am I coloring things right?

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

am I coloring things right?

Postby artofjoe » April 28th, 2019, 6:48 am

So, I colored these pages and I'd like anybody's opinion on them. Let me know if you want me to upgrade the picture quality for a better look or something.

artofjoe

Re: am I coloring things right?

Postby Xero Boomer » April 29th, 2019, 1:12 am

I would definitely stick with color. It takes a lot longer to produce pictures but it gives your comic more depth
Xero Boomer

Postby Eightfish » April 29th, 2019, 4:17 am

Your resolution looks fine. If I had to offer coloring advice it would be more general, like using bright colors more sparingly or using different hues of a color to shade instead of just putting a low transparency black on top.
Eightfish

Postby artofjoe » May 3rd, 2019, 10:00 pm

Eightfish wrote:Your resolution looks fine. If I had to offer coloring advice it would be more general, like using bright colors more sparingly or using different hues of a color to shade instead of just putting a low transparency black on top.

I tried doing a little of the hues thing, do you think this kind of thing looks better? Should I contrast the hues even more? If this isn't what you meant, I'd love an example.
EDIT: I also just realized how different the colors look on my laptop compared to my drawing tablet.
artofjoe

Postby eishiya » May 4th, 2019, 6:19 am

This definitely looks better! I think some of them could use more value contrast (i.e., some the shadows should be darker, and some of the highlights should be lighter), and the reds, browns, and blues could use more hue shifting/contrast.

When hue-shifting, try to shift towards the same hue in all your colours. So, if the pink hair is purpler in the shadows, then the blues should be purpler, the reds should be purpler, etc. This helps create cohesion. In reality, shadows are coloured by the ambient colour(s) of the scene. While the ambience can vary in different parts of a location, the ambience within a single part of a location will colour the shadows all towards the same hue. This is why shifting towards the same hue helps with cohesion - it replicates the way we're used to seeing light work.

The way you draw highlights on the pink haired characters head and hair communicates a sort of scraggly, wrinkled shape, which is at odds with the smooth shapes implied by the linework. I don't have a fix suggestion for that since I do not know your intent, but it's something to think about.
eishiya

Postby artofjoe » May 4th, 2019, 10:27 am

Thanks for the suggestion with the hues, I'll be sure to try it out.

eishiya wrote:The way you draw highlights on the pink haired characters head and hair communicates a sort of scraggly, wrinkled shape, which is at odds with the smooth shapes implied by the linework. I don't have a fix suggestion for that since I do not know your intent, but it's something to think about.

Yeah, that's good that I at least got what I was going for with the shading, I was kind of going for a fuzzy cotton for the fabric under Pinocchio's hat and he folds the flaps up. But that's a good point, I didn't exactly draw the outline as a fuzzy cotton fabric so it doesn't make a lot of sense. :/ I'll probably change that then.

Thanks for the suggestions and the critiques. You guys have helped make coloring less of a chore, for sure.
artofjoe

Return to Creative Showcase