the lists being public! But that also could unfortunately invite people to be jerks and make a list of "comics I hate" or something to that effect. (I don't know why someone would do that, but hate-following is a thing, so making a list isn't out of the question.)

I don't want to accuse people of doing bad things before they happen, but I do want there to be consideration over how people could misuse a feature that offers any amount of customization. I'm leaning towards lists being private, or letting people choose if they're publicly viewable.

eishiya wrote:Possible suggestion: On the favourites page (and in the dropdown, if lists are shown there), if the user has at least one custom list, have an "unread" section that just shows comics with pages the user hasn't read yet. Then below that, show the lists (with potentially repeated comics, if they're also in the "unread" section). This way, it's quick to access both all the comics you haven't caught up on yet, and to browse them according to the lists.

I think this is a good way to organize things.

sentiashinou wrote:It might also be cool to pick a particular list that shows up on your profile, like having a "My Recommendations" list rather than showing every comic you might currently be following.

I actually think this could be a really good workaround for what I'm worried about with people abusing a list system. At the very least, someone who might want to abuse a system of making lists would be limited to only sharing one mean list.
kayotics

Return to Suggestions & Feedback