It's Medicinal I swear

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

It's Medicinal I swear

Postby Rehab Bunny » August 15th, 2012, 6:02 am

Art is a good stress reliever, but I'm normally a sketchy kind of person and I figured my art needed some help.
Hopefully, attempting to upkeep a regular sketchbook will lead me to actually... well, do more. Critique or comment wherever you see fit, xD I'm sure I'll benefit from it all.

Spoiler! :

I'll probably draw some more today, just need ideas. haha.
Last edited by Rehab Bunny on June 14th, 2017, 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rehab Bunny

Re: It's medicinal, I swear.

Postby Durvin » August 16th, 2012, 12:46 am

That's pretty awesome. I usually try to think of something to complain about--a holdover from school art critiques when you weren't allowed to be completely positive--but I can't see anything. A few of the poses look a little stiff or awkward, like the girl in the third one with her hands behind her back, but most of them are nice and fluid. I can't help but notice that these are all pretty unfinished...let's see some that are finished and see if you can follow through.

And another holdover from school critiques: name-dropping. I'm thinking sort of Jamie Hewlett meets Brian Froud? Except not nearly as crazy as that makes it sound?
Durvin

Postby Rehab Bunny » August 22nd, 2012, 7:27 am

@ Durvin
Thanks,
Yeah, I'm actually not all that great with poses. I should do some more anatomy studies real soon. Sketches tend to be my thing, but I'll try and do something more 'finished'. If that counts inks or colour.

It's a shame I didn't recognise those artists by name, but I do adore their work. Especially Hewlett's.

Something from the other day:
Spoiler! :
You Can't Have Long Hair
My Dear,
It will get tangled in those devil horns of yours,
And devil horns aren't attractive.

Edit:
And something more 'finished'
Spoiler! :
Rehab Bunny

Postby AlkseeyaKC » August 22nd, 2012, 8:46 pm

You have a nice sketching style! X3
AlkseeyaKC

Postby Rehab Bunny » August 23rd, 2012, 6:06 am

@AlkseeyaKC

Thanks!

Now, some silly things from my sketchbook. Mostly experiments and minor studies.
Spoiler! :

Edit:
Painterly stuff:
Spoiler! :

Next update, should have girls with a little more meat. o.O' Who knows.
Rehab Bunny

Postby Rehab Bunny » October 2nd, 2013, 1:45 pm

*Updates a year later*

Some recent WIP stuff. Gonna try my hand at inking soon.

Spoiler! :
Rehab Bunny

Postby alohinun » October 2nd, 2013, 7:46 pm

You have an interesting variety of work! I'm a painter by training, so it's exciting to see some traditional media painting-type stuff on these forums. In your painting studies, you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the volume of the various forms that you're focusing on when you choose to focus on them (eyes, lips, etc), but there seems to be a lack of following through in the whole piece! It seems like when you decide you want to make a specific kind of mark (be it with ink or paint), and you decide to make it, it comes out very strongly and well done (some of the lines in hair, the eyes, etc), but there are other places in your pieces where some of the markmaking choices read as being haphazard or chosen out of a non-specific intent or a need to fill in space rather than create a specific mark (this is most evident in the backgrounds or in areas that you seem to be less interested in painting- ex,the blue shirt in that portrait pair near the end,. Be careful of that!

In your non-painting/study work, you seem to be really interested in linework! The lines that you're developing are starting to go in interesting directions, but there are still some foundation anatomical issues that come up. Hands and feet tend to be undeveloped, and the figures usually have parts of their anatomy- mostly joints- that don't function in the ways that they should. I think this is probably just a more-practice-makes-perfect kind of deal! You have an interesting style, and I'm excited to see where it ends up going!
alohinun

Postby Rehab Bunny » October 3rd, 2013, 12:33 am

@alohinun

Asdfghjkl <3 I like you because you literally pointed out all my flaws. I do quite a fair amount of traditional things, one because I have to, and two because at times I've come to enjoy it. For an art exam I produced these:

Spoiler! :

Which I definitely enjoyed. But I've been fairly out of practice this year. Both digitally (which I suck at) and traditionally. I also get uh, bored quickly and often strapped for time. I've never really paid attention to the 'mark I make', but to hear you put it like that - I'll definitely be paying attention to the overall piece and the little details that come with it.

I don't have much pride/or time in my colouring skills so I do tend to stick to lines. That being said, I've definitely put off studying hands, feet and certain joints in places. However, I'm glad it shows - it means I definitely need to stop and work on them now. I tend to study separate facial features and body parts rather than gesture drawing, that may be where I've gone wrong. So you've pretty much hit the nail the head with what you said.

Regardless, thank you for taking a look! I've definitely been slacking, I should be doing some studies later today.
Rehab Bunny

Postby Rehab Bunny » July 26th, 2014, 7:23 am

So uh, It's been a while...

I've been practicing comic-ky stuff (literally since yesterday) , and its fun when I know what I'm doing. A little more stressful when I realise I have to do environments and angles xD.
No idea what I'm doing, but the learning curve sure is interesting. Sketching out page designs, forces me to use angles and poses I would avoid like the plague, simply because it enhances the flow of the story. Even though, I'm dying to just do the whole thing in chibi format and be over with it.
Have some mediocre practice page sketches.
ImageImage

Maybe you guys can see an improvement, or style change of some sort. xD I still think I have a very long way to go.
(and no I don't speak classic latin) : D

Edit: I just realised that the last image in the first post, is the same girl I've just posted. Look how much she's grown!
Last edited by Rehab Bunny on July 26th, 2014, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rehab Bunny

Postby FourStringFingerSting » July 26th, 2014, 9:26 am

Your work is beautiful! I love your paintings, and your sketches show a really nice style. I agree with alohinun that you tend to leave hands and feet underdeveloped, which could use some work. I also have art school training, and I've been taught that viewers tend to go straight for the head, and then the hands whenever there's a human figure as the subject. You wanna make sure those things are working.

Keep at it, these are great! You should update more often :)
Check out my brand new book project on Gumroad, "This Is Jim!"
Also check out my garage punk band I Eat Stickfigures here!
FourStringFingerSting

Postby Rehab Bunny » July 26th, 2014, 10:37 am

@FourStringFingerSting

:oops: That's so lovely of you to say! Yeah, hands and feet are my nemesis. But I'm slowly overcoming it. Another reason for starting a comic, I have to draw them. Although, I haven't been to 'art school', I do hope to study an animation degree in the future! I agree with the head and hands ideology, I do it myself. xD I'll try to update more, since I'm actually working on things I'm allowed to show now! (aka, my own stuff).

Also, I can't wait for your own comic to be up. Just the first strip made me giggle.
Rehab Bunny

Postby FourStringFingerSting » July 26th, 2014, 11:10 am

Rehab Bunny wrote:@FourStringFingerSting

:oops: That's so lovely of you to say! Yeah, hands and feet are my nemesis. But I'm slowly overcoming it. Another reason for starting a comic, I have to draw them. Although, I haven't been to 'art school', I do hope to study an animation degree in the future! I agree with the head and hands ideology, I do it myself. xD I'll try to update more, since I'm actually working on things I'm allowed to show now! (aka, my own stuff).

Also, I can't wait for your own comic to be up. Just the first strip made me giggle.

You're welcome! No worries, I definitely need some practice myself, I'm pretty stiff with my posing, and could do well with some further anatomical study in general, not just hands and feet. Keep up the great work though, and I'm looking forward to my comic being released too, I hope everyone enjoys it :)
Check out my brand new book project on Gumroad, "This Is Jim!"
Also check out my garage punk band I Eat Stickfigures here!
FourStringFingerSting

Postby Rehab Bunny » August 2nd, 2014, 2:33 am

SO STUFF.
I get bored, kinda and have a lot I should be doing. So more stress relief. Have a stylised cyborg girl for a possible comic strip. My lines are a little messy on this, but I don't care too much. :roll:

Her name is Iva. She's a humanoid robot. Noone likes her. I might actually use her for something. I just need a comic name.

Why is her chest so large but her waist so small? Because mankind is full of perverts.
Eyebrow game is strong. Feel free to crit or something. I can always learn from it. Go redline. go wild.
ImageThis was the sketch: Image
Rehab Bunny

Postby Rehab Bunny » August 2nd, 2014, 3:32 pm

I couldn't wait. so uh. rolling on the picture I posted earlier today. Here's a mock thing.
I suppose it's like a mock cover page? Anyway. Its a sketch. One is standard shape, while the other includes little robotic elements, since she's meant to be mechanical...

Spoiler! :

I hate anatomy. The anatomy here is wrong, overly large hip bones, but I was trying to match my style above of thin frame and overly large assets. A bit like the eve in this animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwEGP441p1A

Blah, don't ask me why she has toes. She doesn't need them. Trying to think of all the parts you wouldn't include in a cyborg design that is like a human, since it's counter-productive or not as efficient. e.g ears. I'm sure there's a much more elegant design for them.
Rehab Bunny

Postby eishiya » August 2nd, 2014, 4:15 pm

Toes are actually extremely useful for maintaining balance and sensing uneven ground, so it would make sense for an advanced cyborg to have toes or something similar. Also, if she is an augmented human rather than something made from scratch and programmed to use this body from the beginning, having robotic toes would be easier for her brain to handle than something totally different, since it would avoid the need to rewire or relearn that aspect of locomotion.

tl;dr: It's not a bad design choice to give her toes.

Ears are a less practical option, but they too can easily be justified since their shape allows them to capture a lot of sound relative to their size and helps in determining direction, and humans generally react better/warmer to humanoids with ears compared to those without.
eishiya

Next

Return to Creative Showcase