Kirby's Sketchopolis

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Kirby's Sketchopolis

Postby KirbyHead » March 22nd, 2010, 4:41 pm

UPDATES:
Not much. Just got some stuff up for March. Go here to check it out!

In accordance to the prophecy-- er, my deal with Piano-kun, here's my sketchbook. I hope you guys will be able to give me some advice and critique on my stuff, and I also hope that you'll enjoy it!

1.) I haven't been able to sketch in a while, either (computer science has been eating my brain), but I managed to this for a 3D modeling character project. He's one of my original characters from a story that I sort of abandoned. I still love the characters, though, I like revisiting the story every once in a while, to see if I can make it work.

2.) Here's an attempt at a matte painting that I did. It's nowhere near finished, but I like how it's looking so far.

3.) And here's a picture where I tried out this guy's method of creating concept art. I like how it turned out, and the method was simple and a lot faster than what I've been doing so far. I think I might try using it regularly! (This kid is from a comic that I want to do for Smackjeeves. I also want to make a game with him in it, but I suppose I'll have to wait until summer to mess around with XNA.)

More pictures as I draw 'em!
Last edited by KirbyHead on July 8th, 2012, 9:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
KirbyHead

Re: Kirby's Sketchopolis

Postby Hunterkirizaki » March 22nd, 2010, 4:57 pm

KirbyHead wrote:1.) I haven't been able to sketch in a while, either (computer science has been eating my brain), but I managed to this for a 3D modeling character project. He's one of my original characters from a story that I sort of abandoned. I still love the characters, though, I like revisiting the story every once in a while, to see if I can make it work.

I really like this picture. Awesome stuff you got going there. I especially like the expression and the headband. The hood is nice, too(since I like hoods. XD)

I'd love to see you make a comic if you ever find some spare time.
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Postby vapidity » March 22nd, 2010, 5:42 pm

Wowow I love your style! (*w*) Very expressive, especially the first picture!

As for critique, in the first sketch, the 3/4 face picture looks alittle different from the other faces. The eyes are little too close together, the nose shape seems different, and I think the chin should be more broad, it's too pointed in the 3/4.

In the last picture, the boy's arms and legs look kind of wonky, and especially the pose of the feet that are faced in opposite directions. You might want to recheck your anatomy on those.

But other than that, they are great pictures! I can't wait to see more from you! (>w<)
vapidity

Postby Piano-kun » March 22nd, 2010, 11:30 pm

You finally uploaded stuff! *saves everything to harddrive* lol

I can't wait for your comic - it is going to be so awesome :D
Piano-kun

Postby MuriraRK » March 24th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Loving that sketch up there. It's great. : D

More, more!
ImageImage
MuriraRK

Postby Sonic-ock » March 25th, 2010, 3:42 am

Nice trunaround, and you seem to use that weird sorta painterly looking coloring style that I love so much.
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby KirbyHead » March 31st, 2010, 1:53 am

@HunterKirizaki: I like hoods, too. :D They always end up being hard for me to draw, though, so I've got to practice with those. When I can finally get started up on a comic, I'll let you guys know heren.

@vapidity; Thanks for the critique! You pointed out a lot of stuff that now seems glaringly obvious to me, haha. I think I should draw more turnarounds so I can make my characters look consistent from each perspective. And work on my anatomy, of course, but that's an ongoing process, as always. :)

@Piano-kun: TOO BAD, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT LONGER. But I did pencil a new page today. :)

@MuriraRK: Hooray! I like the sketch, too; it makes me a little sad that it's the only thing I've gotten to draw in a while. But, honestly, I sketch way too much; I should actually finish comic pages and illustrations that I always have planned.

@Sonic-ock: Hahaha, I love that painterly looking coloring style, too, which is why I've been trying to develop something like it for years. It's only recently that I've actually seen results that I don't mind showing people. XD

Now for arttttt. I haven't been able to draw anything for some time because of school, again. Oh weekends, how I long for thee. The problem is that half the time, my workload extends to over the weekend, too. :P

4.) Quick character sketch. This kid is probably going to be a supporting character in the comic that I'm thinking of doing. I was going for the "limitlessly cheerful, even when he's beating you to a pulp" look. I don't think I quite captured it, but I do like that bizarre smile he's wearing in the lower righthand part of the page, so that was reason enough for me to upload it. His legs should probably be longer aughhhhh. BTDUBS, though that blade looks curvy and katana-like, it's actually meant to be a jian. I just suck at drawing straight lines.
FUN FACT: His hair was totally inspired by this guy.
KirbyHead

Postby KirbyHead » April 1st, 2010, 2:15 am

5.) Whooo got to draw some more today! Started doing some How to Train Your Dragon fan art (haven't done fan art in forever, lol), and it is a huggggeeee file. So while it was saving in Photoshop, I started drawing a completely different picture. ERRORS EVERYWHERE (I don't like how I drew Toothless's head) but that's okay, I'll fix it if I end up coloring it. :D
Spoiler! :
This is totally how I imagine their relationship would be like. Astrid wondering why she fell in love with such a wimp, Hiccup wondering why he's dating a girl who could snap him like a twig, and Toothless not-really-mediating. It would be awesome.

BTW, this soundtrack is fantastic.
KirbyHead

Postby magi » April 8th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Oooh, interesting. I like the way you construct your figures. :3 There seen to be a better balanced between torso and legs then most artist out there, it makes the character feel more realistic proportion-wise rather then idealistic. Although might want to watch out for the termination between the torso and pelvis in some of them, like the last one. It feel like the thigh is coming down from lower then what it implies from the waist.
magi

Postby KirbyHead » April 17th, 2010, 4:29 am

@magi: Woah, thanks for that! I'll definitely pay attention to that in the future. I think I'm so used to drawing just heads/busts that my full figure drawings look a bit awkward. I'm steadily trying to break that habit, though. I should set aside time to peruse the anatomy books I've got. As soon as I have more time, that is. Why are there only 24 hours in a day?!

6.) My style is so inconsistentttttt. LOL. Anyway, remember that blond kid from the first post (#3)? Here he is again. Quick sketch in Photoshop for what would be a cover for the comic.

7.) A WIP of How to Train Your Dragon fan art! This file is ridiculously large and makes Photoshop hate me. Seriously, while I was waiting for it to save, I sketched the entirety of the HTTYD fanart that I posted earlier. I did fan art while I was doing fan art. Craaazzzzy.
KirbyHead

Postby KirbyHead » April 26th, 2010, 12:03 am

8.) I want to get back to working on this picture eventually. I haven't touched it since November of last year, apparently, but it's still recent enough that my style hasn't differed drastically. I like the story concept that this kid was from; I just need to fix a whole lot of plot holes before I can get back to him. (He's also the person whose eyes are in my avatar, btw!)

9.) Let's take a break from all the frowny people and hop into the Wayback Machine (c) for some good old fashioned fun. This is one of the comics I did for the school newspaper in my senior year of high school. Hurray!
KirbyHead

Postby Hunterkirizaki » April 26th, 2010, 5:55 am

KirbyHead wrote:9.) Let's take a break from all the frowny people and hop into the Wayback Machine (c) for some good old fashioned fun. This is one of the comics I did for the school newspaper in my senior year of high school. Hurray!

You need to make a longer comic about this. I already love the Mighty Morphin Midterm Rangers. XD
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Postby Loverofpiggies » April 26th, 2010, 7:27 am

KirbyHead wrote:Image
I dont know if this was quick for you or not, but it looks REALLY quickly done, and done well. I love the way you draw noses too, they're just awesome.

Actually, even your bright coloring makes me jealous. You can shade very well. Heck, even your sketched-up landscape looks great. Maybe I should check this guy out too and do some practice.
Loverofpiggies

Postby Supervillain » April 27th, 2010, 10:08 am

I must say that Hiccup and Toothless look freaking awesome in that WIP! X'D <3
have you finished it? ;D and if you have... can I see it????
Supervillain

Postby KirbyHead » April 29th, 2010, 9:16 pm

No art today. :{

@Hunterkirizaki: LOL, a Midterm Rangers full-length comic would be insane. I honestly tried to find some more of the comics that I drew during high school, but they've al disappeared somewhere into the annals of my computer. :oooo

@Loverofpiggies: Haha, you can definitely tell it was done pretty quickly, huh? XD You should totally check out PSG7. The guy had great tutorials for digital coloring in general, and they're really interesting to read! Many of the great artists on Concept Art often reference his stuff when they talk about coloring. Give it a shot! And thanks about the noses: they are actually one of my favorite parts of the body to draw. I don't know why. XD

@Supervillain: No, unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to work on in much since I posted that. School's ended now, though, so after exams I should have more time to work on art!
KirbyHead

Next

Return to Creative Showcase