Kirby's Sketchopolis

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Kirby's Sketchopolis

Postby KirbyHead » April 30th, 2011, 3:12 am

43.) This is another bust for a friend on Tumblr, whose birthday also happens to be today. What a coincidence! I'm getting a bit faster at painting these things, which is always a good thing. :)

Dunno who's next. Maybe the rest of the kids from Homestuck, then... Karkat. Because I like Karkat. I like the rest of the trolls too, though, so maybe I'll get to them eventually. And some original characters, too, I guess. :)
KirbyHead

Postby AlkseeyaKC » May 3rd, 2011, 8:54 am

there is that hair kind of again! I like how you colored his face. =3
AlkseeyaKC

Postby KirbyHead » May 8th, 2011, 3:08 am

Thanks a lot! :D I like his face, too: tried adding a bit of gray to give it a different tone. And hair is actually becoming a fun part of a picture to do, as opposed to before, when it was always a chore. :)

44.) So that sequential art I mentioned on the last page... well, here's some of it that I did for class! Basically, we were supposed to pick three story devices from a list and make three separate stories about them. I ended up doing one big one, and in the end we all made them into books. Which is why my formatting is a bit weird here: I was too lazy to put them all in a single-file panel form from the book formatting, so I just split them up by story. Posting under a spoiler because it's pretty long. You might want to right-click and View Image if you can't see it all:
Spoiler! :
It was done in a different style from my usual because we were supposed to pick some artists for inspiration and I chose peachifruit/hiimdaisy. My three devices were Chekhov's Gun, In Media Res, and Dream Sequence. Yeah, Chekhov is intentionally spelled differently in that one action panel. It's a pun! And, yep, there's a line from Elf.
KirbyHead

Postby KirbyHead » May 12th, 2011, 10:11 pm

45.) So while my tablet is out of order, I've done some sketching on paper for the first time in a while. And I remembered that I suck pretty bad. More Homestuck, since I seem to be on a roll with that. Since I drew Rose and Dave before, here's some John and Jade. John is just too moe in canon. He just demanded to be drawn as such. (That link is a bit of a spoiler, btw.)
Last edited by KirbyHead on May 12th, 2011, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KirbyHead

Postby Reigan » May 12th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Oh god I think I might love you.
THAT JOHN <3
So adorable!

And I really like the poses you draw! So fluid ;__;
Reigan

Location: The land or fairy tales, gum drops, and all that good stuff.

Postby AlkseeyaKC » May 13th, 2011, 6:53 am

I love the poses! =3
AlkseeyaKC

Postby mosama » May 13th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Yup- you're definitely skilled/blessed with poses! There's allot of people who have good art but horrible poses- its nice when someone has the full package. PROPS ON THOSE POSES. The coloring also looks sweet.
mosama

Postby KirbyHead » May 17th, 2011, 1:50 am

@Reigan: John was so fun to draw. I should really draw him more.
@AlkseeyaKC: Thank you! More self-posing stuff, though Jade's leg kinda bothers me. I should have paid more attention to it before scanning, hahaha.
@mosama: Thanks so much! Right now I think I need to focus a bit more on making dynamic poses look okay in a comic, though. It's my weak point. That and backgrounds, and coloring, and finishing stories... but I guess I've got the summer to work on all of those things. :D

46.) Here's the second half of the sketches above. I wasn't actually planning on cheating and hiding Dave's sword behind his back so I didn't have to draw it: it honestly just happened that way!

And here was a picture that I was working on, but it wasn't going how I wanted it to so I just slapped some colors on ths clothes and called it a night. I guess this is an older Dave? Being oh so ironically cool and shit.
Last edited by KirbyHead on May 30th, 2011, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KirbyHead

Postby KirbyHead » May 26th, 2011, 11:55 pm

47.) Continuing in the fanart vein, here's a WIP of LOWAS for a thing. Scenery, how do I paint it.
KirbyHead

Postby Sonic-ock » May 27th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Kirb, Kirbster, Kirbedia can I call ya Kirbyhead? So yeah, on the level, you're really awesome and I wish I lived on your shoulder so I could watch you work... Just throwin' that out there.
ImageImageImageImage
Sonic-ock

Postby KirbyHead » May 29th, 2011, 12:53 am

Thanks, Sonic-ock! <3 You can call me anything you want. ;D To be honest, you might get somewhat confused if you watched me work. I know I get confused. I never have any idea about what I'm doing, so it's mostly just trial and error for an hour or more, hahaha. I have livestreamed before, though, and if I do it again I'll be sure to post an announcement in the Official Livestreaming Thread in the General Discussion section. :>

Completed (?) Land of Wind and Shade!

It's actually cropped. I made a much larger version because I'm panning across it:
Spoiler! :
As usual, it looks better if you back up about three feet, squint, turn you head sideways, and squawk like a chicken.
KirbyHead

Postby KirbyHead » May 30th, 2011, 1:07 am

48.) LOL MORE FANART. I'm thinking about doing that NaNaManGo thing with my comic to break up all the fan art that I'm churning out... we'll see how it goes. Have to re-thumb the first chapter of said comic (I think this is the third time I've done that!) Anyway, here's some Dave and Rose that I'm working on. I actually lied: I did most of Rose in a Livestream that I didn't post on the Official SJ Thread. Next time?

HANDS ARE HARD, BTW.

Click to get a larger version of it. It's too big to fit on the forum.
KirbyHead

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2011, 1:29 am

Man, your general style and the way you colour is wonderful.

Also really likin' them Homestuck fanarts!

Postby KirbyHead » May 30th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Thank you, Erdgeist! I like doing the fanart, too. :D Although I worry that I'm doing too much of it, hahaha.

And so it's finished! ...and that's really all I have to say on the matter. Pretty much no commentary this time around. Weird. (Click-through for larger image again!)
KirbyHead

Postby Reigan » May 31st, 2011, 5:22 am

Can I become your fangirl?
Is that okay?

It's not even because you do Homestuck Fanart though I wont deny I love it but I just love your art alfklgsr. Especially the way you do hair. And poses.
Reigan

Location: The land or fairy tales, gum drops, and all that good stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Showcase