Damatris arts

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Damatris arts

Postby Fukairi » February 19th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Damatris wrote:Thank you for the tips and the link! :)

I actually usually do use bluish/cool colors for shadows, instead of picking a darker version of the base color. Could it be using "multiply" that muddles the colors? I'm still really inexperienced with digital and haven't figured out how to use it to create what I want. (Not that I don't have the same problem with traditional) I remember starting to use multiply as it was mentioned on some tutorial read but maybe it's not the right fit for the methods I use.

Multiply is someting a lot of people who work on photoshop use (atleast, on deviantart.) However, I think it'd really be beneficial for you to just scrap all manipulation layers and just try to colour the paintings in a more traditional way. Multiply layers work if you go far out with the colours, but you are using some very toned colours (closer to gray). That's why I suggested the palette excersices, so you can break from the muted murky tones and use more prime colours. After some practice you can go back to experimenting with the multiply layers, but right now the focus point should be getting the colours right in a way that your brain regocnizes it (uhm, muscle memory? I am not a native english speaker). I had a friend who struggled with colours much the same way (she also was very keen on manipulation layers instead of getting the colour balance right) and really the only thing that works is just practicing it a lot. THis is of course if you want to, the murky-toned shading is just a pet peeve of mine so I feel very passionatelly about it, lol.
Fukairi

Postby Damatris » February 19th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Oh, that explains the multiply better than on the tutorials I've seen it. Usually it has been along the lines of "And for shadows click the layer on multiply" without any additional info about it. :) And considering I still don't know much about how digital coloring works (been doing it about a year now), that's what I've been doing. But I'll definitely try coloring more traditional-like next time to avoid the murkiness. It's not something I'm looking for as I'd much prefer getting the color balance right.
Damatris

Postby Fukairi » February 19th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Damatris wrote:Oh, that explains the multiply better than on the tutorials I've seen it. Usually it has been along the lines of "And for shadows click the layer on multiply" without any additional info about it. :) And considering I still don't know much about how digital coloring works (been doing it about a year now), that's what I've been doing. But I'll definitely try coloring more traditional-like next time to avoid the murkiness. It's not something I'm looking for as I'd much prefer getting the color balance right.

Multiply layers manipulate the colours underneath, so only colouring with multiply layers will never have very 'bright' results when it comes to colours. They can be useful if you are mapping how the light will be in the picture, but imho it's better to colour on normal layers, leave the manipulation messing for later.

I actually compiled a thing for you that shows you the colour difference between normal/multiply

N=Normal layer
M= Multiply
L=Luminosity/colour dodge.

aboutmultiply.png
precentage = transparency
(289.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Fukairi

Postby Damatris » February 20th, 2016, 6:54 am

Ooh, thank you so much! This is super useful!
Damatris

Postby Fukairi » February 21st, 2016, 12:49 am

Damatris wrote:Ooh, thank you so much! This is super useful!

np, happy to help o/ digital painting can be a hassle at first with all the different layers & properties.
Fukairi

Postby Damatris » June 16th, 2016, 5:42 am

I finally made character references :3

Damatris

Postby eishiya » June 16th, 2016, 12:31 pm

You're making some common mistakes when drawing heads from below, so here are some notes I sketched that will hopefully help you:
Spoiler! :

Edit: Would you mind if I posted this on Tumblr for other people to make use of? I loosely traced that top left drawing from your work so I don't want to post it without your permission.
eishiya

Postby Damatris » June 16th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Aah, thank you so much! Chins from that view are something I always struggle with. I seriously feel that every time I update this thread I get really, really good and useful advice and tips.

And of course you can post it!
Damatris

Postby Damatris » July 13th, 2016, 8:37 am

This man turned me into Voltron-trash. <3
Last edited by Damatris on January 13th, 2017, 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damatris

Postby eishiya » July 13th, 2016, 9:25 am

Would you mind if I redlined that one? I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you :'D
You make solid art with relatively few issues, and the mistakes you do make are easy to pin down, which is probably why your thread gets more feedback here than most others.

The foreshortened part of his arm doesn't look foreshortened, and that's what I wanted to sketch over. There are two issues: the white arm-home is shofted over more than it probably should be, and the drawn curves on the arm don't follow the curvature of the arm itself, which is what makes the foreshortening not work as well, even though the arm position and shape itself is fine.

Edit: I haven't seen Voltron, but depending on what sort of scar his is meant to be, maybe you can make it seem more serious/interesting by making the outline either indent a little or pop out a little on the scar on his nose. With the line there being perfectly flat, it makes the scar look painted-on. Animated shows usually keep scars flat to make them easy to draw, but in still art we can afford to make them juicier 8]

Editedit: Years ago I made this sketch/study of all those weird parts of ears and which are dips and which stick out, maybe it'll help you with ears? In case you can't read my awful handwriting: the red parts are "dips" and the green parts stick outward, while the yellowed areas are ones with the most individual variation (deeper/shallower reds, flatter/higher greens).
For actually drawing ears though, the hook-Y-bump method works nicely, and it's more or less how I draw ears in profile. The above study is just more useful for drawing them from other views.
eishiya

Postby Damatris » July 13th, 2016, 11:21 am

I definitely wouldn't mind! I had issues with that arm and kinda went with the best version after getting frustrated about the fact that I didn't manage to make it look natural. xD Seeing a corrected version would be super helpful! Good point about the scar. I think I'll correct it with the arm later. :D

And don't worry about me feeling picked on. I actually really like posting here because I get constructive criticism. It's really great that people are willing to point things out that I could improve on and giving tips how to achieve it. I often have a vague feeling of "this isn't right" but it can take time to figure out what's the thing bugging me. So it gets a lot easier to start tackling the problems when someone else points them out, like with the shading and chins.
Damatris

Postby eishiya » July 13th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Alrighty, I hope this helps!
Spoiler! :

The lighter pink dotted lines are probably confusing. Basically, the arm-flesh and the chest-flesh collide and squish each other in this pose, but because his forearm's in the way, we can't actually see this. I included it just because it can influence how you shape the visible parts of the upper arm, depending on how realistically you want to do it. My redline mostly ignores the squish.

The main things that I think would help "sell" the foreshortening:
- Showing the bicep muscle overlap the deltoid muscle. By leaving the arm an undefined cylinder, you're losing a great opportunity to show foreshortening and make him look as bulky as he is in the show. Even noodle-armed people (like me!) have some of this overlap.
- Making the boundary of the white (robo?) part of his arm follow the curve of the arm. For this you need to know the shape of the arm, which is why it helps to sketch in even those parts that are hidden. This is something you can do with anything resting on or attached to the arm, whether it's folds on clothing, tattoos, scars, etc. Curve them all to follow the arm. I see that you tried this, but because it's not a straightforward line and you didn't seem sure of the form of the arm, it didn't read very well.
eishiya

Postby Damatris » July 18th, 2016, 9:31 am

Thank you for the help! Correcting the things you mentioned really made it look lots better.
Last edited by Damatris on January 13th, 2017, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damatris

Postby eishiya » July 18th, 2016, 1:07 pm

That definitely has a better sense of volume! I'm glad you figured out what I meant in that mess of a sketch :]
eishiya

Postby Damatris » November 21st, 2016, 11:17 am

Concept art for another comic idea. Might continue working on the background later. ...Once I actually know how that city will look like. xD
Damatris

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Showcase