Glue's art thread

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Glue's art thread

Postby Glueckskeks » April 5th, 2015, 8:44 am

I think I really need some critique for my drawings lately, so I figured I'd start a thread here. Any kind of feedback is welcome :D

This'll mostly be fanart because I don't like posting original art online most of the time.

I'm not sure how to continue with this one. There's definitely something wrong with her torso but I don't know what or how to fix it. (And I haven't bothered drawing the hands yet)
Spoiler! :

I don't have much experience drawing people from the back, so this one looks a bit wonky as well (though I like how the hair turned out)
Spoiler! :

This one is a bit older
Spoiler! :

And here's some smaller drawings
Spoiler! :
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Glueckskeks on January 16th, 2016, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glueckskeks

Re: Glue's general art thread

Postby mitchellbravo » April 5th, 2015, 9:48 am

I can only really give feedback on the one-
Glueckskeks wrote:
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
She kind of has like a snake type body going on, I think that's the issue with the torso. When you sketch out where body parts are before you outline them, are you breaking the torso into two pieces (chest/ribcage and hips/waist)? Right now it looks like her rib cage is a bunch of individual ribs that can move independently of one another, like a stack of plates that can be slid around instead of a mostly immobile connected unit.

The chest/ribcage segment and the hips/waist segment also counterbalance each other. For instance if the body is reaching up with the left arm (and therefore the left shoulder is angled up), the hip/waist segment counterbalances by lifting the right hip/side. I think you're doing a little bit of that here but I just wanted to point it out so that way if you weren't aware you did it, you'll be aware next time and be able ot keep doing it and do it more intentionally.

I think the torso is in general too long, especially given how thin her arms are mapped out to be. Right now there's what looks like it would be a huge space between the bottom of her ribcage and the top of her hip. Take note on your own body how little space there actually is between the ribs and the hips. Because the nonrib part of her torso is so long, the angle of her turn also looks too exaggerated. A person trying to pose like that with shoulders square to the viewer and yet with hips pointing the other way is probably not going to look as relaxed as she does.

Also the hip area gets kind of iffy. Looking at the length of the thigh we can see, I am trying to figure out where her other leg attaches to her body- the front leg looks good, but the line that would be connecting the waist to the other leg should be IMO more straight, because right now it gives the impression that she has kind of a hotdog shaped body and the leg nearest us is connected like a regular person non-hotdog body leg and the other leg is just kind of poked in there, if that makes any sense.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Glueckskeks » April 5th, 2015, 11:24 am

That was really detailed. Thank you very much for putting so much thought into it. I think I tend to divide the upper body into chest and waist rather than the ribcage and the more wobbly bits, so maybe that's where my problems come from.

I tried to apply some of your corrections, but there's a few things I can't really change unless I redraw everything, so some of your advice will have to go into the next drawing instead. But I changed the position of the leg and tried to reduce the degree by which she turns a bit. Does it look any better? (sorry it's a photograph, but I'd have to go to the library to scan it properly)
Spoiler! :
Glueckskeks

Postby mitchellbravo » April 5th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Yes, that's a lot better! Her torso also looks a lot more human now than kind of the tube shape it had been. And yeah, it's good that you're not focusing too much on fixing this one exact piece becayse the best thing to do is just to like you said focus on improving it the next time. The only real thing I would change now is the top line of the leg closest to us probably doesn't need to go back/inward so far anymore. Like if you think about where that leg is attaching to that hip you can probably truncate that line a lot sooner, like closer to where we start to see the pant design on the other leg. Not sure if this is making sense but in general I think that's a good improvement and that you'll start to be able to get it the more you work on poses like that- I wouldn't belabor this one further, but I think you fixed the more dire issues it has.

Anatomy is really difficult. You'd think living in a body and looking at it every day we'd have a better mental library of how to draw this stuff as humans, but in practice it gets super frustrating.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Glueckskeks » April 17th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Thank you for all the help. I haven't gotten much in terms of critiques for a while now, so it's hard for me to see issues with things sometimes, but your comments helped quite a bit. And yeah, anatomy is pretty hard. I can never seem to figure out what is supposed to go where. But I think part of the problem is that the human body has a certain degree of flexibility, so sometimes it's hard to tell if you're drawing someone in a dynamic or uncomfortable pose, or if they'd need to have a few broken bones to achieve that pose. I also have that problem with features, since some people naturally have eyes that don't quite align or a lopsided mouth, but it easily looks like I just drew everything in the wrong place rather than a realistically asymmtrical face.

I haven't really had time to draw much due to exams coming up and I can't spend too much energy on trying to really improve stuff but here's something from about a week ago:
Spoiler! :
Glueckskeks

Postby walkin_talkin_apocolyps » April 30th, 2015, 9:39 am

i like yur designs. yur pretty good at clothes :) except it seems like ya only draw cutsie girls. it could be good practice to try drawin more kinds of people humans

and for this'n
Spoiler! :

i think the main dealio that makes it weird is that her head is sorta exorcisting. it shouldnt be able to turn around that much. also i feel like her left pigtail should be over her left shoulder. since she just turned her head around. and the right pigtail could be a little farther back

i ALSO think her back and neck look too straight. her legs kinda make it seem like shes leanin back but from the waist up she looks like shes leaning forward. and her head isnt leaning either way

but i DO like all the detail ya put in! and her colors C:
walkin_talkin_apocolyps

Postby Glueckskeks » December 3rd, 2015, 3:52 pm

So I somehow haven't updated this thread in ages, which is a bad habit of mine. Most of the sites I post art to tend to get neglected for extended time periods every one in a while. I've been sketching a lot and haven't done a lot of fully finished pictures, but here's some relatively recent stuff:

This is an oc of sorts. The pose is a bit simple, but I'm still pretty happy with it
Spoiler! :

I also got a tablet and tried drawing more digitally. Drawing people doesn't seem to work out yet so I've been drawing cakes and similar things to work on my technique
Spoiler! :

And here are a bunch of sketches and such
Spoiler! :
Image Image
Image Image Image

@walkin_talkin_apocolyps I'm sorry for not replying for a few months, but your comments were actually very helpful. They really helped me understand what went wrong in that drawing so I'll know what to avoid when I attempt a similar picture next time. And yeah, I mostly draw cute girls because they're the most fun to draw. I've been trying to branch out a bit but mainly just into pretty boy territory. I occasionally try drawing different faces and body types, but it doesn't really show so far
Glueckskeks

Postby Glueckskeks » January 1st, 2016, 5:08 pm

Some new stuff:

Link
and Link

And an art summary thing. I'll try to bring a bit more variety into my drawings next year :D
Spoiler! :
Glueckskeks

Re: Glue's art thread

Postby Glueckskeks » January 16th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Some more recent stuff:

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

And I tried digital drawing again. Somehow the first one turned out a lot better than the second (in my opinion) and I'm not entirely sure why
Spoiler! :
Glueckskeks

Postby Glueckskeks » July 1st, 2016, 6:59 pm

I still exist so I figured I should post some stuff I've been drawing. They're all links because I don't have the energy or committment to resize things appropriately

I'd be happy to get some feedback :D
Glueckskeks

Postby vera kulikov » July 16th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Hello Glue,

So I just want to say you seem to have a lot going for you already. Your attention to detail in costume design is amazing, and your use of colors seems great! A suggestion I have is to maybe practice drawing arms and legs, not that their is really any issue of how you draw them now, but maybe to get more comfortable with more diverse poses. Overall, great job and keep practicing!

WIPs and stuff on twitter!: https://twitter.com/vikikuli
Action, Fantasy, City Life, Mystery, Humor, Romance all in one comic! Who could ask for more!
vera kulikov

Postby Glueckskeks » October 17th, 2016, 4:41 pm

Thank you for your feedback :D I should probably mention that most of what I draw is fanart, so most of the designs aren't my own work. But I do love drawing detailed outfits and I hope I'll get better at designing them eventually. Dynamic poses are something I definitely need to work on, but I haven't made much progress on that end.

Here's some new stuff:
Glueckskeks

Postby Glueckskeks » February 12th, 2017, 4:25 pm

It's been a while since I put serious effort into anything, so it'd be nice to get some feedback/critique on this one. I know the proportions ended up pretty off, but a detailed breakdown would still help. (feedback on anything else I've posted so far is welcome as well, of course)
Glueckskeks

Postby trenton_dawn » February 13th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Were you painting this one at an angle? When I look at it head-on, the pose seems unbalanced towards my left. But if I tilt my head a little, it looks better. Basically, what I'm seeing is that the center of gravity doesn't line up with the leg that's on the ground. If you try pausing in the middle of a step, especially, with one foot completely off the ground, you would be more centered around the grounded foot. Along the same lines, people usually don't lift their back foot completely off the ground unless they're jogging/running. It also seems like the way the right hand is holding the gun, it would get in the way of your legs so that you'd kick it as you walk.

Overall, though, those are relatively minor criticisms and I think the piece as a whole looks pretty good. I actually really like your watercolor style, it's very soft and delicate.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Glueckskeks » February 13th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Hmm, I think I might tilt my head a bit while drawing, so maybe that's the reason. Or maybe I rotated my paper while working on it and that's why it ended up like this. Thank you for pointing that out. I wasn't really aware of it before you said it, but I guess I don't really have a good sense of balancing/grounding characters properly. Do you have any tips/advice for how to improve on that or what to pay attention to?. And I think I need to observe people a bit more. I feel like a lot of the poses I draw don't really look natural.

Thank you for the thoughtful comments! Some parts of the colouring kind of turned into a mess, but manage to look semi-deliberate.

Here's some more things that could use a critique if anyone is feeling inclined:
Spoiler! :
Glueckskeks

Next

Return to Creative Showcase