Ink Is A Thing Again

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Ink Is A Thing Again

Postby Soft Dorito » April 6th, 2016, 12:04 am

Heyo! So I remade my account here and so here's the new art thread. There's some repeats from the old. But I also ditched my photobucket, so some of those are gone too. Mostly in this last extremely bumpy year I haven't had the time or space to really get in and get some art sketched, inked, and colored, but I have had the time to sketch, photograph, and color said sketches some, mostly in between things.
All that said, I'm starting way back at the end of 2014 when I started coloring sketches for the hell of it and going up to the newest from...I think like, Friday (4/1/16). And since there's that much I won't do it all at once. Oh, and for some characters I'll post drawings between that time at once. Probably. XD

So starting here and going onto who knows what. Now they're wonky, they're wiggly, they're sketchy, they're the shit I came up with!
(All these on this post are from late 2014 to mid 2015).
So this is Tabitha. She's a magic princess that gets taken from her kingdom and ends up in space. She's been ill most of her life and is very serious and stoic at first, though her pet rabbit (Furnice) is a good comfort.

This is Luke. He's an interdimensional criminal who is actually kind of a radioactive hitchhiker. He's mostly wanted for that. He's very snippy and thinks he knows best, even though, you know, no.

Kiara is an OC based on my friend's cat, made in part for a storyline she was developing. At this time she's a member of a rescue team in my main project. Very smart, very good at her job, not up to training noobs. She likes to focus. I was doing a thing with overlaying textures (usually this one) over the sketches. I dropped it after a while, but I like some use of it.

This dude is named Castle, and he was a part of a dropped project. I've worked him into my main project as a member of Kiara's team. He's very vain and would like praise and good paid time off, always please/thank. Kiara was not a part of his hiring process because of her irritation with the process, something she deeply regrets. She mainly gets along with another member of the team, Cameron (who will be posted here later).

This is Shell, and the only sketch here I didn't draw. I colored a sketch my friend did of an OC I described to her as part of an exercise. Shell here is drawn in as close as my friend got (pretty close I think) to Akira Toriyama's style, since she's for a DBZ RP. We pretty much reworked the "Tuffles returning" idea from GT, and Shell is one of them. Neither of us really liked GT and it's for fun, so we just did whatever. XD

Okay, I have to go to bed, but I'll post some more tomorrow! :D
Last edited by Soft Dorito on November 26th, 2016, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Sketch Thead! :D
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Soft Dorito

Re: Mostly Sketchy Business

Postby Soft Dorito » April 6th, 2016, 12:14 am

Actually, I wanted to post a couple more. I'll hate myself tomorrow, but that's for future me to worry about.

So I wanted to post a few from 2014-2016 of the same character, mostly because that character has changed their face a bit.

ImageImageImage
This is Alessa Jager. She's a combat medic in a world that was caught between an intergalactic war and promptly forgotten. Alessa was born with a discoloration to her skin, something that affects part of the populace following the war and can have varying symptoms. The change from the initial sketch was mostly because something with her design didn't click with me. The second to third was mostly me getting used to drawing/coloring her face.

Now g'night!
Molly-sama (here from 09) - If anyone was waiting on my comic just know its deletion was entirely by accident. : | It's here, but it will be back on SJ soon.
Soft Dorito

Postby Soft Dorito » April 6th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Okay so, continuing. This post is for those that don't have much beyond their design just yet. They're still being tinkered with, and if I tried to put that here it would just be a mess.
Nyx

Mia

Simon

Apollo
Soft Dorito

Postby Soft Dorito » April 6th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Okay so I have some actual stuff with these next ones.

Sellie, aka Seline and formerly Jinx, is a 20 year old member of a traveling clan. She was a foundling who always seems to know something she's not supposed to and will most definitely use any knowledge she gets for whatever she wants.

ImageImage
This is one I never posted, but this is Sellie's adopted sister. She has no name and is referred to only as "X," mostly because of fairies. She's a mage who can kick many types of ass many different ways and always will for her siblings (there's a total of three including her, but I haven't colored the last one yet). She may even kick her siblings' asses if need be to keep them from doing stupid things.
Soft Dorito

Postby Soft Dorito » April 6th, 2016, 10:46 pm

I redid a panel from a short comic I did back in 2007:

Last for tonight are my fan arting.

Sora from Kingdom Hearts

Usagi and Luna from Sailor Moon

Sort of one?
I drew my warden from Dragon Age Origins, based on an actual OC. Her name is Ramona. Super sweet and polite arcane warrior unless you start saying stupid things, then she's a smartass.
Soft Dorito

Postby Sonic-ock » April 8th, 2016, 9:20 am

Molly? awesome work here!
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby Soft Dorito » April 8th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Sonic-ock wrote:Molly? awesome work here!

Yup! ^_^ And thank you! :D

Okay so I almost fell asleep driving home last night, so I'll resume posting now, lol. Also I only have a general memory of when I posted some of these (like I know Nyx was first and Tabitha was right after, but after that it's mostly that Alessa's older one is older than her newer, etc. lol).

So these dorks are Brittany and Joey. A lot of my stories have to do with fairies/fae courts, etc., and some impact on the 'regulars' around. These two were basically turned into pseudo-fae and kept as child soldiers in a story that is probably too ridiculously complicated, but I'm working on that. XD
Brittany was conditioned further than Joey, and once the two of them are back in regular society he fits in a bit better. Brittany gets adopted at 13 and has a doozy of a time living a normal life for that and various other reasons that are surely a mystery. I drew her guardian at work but I must've gotten distracted af because dude's got the yaoi hands. I'll...redo that one.
Brittany changes a lot in the story, which at this point jumps in when she's 13 (middle), 16 (right), and 19 (left).

Also: Joey is on loan from my friend Brandy, aka Pagan. But for my purposes I've got free reign to write him as I will, and I already have put in a lot to bring him to where he's at, so we're both good.
Soft Dorito

Postby Soft Dorito » April 8th, 2016, 10:42 pm

So now here's Kakeru, who I got a huge freaking need to draw a few months ago and just ran with it. He's a minor character of my current main project, as Hana's father (mother is MIA atm). The fact that he is very pretty is actually parts of his characterization. Kakeru used to be a fae, but circumstance slapped him into a physical body. One that isn't entirely well and has lived for far too long. So centuries into a bad situation (and basically being used for slave labor to a powerful immortal for much of that time) has also made him a functioning alcoholic and about 1K% done with life.

ImageImage
This is the first picture I did of Kakeru in what is now his consistent design and another that's the first with him a little rounder. One thing is that I'll occasionally draw him this slim and other times he'll be a little on the chubby side, but I'm hoping to show a little (very slight) fluctuation in his weight.
The immortal stuck him in a magic shop, so lights. XD
Mostly this one was playing with the lights. Kakeru can't lie to save his life but confrontations are always awkward.
A rare day out. That background was me with no assignments at work and wanting something beside "floating in space" except I hadn't sketched a background. Kakeru also has minor control over water as part of having been fae.
Kakeru's best friend (and initially his chief enabler) is a nightclub owner who calls himself Bella Luna, or just Bella. After a while, the two are extremely close and Bella is one of the main causes Kakeru's life shifts completely.
(Bella's another loaner I've worked my butt off on for Pagan.)
This is my favorite one. XD Kakeru with his drink, just chillin'. I ended up loving him with braids after this, but nothing else got colored yet.
Now in this corner is the old as fuck meme the combo breaker!
This is Harvey. He's Bella's lover-turned-husband, a lawyer who appears far more sleazy than he actually is. He's never really right with Bella's enabling, and it's because of him that Hana and her little brother Hikaru have a semi-normal life. He and Bella are their legal guardians til Kakeru is able. That background is some stock I threw a filter on, lol.
(Same deal with Bella.)
Last edited by Soft Dorito on April 8th, 2016, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft Dorito

Postby Soft Dorito » April 8th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Okay! So coming up to the end. Here's the main cast of my main project! :D

Heeeere's the protagonist! This is Ira. He's a shy little nerd who is sweet as can be but is still like 15 and is also extremely frustrated with a lot in his life. He's a little bit of a doormat. He has a girlfriend, Hana, a class with his crush who is also the totally hottest guy in the school* (O.M.G. w/e!!11!!), and a best friend who, if he keeps up his snide remarks she will put him through the wall. Really, his biggest problem is being a little too nice to tell his parents PLEASE GIVE THE DOOR BACK AND ALSO CAN I NOT SHARE WITH TODDLER SIBLINGS KTHX. Well, until the story proper, anyway. Then all hell breaks loose and there are faeries with swords, ok.
*note: Ira IS bi

Ira also has some huge teeth. Like just...too much teeth. All of them. Too big.
The second picture is a much newer one. Like this past month, and the other is October 2014 I think?

This one is Ira, around 3 or 4 years old, with his dad Will. Ira was born when will was 19, so he was still really young at this point. But Will really did try his best.
Ira at around 9, for a school picture because that's how it ended up looking. XD
Ira snoozin' on his couch bed thing with his cat Duke.
Soft Dorito

Postby Seven Rain » April 8th, 2016, 11:21 pm

Oooh, I like Ira's new design!
Sonic-ock wrote:
Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Wheres the swear jar.

Look, I'll say whatever the HECK I want whenever I dingle DARN well please!
Seven Rain

Postby Soft Dorito » April 9th, 2016, 1:22 am

Seven Rain wrote:Oooh, I like Ira's new design!

Oh I just sent you a PM. XD lol sorry. Thank you!!! :D

I'm also going to have him pull back the bangs a little here and there, but I have only one style/sketch I like of it so far. Also if my descriptions go off it's because I really really really wanna post these because I might not have time tomorrow but I'm so tired lol.
Some more Ira's:
Ira before his long hair. He loves a band shirt and an album for a terrible band. XD Ira can be a bit emotional at times.
Coy/schemy Ira before the longer hair.
Ira becomes a little more gender fluid as time rolls on, so his wardrobe changes a bit.

Moving on...
So next up are Ira's buds.
ImageImage
This is Amber, Ira's best friend/sort-of-not-by-blood sister. They've been best friends since they were toddlers. Amber used to have to be the voice of reason, stopping Ira from getting himself into trouble or killed by some stupid stunt. That's since changed, and now Ira has to help reel in her temper and harsh mouth. She will always have a soft spot for him, but she always challenges him to stick up for himself. She's also Alex's best friend, but circumstance makes her leave Ira out a lot since Alex can be a little intense. Amber is an overachiever and very competitive person as well.

Hanako "Hana" is Ira's girlfriend and the reluctant "mom friend." She wants so badly to cut up and be a dumb teenager like her friends, but responsibility called her early and damn it if she can't shake the little voice in the back of her mind that whispers, "Noooooooo." She tries to be supportive, but she honestly thinks many of her friends are just whiny. She's a daydreamer to be sure, and she does genuinely care about her friends and family (it's just sometimes she wishes she could turn it off).

Cameron is a beautiful and smart girl who goes to Ira's school. She and Amber often compete in school and their music classes, with Cameron having an advantage as a prodigy. She has a history of lording her abilities over other students, but her friends Heather and Hana are trying to get her to loosen up a bit more and chill, since they've seen the chill side and it is much cooler (haha sorry). She's been on stage and screen already and uses her talents as a way to distract from her embarrassing early work as a child star.
Soft Dorito

Postby Seven Rain » April 9th, 2016, 1:31 am

Soft Dorito wrote:
Spoiler! :

Unf.

So with all this character retooling I can't help but wonder; are you planning on rebooting that comic of yours entirely or simply continue where it left off and are just showing off some future character stuff? (Apologies if you've already mentioned it at some point and I merely skimmed passed it!)
Sonic-ock wrote:
Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Wheres the swear jar.

Look, I'll say whatever the HECK I want whenever I dingle DARN well please!
Seven Rain

Postby Soft Dorito » April 9th, 2016, 1:39 am

Taylor is a friend of Amber's, Hana's, and Cameron's, though through different circumstances (Amber = similar attitudes, beliefs/Hana = grew up near, Cameron = also similar attitudes but don't rub each other the wrong way). He's learning computer programming and is trying to make his own games. Taylor is very reserved and quiet, but his expressions often betray whatever he's feeling. Through Cameron and Heather, Taylor got into partying a bit as a way to make him "open up a bit." The mood switch can be fairly jarring for his friends, including the aforementioned two who may or may not have made something akin to a mistake. Taylor is the oldest at 17 and is a transboy.

Nate is the new kid in school, a "transfer student" if you will. He's a large, muscled goof who wants to make friends and make everyone be friends. Taylor quickly catches his eye, and he becomes interested in things like computer programming as a result. Nate doesn't seem to like to talk over people or impose his size over them, but he is very protective of his friends. His quiet nature is actually a lot less innocent than it first seems, and his intentions aren't always easy to see. Unlike Ira, he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. (Nate is the same deal as Bella/Harvey/Joey.)

Alex is Cameron's twin brother and Amber's best friend. He's a ball of energy and charming as can be. Like his sister, he was a talented child star and was also in a band as a preteen but would rather not broadcast it. He's mortified that Ira wears his old band shirts. Alex wants to start up an actually decent band and rebuild his career as a legitimate performer, but his dad will make that wait after the disaster that was his first career. He's a major flirt and can be very loud about what he wants, but he doesn't try to discourage others from joining him (which is how he met his other pals, Heather and Joel). Alex can be extremely lazy, though, to the point that it could hurt his future.

Probably the most normal looking bugger here. XD This is Flynn, Alex and Cameron's little brother. He was the result of magic and adopted into the twins' family once they realized he was not in a good situation. His appearance is based on the "black eyed children" folklore story (I think there's a creepypasta too? I dunno. I first heard the one with corded phones back in the day, lol). He's very smart and loves to read fantasy stories or play RPGs. Aside from some funny abilities and his appearance, Flynn is shown to be a pretty normal - homeschooled - kid. He is the youngest in the group at 12 years old.
Soft Dorito

Postby Soft Dorito » April 9th, 2016, 1:39 am

This is Heather. She's friends with Amber, Cameron, Taylor, and Alex. So she sits pretty much in the middle of a disaster, but she's cool with bouncing between friends until they get their shit together (though her best friend and preference for a good time is Joel). Heather can be fairly snotty when irritated or feeling left out, but she just wants to hang out with her friends. She can bring out the best or the worst in someone depending on what she's in the mood for.

This is Angelo, though I've altered his face a wee bit since this picture, I can't find my newest one (-_-). He's a powerful magical creature and scholar. He gets bugged out of his own life to help with Ira's mess. In general, Angelo is nice and willing to help, but some of the people attached to Ira by the time they meet make working together difficult. Plus he's been looking for someone for a long friggin' time and doesn't like to take prolonged breaks. And his SO isn't keen on it either.

Here's Arae, an otherwordly creature that wants a lot to do with Ira.
EDIT: Quick fix to put this one back up after it got taken down off photobucket for some asinine reason.

Image[/url]
This is Louis (French pronunciation). He plays a pretty minor role, but he's a bit of a snitch.
Last edited by Soft Dorito on April 11th, 2016, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft Dorito

Postby Soft Dorito » April 9th, 2016, 1:47 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Soft Dorito wrote:
Spoiler! :

Unf.

So with all this character retooling I can't help but wonder; are you planning on rebooting that comic of yours entirely or simply continue where it left off and are just showing off some future character stuff? (Apologies if you've already mentioned it at some point and I merely skimmed passed it!)

lol Thanks! XD

Yeah I'm actually pretty far into the plans for it. Once it was deleted I took a long look at the first couple of chapters and figured it would be a smart move. Especially since I can't work on it how I used to, so the art might look too different. I don't know why but inking a digital sketch vs. a traditional one always looks really different to me. Plus the first chapter...to be honest, I made it for an art show that's long past and the entire time period it was done in is hard for me to remember because of some personal mess that happened. It makes me feel really anxious to look at sometimes, and starting fresh just seems like the best idea. In the time it took me to figure that out, I also just didn't like some of the older designs anymore (especially Taylor's, which has been the same idea since I was 15 and I'm 26 - just in differing styles).

Also I have some ideas for the funeral scene at the beginning that I can't wait to do. O___O That all said, I totally did not mean to delete it. I feel really stupid for that, lol. But no the only place I ever addressed it was in my signature. But that's it. XD
Soft Dorito

Next

Return to Creative Showcase