Saved Templates

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Saved Templates

Postby CityBreak » December 28th, 2010, 10:42 pm

I Think if you have saved a template on a comic could you have it so that template can be used on other comics that you have. for example you have a comic called blah blah 1, it has a template you want to use on your other comic blah blah 2 but you don't want to have to copy and paste HTML codes beetween comics, instead you look down your template list, go down to saved templates and pick the saved template for blah blah 1 or any other saved template that you desire. I Beileve this will save some users loads of time.

so what do guys think
CityBreak

Re: Saved Templates

Postby eishiya » December 28th, 2010, 11:15 pm

I would like this too. One problem I see here:
If templates are account-bound rather than comic-bound, other authors of multi-author comics have no access to it. But if they're both, there'd need to be some serious backend data tracking that's just a bad idea. If a user has a choice to save a template as account-bound, comic-bound, or both, then there's likely to be a lot of user confusion.

I propose a different idea: Allow exporting templates as a single file, and importing such files. The file could just be a tarball of the various sections in plaintext, which means it could be easily shared , and easily packed/unpacked by SJ's servers, which would then set the layout to the contents of the tarball. If the contents of the tarball don't have the required structure (extra files, not enough files, wrong names, etc), then it should be rejected.
This has no risks that are not already faced by SJ - malicious uploads (can already happen with image uploads and Premium's extra file uploads) and malicious website code shared as templates - can already be done by giving people plaintext code, most users of SJ wouldn't notice.
eishiya

Postby CityBreak » December 28th, 2010, 11:53 pm

thanks for the reply. your soloution solves most of the problem
CityBreak

Postby MermaidUnderSea » December 29th, 2010, 12:33 pm

I'm not really for the idea. Why make the Admin code something that we can do ourselves? We can just copy all the code into one or more text files and we can open it/them whenever we want. I see no point for making the Admin do something we're too lazy to do ourselves. We should be happy to have comic-bound templates.
Wander Tones wrote:
Mr Aids wrote:I'm sorry, all I heard was 'boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs'.

And boobs is why boobs boobs this boobs.
MermaidUnderSea

Postby eishiya » December 29th, 2010, 12:45 pm

MermaidUnderSea: We could also host our comics ourselves, do ALL templates from scratch with nothing provided by default, have to code up commenting boxes ourselves... SJ does a lot of things that really just help us be lazy. You'll find that the vast majority of suggestions in this forum, including those that Admin has implemented, are just things that we're too lazy to do on our own every time we need them.

And so, we are thankful that he's willing to put in the time to let us be lazy.

I agree that this is something that's easy enough to do on our own without needing SJ to do it for us, but I don't think that alone is a valid reason to shoot the suggestion down. It is, after all, just that - a suggestion.
eishiya

Postby MermaidUnderSea » December 29th, 2010, 1:00 pm

So I can't give my opinion about a suggestion? Not everyone can host their own comic or has the knowledge to make their own templates. All I'm saying is that even the simplest person can save a template themselves.
Wander Tones wrote:

MermaidUnderSea

Postby eishiya » December 29th, 2010, 1:12 pm

With the number of people I've seen who'd try to put Overall code into Comic Page, etc... no, I'm not so sure "everyone" can copy a template over so easily. :P

And of course you can give your opinion on it, I just think that the reasoning behind it is not specific to this particular suggestion, and thus doesn't contribute to the thread. ...then again, neither does my opinion on your opinion. I apologize. And "no, we don't all want this, do something else" is probably a pretty damn good opinion, now that I reread it. ...it's my opinion on 90% of the suggestions in this forum, but I guess I usually don't think to actually voice it as you did, which is why yours came across as weird.
eishiya

Postby SuperBiasedMan » December 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but doesn't this mean that templates can be shared easier without Admin having to implement them onto the main site?
Once the single file containing the whole template has been uploaded then surely all anyone else has to do is download this file and re-upload it to their own comic.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the work involved, but doesn't this basically cut out any work required by Admin in the long run to implement new templates by having him do this once off that will keep a flow of new templates indefinitely without him having to do any more? I don't expect a massive influx of them, but we haven't had any added for a long time now and this feature could spark some inspiration for a few new ones.

EDIT: Also as eishiya points out it saves people creating their custom templates the hassle of trouble shooting for people after their template has been implemented.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby MermaidUnderSea » December 29th, 2010, 1:27 pm

eishiya wrote:but I guess I usually don't think to actually voice it as you did, which is why yours came across as weird.

I tend to be very vocal about my opinions on forums, since I know I won't get beaten up afterwards...

SuperBiasedMan wrote:Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but doesn't this mean that templates can be shared easier without Admin having to implement them onto the main site?

... but this, I would totally agree on. This kind of system is used for the templates in SheezyArt. People can choose to make their saved templates public so that other members can use it as well. Sad thing about their system is that you can't change it after you load it.
Wander Tones wrote:

MermaidUnderSea

Postby trenton_dawn » December 29th, 2010, 4:51 pm

This actually does sound a pretty cool idea. Like an exportable template file that you could share or send around or whatever.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby CityBreak » December 29th, 2010, 5:03 pm

exactly
CityBreak

Postby Shard » December 29th, 2010, 5:21 pm

This would actually be really helpful, especially for those of us who make our own layouts. It would mean we can make layouts for other people and they would be able to use it without having to accept someone they don't know or trust into their comic. When I make layouts for comics, I have a specific comic I use to make the layout on, then I have to copy-paste them over into the one they're meant for... Which can be annoying if the copy-paste doesn't register (which has happened to me before). There could also be a section of the site that lets you search for templates for your comic (kinda like DA lets you search for journal layouts). Perhaps an option that makes a layout only accessible to users you give permission to (if you've been asked to make a layout for them, etc).
ImageImage
Shard

Postby CityBreak » December 31st, 2010, 1:21 pm

so the idea would be an exportable template file that can be you can send to other authors for there comics or if you have another comic(s), you could also send it to that comic.

this idea if they did it could save loads of time.
CityBreak

Postby Asj » July 17th, 2011, 8:35 pm

eishiya wrote:I propose a different idea: Allow exporting templates . . .

Oooo, I just had an awesome idea! Why not have a link or something that allows you to transfer your template to another comic? Then you can transfer your template to one of your other comics with a few clicks, and if you're making or editing a template for someone else it'd be easy to transfer it between the parties. It'd be best to have a notice sent out to the receiving end, asking if they want to allow the trade, though.

...and people mentioned something like that in later posts. But this way, you wouldn't have to do the exporting and importing stuff yourself. But, there could also be the option to export it to your computer, if you don't want to send it to another comic, but want to have it handy on your harddrive.
Asj

Postby CityBreak » July 19th, 2011, 4:20 am

Asj wrote:
eishiya wrote:I propose a different idea: Allow exporting templates . . .

Oooo, I just had an awesome idea! Why not have a link or something that allows you to transfer your template to another comic? Then you can transfer your template to one of your other comics with a few clicks, and if you're making or editing a template for someone else it'd be easy to transfer it between the parties. It'd be best to have a notice sent out to the receiving end, asking if they want to allow the trade, though.

...and people mentioned something like that in later posts. But this way, you wouldn't have to do the exporting and importing stuff yourself. But, there could also be the option to export it to your computer, if you don't want to send it to another comic, but want to have it handy on your harddrive.

that is an awesome idea
CityBreak

Return to Suggestions & Feedback