Requesting Opinion on Commission Prices

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Requesting Opinion on Commission Prices

Postby Bloomer » May 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm

Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum, and for making so many threads. Last night some family events came up that might make me miss work, thus not being paid this month. The only decent "right now" option I have is trying to do some commissions.

I'll be frank, I have no idea what I'm doing because it's been literal years since I've attempted doing commissions. I just want some opinions on my pricing, not full on schooling or anything, just your honest opinion. I know there's a certain thing you have to go by that everyone suggests in the pro artist circle, I've read up on it but can't for the life me comprehend it. Please note I'm using the prices from when I tried doing commissions 6-8 years ago (I used the minimum wage hourly rate for my state and added $5 for materials), the examples I'll show you guys will also be from that time frame.

Quick note, I draw traditionally so these prices may be a little high due to materials.
Spoiler! :
Sketches - $10
ImageImage

Lineart/B&W Bust - $20 Lineart/B&W Full Body - $25-$35 (depending on detail)

Full Color Bust - $45 Full Color Full Body - $55-$60 (depending on detail) + Background - $70
ImageImage

Additional Characters + $5

So yeah, if you can please let me know what you think I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for your time!
Bloomer

Re: Requesting Opinion on Commission Prices

Postby eishiya » May 4th, 2019, 6:38 am

Is the "thing" everyone recommends measuring how long you tend take on each type of commission, and multiplying that by a living wage? xP For example, at your skill level $20/hr is the minimum you should be charging for your services, you should probably charge more. If a full-body sketch tends to take you an hour, you should charge $20 for them, or $30 if they tend to take an hour and a half. If your big full-body coloured pencils pieces tend to take 3 hours, then charge $60, if they usually take 10 hours, then that's $200. Then, add a few bucks to cover the materials and set-up time.

This method might seem like it rewards working slowly, but it doesn't - fast artists charge more per hour because they're (good and) fast.

I definitely think you should charge more than your current prices. The sketches' price should probably be doubled, the others should be at least doubled, possibly tripled. How long do you take on these kinds of works?

For additional characters, charge more than $5. I'd make it more like an additional 50% of the commission cost for an extra character. So, if you charge $30 for a sketch, then a sketch with two characters should be $45. If you charge $150 for a single-character coloured work, then two characters would be $225 (150+75). This way, the additional work is actually compensated :/

Price is almost never the reason people don't get commissions. The reason is usually much more simple - the people who would love to commission you just don't know you exist, or that you're doing commissions, or aren't in the market for commissions at that moment!
If you want to appeal to poorer people who can't afford a full commission (handy if you need money ASAP), then provide a cheap type of quick-to-do but colourful artwork, e.g. avatars, where the artwork is deliberately small and simple to be quick to do, but is otherwise the same as the higher tiers of commissions, i.e. inked and coloured.
eishiya

Return to Creative Showcase