looking for critique!! help me out pls

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: looking for critique!! help me out pls

Postby c o r e » November 1st, 2018, 9:25 pm

K-cho wrote:I can see some improvement in the lineart in that picture! Drawing with one continuous stroke will become more natural the more you practice it. :)

Just ftr, in that picture I can still see some of the issue that eishiya pointed out earlier with colors not being filled in 100% around the lines. When you color or add tones, are you using a brush or doing something like selecting and filling the area that you want to color? (If it's the latter, developing smoother lines will also help you here, since it looks like some of your short strokes are creating tiny areas that then aren't getting colored in later.)

thank you! old habits die hard i guess...
i use the fill bucket tool to color and the magic wand/lasso to select areas for screentones orz
i usually go over it with the brush twice to see if there's any white spots, but half the time i miss a lot of them and the other half im just being notoriously lazy...

anywho, i tried applying you guys critiques to the latest page with more usage of line weight and quick confident lines! (save for backgrounds because oops and moire pattern problems because i couldn't quite get it to look the way i wanted it to look)
i'll post it here once sunday rolls by.
c o r e

Postby eishiya » November 1st, 2018, 9:38 pm

When using selections, if you expand them by a few pixels, then your colours/tones will go under the lines. This makes selections way more useful than the bucket tool even for solid colours.
eishiya

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » November 2nd, 2018, 3:19 am

c o r e wrote:thank you again!

also here's a recent piece. i tried doing some more more quick, "confident" strokes (although it still looks scratch because habits) and played around more with line weight.
it's a slightly aged up version of the main characters. (it's how i usually depict them. the comic takes place during the past.)

happy halloween!

These are defiantly looking good. Your coloring is really the best quality you have here. You're using more line variety but it is still a little rough, but like I said, improved. Keep working on it, your going places.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby c o r e » November 4th, 2018, 11:43 am

the aforementioned page as promised!

it's not the best start, but eh. baby steps.
thank you again for looking and critiquing my stuff you guys.
c o r e

Postby eishiya » November 4th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I think it looks a lot better, this is more than baby steps! Panel 3 in particular looks good, with the more varied line weights.
eishiya

Postby kayotics » November 4th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Just to chime in and echo eishiya, this looks a lot better now! You've made some serious improvement in just a couple days.

One of the first things I learned when I started taking drawing classes is that longer, more confident strokes will help you improve much faster when you're first starting out. It's definitely showing here!

I think if you really push to improve some of those things that were mentioned before in the thread, you'll continue to see some really nice improvement.
kayotics

Postby kytri » November 4th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Yeah this is already a pretty noticeable improvement. Good job!
kytri

Postby c o r e » November 4th, 2018, 7:21 pm

alright!! it's great to hear that it's changed something somewhat!
i'll try my best to keep it up!!! thank you all!!!!!!!
c o r e

Postby c o r e » December 1st, 2018, 12:12 am

what's up? it's me again. i just wanted to do a little update on how my progress is goin'!

i've taken a lot of your guys' critiques to heart and tried my best to apply them to the best of my ability! it's still not the best and i'm still having a hard time, but...yeah.
here's a recent piece that im somewhat happy with how it turned out:
i've applied some other techniques i've picked up along the way as well.

any pointers? critiques? positives? negatives?
please let me know your thoughts!

thanks again for looking and helping me out!
c o r e

Postby SyskyLycanwolf » December 1st, 2018, 11:42 am

The comic pages look really good!! Keep up the good work!! About the first image, it looks really good. However I do have some tips. When drawing digitally, make sure your final lines aren't messy. Typically, the rule is to make sure every contour is in one stroke, and that it doesn't look sketchy. It is time consuming and tedious I'll admit, but the end product will look much better in the end. Hope this helps :D
SyskyLycanwolf

Postby eishiya » December 1st, 2018, 12:11 pm

SyskyLycanwolf wrote:It is time consuming and tedious I'll admit, but the end product will look much better in the end. Hope this helps :D

It gets quicker and less tedious as you get better at it :] As you get better, you'll be making your desired lines in fewer strokes instead of building them up out of a bunch, and you'll be making your desired line on the first try more often, you won't need to redo it.

An "ink" pass will always be more work than just leaving the sketch in, but it doesn't have to be a lot of work, and it doesn't have to be tedious. It's definitely worth the effort to practice working with swooshier strokes, and I can see you (OP) are already doing that :>
eishiya

Postby kayotics » December 1st, 2018, 4:43 pm

I'd say keep going with the advice on the lines, but like eishiya said, you'll get better as you keep practicing.

One thing that I'd like to see you try to emphasize is shape, especially in the faces. I'll use the last drawing as an example. You've got some nice shape and form in the poses, especially the girl in the foreground and her bent leg and her dramatically posed hand. It looks like it's got volume and shape. But the faces look like they're largely circles with some eyes on them in comparison. But then when you've got someone at a side view, the face doesn't look round at all anymore. Because the bodies are fairly realistic, the faces look out of place.

I think doing some face studies could help you figure out how you want to draw people! I'm not trying to say that you have to stop doing the style you're doing, but if you try to practice faces and see how the forms work, then you can bring that into your current style and make the art work harder for you.
kayotics

Postby c o r e » December 1st, 2018, 8:43 pm

kayotics wrote:I'd say keep going with the advice on the lines, but like eishiya said, you'll get better as you keep practicing.

you got it! no worries! here's hoping for the best.
with that being said...

kayotics wrote:One thing that I'd like to see you try to emphasize is shape, especially in the faces. I'll use the last drawing as an example. You've got some nice shape and form in the poses, especially the girl in the foreground and her bent leg and her dramatically posed hand. It looks like it's got volume and shape. But the faces look like they're largely circles with some eyes on them in comparison. But then when you've got someone at a side view, the face doesn't look round at all anymore. Because the bodies are fairly realistic, the faces look out of place.

I think doing some face studies could help you figure out how you want to draw people! I'm not trying to say that you have to stop doing the style you're doing, but if you try to practice faces and see how the forms work, then you can bring that into your current style and make the art work harder for you.

i've been studying some anatomy i guess and have been looking at a lot of references, so...it's nice to see it's paying off somewhat, and to the point that you even find it fairly realistic! must mean im doin something right for once, ha ha. but for some reason it's the face that throws off everything, huh...i guess faces are the next step!
any pointers before i dive head long into face studies, guys?

SyskyLycanwolf wrote:The comic pages look really good!! Keep up the good work!! About the first image, it looks really good. However I do have some tips. When drawing digitally, make sure your final lines aren't messy. Typically, the rule is to make sure every contour is in one stroke, and that it doesn't look sketchy. It is time consuming and tedious I'll admit, but the end product will look much better in the end. Hope this helps :D

my final linework is still messy?? aksndkasndkjasn
i've gotta work this out somehow...
im happy to hear you think the comic pages look good! maybe you could take a look at the rest of the comic...? *shot
thank you for your critique and compliments! i really appreciate it!

eishiya wrote:It gets quicker and less tedious as you get better at it :] As you get better, you'll be making your desired lines in fewer strokes instead of building them up out of a bunch, and you'll be making your desired line on the first try more often, you won't need to redo it.

An "ink" pass will always be more work than just leaving the sketch in, but it doesn't have to be a lot of work, and it doesn't have to be tedious. It's definitely worth the effort to practice working with swooshier strokes, and I can see you (OP) are already doing that :>

thank you for noticing! i've been trying my best!!

also, sorry if this turned out to be a giant wall of text! i wanted to reply to everybody without having to post multiple times...
c o r e

Postby Mushroom Flabs » December 2nd, 2018, 7:54 am

The first one looks cool
Mushroom Flabs

Postby kayotics » December 2nd, 2018, 6:03 pm

c o r e wrote:any pointers before i dive head long into face studies, guys?

A few thoughts that might help:
1. one thing that may help is to study from life. Sketches of real objects, people, and animals can help you figure out how those objects look in a 3d space. If you draw from those, you'll be able to figure out how to simplify them and draw them in a style that you like.
2. remember that you can break down anything into flat planes. Even the face. (google "planar view of face" or look at this to see what i mean) Try doing some studies of objects and faces reduced to flat planes.
3. try to relax!! Some of these studies can be a little boring (I personally hate drawing realism), but make sure you're not getting stressed or angry about it. If you start doing that, then take a break.
4. getting a "how to draw" book might really help with figuring out how to learn this stuff on your own. And I mean a book on how to draw realism. Again, I'm not saying you need to draw realistically, but I think learning some of those basics can help you figure out how to break down the pieces and make your preferred art style really look great.
kayotics

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Showcase