Affiliates

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Affiliates

Postby Troll » December 30th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Not sure if this was suggested before.
I'm suggesting an Affiliates box on the right side (or wherever) on a comic profile.

Most often, "similar comics" links back comics that aren't really similar with yours. I think it only works better when you have a certain amount of fans... those non-popular ones are linked with random comics. With this you have the chance to put what you think is similar with yours.

-> If you affiliate a comic, then the "similar comic" shouldn't duplicate a comic that's already affiliated.
-> Entering the comic ID# in your settings - Banner should appear on the Affiliates Box.
It's up to the user though if they'll affiliate a random comic, their other comic, their friend's comic and whatnot.

Further suggestions, negative reactions, love messages, spam, death threats etc are welcome.
Last edited by Troll on January 2nd, 2011, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Troll

Re: Affiliates

Postby SuperBiasedMan » December 31st, 2010, 11:37 am

I like this idea, some people do have affiliates lists on their main site but this would be good to encourage people to get more involved with cross promoting their comic in the community.
And quite a few people have complained about the similar comics feature, it particularly seems to have problems with comics that have lower numbers of fans.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby eishiya » December 31st, 2010, 11:52 am

Agreed with SBM. And to put a slightly different perspective on the Similar Comics feature:
I have a BL comic. Naturally, with this being SJ, it has more than a few fans, but the Similar Comics list is still not that useful. Half of it is comics I pimped or those that pimped me, so we share a lot of fans - not really a measure of similarity, just a meta connection. The other half is just other BLs that happen to be plot-heavy and thus we share a lot of fans - SJ's "plotty BL" fanbase. There aren't really plot similarities. Aside from the comics that are marked as similar because of the pimping, I'm not at all interested in the comics listed as similar, because, well, they're not that similar. They're just more plotty BL. I'd consider some non-BL comics to be way more similar to my comic, but that's not what fancounts say, because it's the BL that matters, not the details of the plot.

Given that SJ tries to encourage people to branch out into reading lots of different comics rather than all the same stuff, I don't really see why we even need a "similar comics" feature like that. I'd love to see it replaced with an affiliates feature, or perhaps a non-mutual "Authors' Pick" sort of thing, giving users a little bit of the power of the Comic Spotlight. If there are more than six, it can randomly rotate through them (but I think there should be a limit of perhaps 8-12 so that the system doesn't become clogged with pointless affiliations). And if a comic doesn't have enough, then the remaining spots can be filled with "Similar" comics like now. People who choose not to participate in the affiliates system would therefore experience no change at all.

Affiliates feature: yes, please. But don't make it out to be some permanent commitment, make it clear that there's no obligation to remain affiliates, encourage rotation.

Edit: But just to note, on my non-BL comic with 300-ish fans, the similar comics feature actually works quite well.
eishiya

Postby MermaidUnderSea » January 1st, 2011, 3:22 pm

Oh, this would be great if it were implemented, but I think that would be more of a "You Might Like" kind of thing. If it were an Affiliates list, I think the author should be sent a message saying that someone wants to be affiliated with their comic or the author should be notified if their comic was put up on another person's list.

SuperBiasedMan wrote:And quite a few people have complained about the similar comics feature, it particularly seems to have problems with comics that have lower numbers of fans.

At first I was completely confused as to why one of my non-BL comic had BL on the Similar list, but yeah, the comics on my Similar lists are nothing like my comics.
Wander Tones wrote:
Mr Aids wrote:I'm sorry, all I heard was 'boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs'.

And boobs is why boobs boobs this boobs.
MermaidUnderSea

Postby Amante » January 1st, 2011, 3:29 pm

MermaidUnderSea wrote:At first I was completely confused as to why one of my non-BL comic had BL on the Similar list, but yeah, the comics on my Similar lists are nothing like my comics.

Well it seems to work off of a "Fans who like this comic also like..." basis. So I think it fits more of that routine than similar comics, since it doesn't compare genre or anything.
Any SJ related questions? Feel free to look around, and if you can't find an answer, make a topic here and we'll get to you as fast as we can! :D

BlackBlade Rising revamp COMING SOON!
Amante

Postby MermaidUnderSea » January 1st, 2011, 3:42 pm

Yes, I know that. It's just that (no offense) I don't want people to think my "clean" comic is similar to a BL.
Wander Tones wrote:
Mr Aids wrote:I'm sorry, all I heard was 'boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs'.

And boobs is why boobs boobs this boobs.
MermaidUnderSea

Postby BreakerLOLZ » January 19th, 2011, 1:51 am

Am I late to the party? This is a brilliant idea if it can be implemented successfully.
BreakerLOLZ

Postby pwii » January 21st, 2011, 4:27 pm

I second this.
Shoprocks wrote:Surely it's no coincidence that the more I talk about the characters, the gayer they get.

Interterrestrial wrote:...and I can tell you strange things that you probably never wanted to know like the fact that I have a can of beets in my closet and I didn't put it there
pwii

Postby Guest » February 4th, 2011, 6:22 am

What happen? I did to put a comment here yesterday. But you erase it? Why?! Did I tell something is wrong about your threads?

Postby Alexis_Royce » May 10th, 2012, 12:28 pm

This is an excellent idea. There are several comics on Smackjeeves that I think readers of mine might like, but not know about. And while I'm not sure, I had the feeling that "similar" comics were chosen by having a group of readers favorite both, in which case the box ends up kind of preaching to the choir.
Alexis_Royce

Return to Suggestions & Feedback