Overall Art Critique 2018

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Overall Art Critique 2018

Postby jazselup101 » December 1st, 2018, 5:51 pm

Hello there! Long time, no see! I posted my art on here for critique back in 2014 and I wanted to do another one for my art for this year since I improved much from then! Here’s some good artwork that I did, starting from oldest to recent. Tell me what do I need to improve on, whats good, bad, etc.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Tried not to show all of my stuff lol. Oh and here's a Inktober Tour if you wanna look at that.
jazselup101

Re: Overall Art Critique 2018

Postby Eightfish » December 1st, 2018, 7:21 pm

Hello hello.

The first thing I notice is that you have a very pleasing coloring style. It just looks nice! I like the textures and I like the shading.
You tend to color everything with the same neutral lighting source, though. I don't see any dark or harsh or directed lighting.

Your proportions are good- the sizes of body parts in relation to each other seems accurate, if that makes sense. Maybe hands are a little small.
But the way you pose people is kinda same-y. It looks like you draw everyone from the same angle- either a kinda between-front-on-and-three-quarter-view angle, or from the side. Faces are the same way- not a lot of different angles. I'd like to see you draw people slouched over, hunched in, stretched out, fighting, in weird poses with lots of foreshortening. Faces from above and below, people looking up at the 'camera', people looking down at the 'camera'. People lying down with their body parts all squished. And hands from different angles and doing different things, too. Not just in fists or lying flat. Draw hands being reverent, frightened. Grabbing things or people or other hands.

Another thing I notice is that your drawings look pretty flat. I'm not sure how to explain this, but it doesn't look like you could rotate your drawings 360 degrees, if that makes sense. Like when you draw arms bent it looks like you rotated a flat piece up instead of it looking like the arm exists as a 3D mass of muscles and bones. I'm not saying it looks bad- rather, it looks like a stylistic choice, but I do think it could be better. And you have improved from your first drawings in this respect so I think you already kind of know this and are working on it. I think it's probably just a case of you needing to practice more and with drawing more from life and from real people.

You don't have any backgrounds. From the thing I mentioned above I'd guess you find it hard to draw 3D things and spaces?

Overall, it kinda seems like you have a template in your mind for how to draw a face, a body, a hand, etc. It looks like you're reusing that template for a lot of the people you draw. For example, everyone you draw has the same posture. Even when that guy is sitting in the last image, his torso looks just as rigid as all your other people at the same angle. He doesn't slouch into the chair like a real person would.

I suggest drawing more from life. Go outside and draw the scenery. Find figure drawing website and draw from them. Find dance routines on YouTube and draw the weird things people can do. Google 'action poses' and see just the range of positions a human body can be in. Just from personal experience I found my art improved immensely when I started doing this.

Anyways, I wrote a lot, haha. You do have a lot to improve (as do we all), but remember it's a lot easier to find things wrong with someone who does things mostly right than someone who does everything wrong. Keep drawing! You have improved a lot from your first drawings so keep it up.

I hope I was at least a little bit helpful, and goodbye : )
Eightfish

Postby Eightfish » December 1st, 2018, 10:15 pm

WOAH WOAH WAIT WAIT

I just realized. I actually saw you post your art for review up in 2014! I saw that webcomic review that @repsychus did for your "Special" Care- it stuck with me because it was so well written, and it helped me improve my own art as well.

But. Holy crap! You've improved so much! Damn! Your style is unrecognizable compared to four years ago.

It's amazing that I left smackjeeves for four years, and I come back and the community hasn't changed at all. I still recognize usernames like @eishiya and @Oly-RRR for their friendly personalities and thoughtful contributions.

And then people like you who see a fair but really negative and harsh review of something they've obviously spent countless hours on and instead of being insulted reply with politeness and thanks and a desire to improve. And you absolutely have and I'm so impressed. I can only hope that I've improved equally as much in that amount of time
Eightfish

Postby jazselup101 » December 2nd, 2018, 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for the critique and tips! I’m just gonna try and do studies for the rest of the month now. Oh gosh, and thank you for the kind words in the second reply! My art really did improve since then and I’m proud myself. I also remember that review, that was something when I first read it. However, I wanted to make my comic so much better so I decided to try again. Too bad at the end, I wasn’t into it anymore and didn’t get far. But it’s cool though! I’m planning to do more comics in the future!
jazselup101

Return to Creative Showcase