Anna's Art Thread

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Anna's Art Thread

Postby annaf » January 6th, 2019, 12:25 pm

I'm a little nervous to do an art thread but if it means critiques and the chance to improve my art... Anyway, here's some of my most recent works. Also, sorry they're all embedded from my dA page. I wasn't sure how else to go about this.

Thanks for taking the time to look ^^" I'll probably update with the more stuff I finish.
annaf

Re: Anna's Art Thread

Postby HeHuddleston » January 7th, 2019, 12:45 am

Don't be nervous to post your art.. I think it's beautiful! I especially love the shading work you do with those pencil drawings. And your style seems distinct-- I like it! Keep up the good work! :3
HeHuddleston

Postby Zin Trollborn » January 7th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Those drawings are totally cool and I don't even know what to critique actually :lol:
I like that kind of shades, it must take some time to draw them and some skills to not make it look messy.
Don't be nervous to show more ^^
Just a comic banner down here.
Spoiler! :
Zin Trollborn

Postby K-cho » January 18th, 2019, 10:30 pm

I don't have any critique, but I agree that the shading and texture on all these look so good. :D
K-cho

Postby Eightfish » January 19th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Looks great!
For critique, I'd say that your hand anatomy isn't as good as everything else. For example, her hand in the first panel is in an impossible position, too bent. In the last one, her hand is both not as detailed as the rest of the artwork, making it stand out, and looks like you didn't draw a skeleton underneath. The shapes are just. Off. I think you should try to draw more from reference images, or from your own hands, it really helps.

More specifically, for the hand in your last drawing the position she's holding it in is uncomfortable/ impossible. Her middle and ring fingers are really far apart, and the ring finger and pinky are bent in opposite directions, which is uncomfortable. The shape of her fingers is too bulbous- thin women tend to have angular fingers. Her fingertips are too pointed, and should be a bit more blunt from the top because from that 3/4 angle we should be able to see the top flatness of her fingernails a bit. Your knuckles don't line up- if you connect the knuckles it curves down sharply at the ring and pinky. There's a weird angle in the middle of her hand on the left side- I think it's supposed to be her index knuckle? If so it should be higher up.

Also, your shading is dynamic and beautiful, and the high contrast looks great but you don't put that in your colored image. Your lines are much more simple, and it makes your drawing in color look flat and more boring than your dynamic black and white pieces. I think with your lineart being so good, you shouldn't stop that just because you're going to color it later. Sometimes, even flat colors can look amazing if you choose the right ones (and for that I think you should look up info on color theory too- shading with complementary colors, types of color schemes, etc) and have beautiful linework on top.

I'm not saying I don't think you should shade things, though. But even if you like shading, the base colors should still form a coherent color scheme and look good on their own.

See one of my favorite artists as an example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.instagram.com/deathburger/?hl=en
His art is absolutely breathtaking even when using only a few flat colors due to the strength of his anatomy, lineart, and color choice.
Eightfish

Postby annaf » January 20th, 2019, 10:31 am

Eightfish wrote:Looks great!
For critique, I'd say that your hand anatomy isn't as good as everything else. For example, her hand in the first panel is in an impossible position, too bent. In the last one, her hand is both not as detailed as the rest of the artwork, making it stand out, and looks like you didn't draw a skeleton underneath. The shapes are just. Off. I think you should try to draw more from reference images, or from your own hands, it really helps.

More specifically, for the hand in your last drawing the position she's holding it in is uncomfortable/ impossible. Her middle and ring fingers are really far apart, and the ring finger and pinky are bent in opposite directions, which is uncomfortable. The shape of her fingers is too bulbous- thin women tend to have angular fingers. Her fingertips are too pointed, and should be a bit more blunt from the top because from that 3/4 angle we should be able to see the top flatness of her fingernails a bit. Your knuckles don't line up- if you connect the knuckles it curves down sharply at the ring and pinky. There's a weird angle in the middle of her hand on the left side- I think it's supposed to be her index knuckle? If so it should be higher up.

Also, your shading is dynamic and beautiful, and the high contrast looks great but you don't put that in your colored image. Your lines are much more simple, and it makes your drawing in color look flat and more boring than your dynamic black and white pieces. I think with your lineart being so good, you shouldn't stop that just because you're going to color it later. Sometimes, even flat colors can look amazing if you choose the right ones (and for that I think you should look up info on color theory too- shading with complementary colors, types of color schemes, etc) and have beautiful linework on top.

I'm not saying I don't think you should shade things, though. But even if you like shading, the base colors should still form a coherent color scheme and look good on their own.

See one of my favorite artists as an example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.instagram.com/deathburger/?hl=en
His art is absolutely breathtaking even when using only a few flat colors due to the strength of his anatomy, lineart, and color choice.

Hey, thanks for the really in depth critique. You're spot on about hands, I'm still figuring them out in a lot of ways. But I already do use a lot of references images and my own hands as well so ^^" I am a little confused about what you're suggesting with the colour though and the linework?
annaf

Return to Creative Showcase