Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (2016 EDITION!)

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (2016 EDITION!)

Postby Seven Rain » August 3rd, 2010, 6:25 pm

Crappy anatomy, dull backgrounds (or lack thereof,) and anime...
Yeah, I figured I'd try doing one of these sketchbook threads. So here's a bunch of random stuff I've done over the past couple years or so. WOE artwork, artwork for future series, random stuff, mostly sketched but some digital.
You can give criticism if you really want to, but this thread is really just gonna be a dumping ground for my random stuff and nothing more.

Alrighty, lessee here... Keep in mind a lot of these were before I actually took the time to learn decent anatomy, sooo... Yeah.
(Warning: I've got 20+ images here, so be ready to scroll.)

First, some WOE stuff.
Some concept art, some random canon and non-canon stuff.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
(Well well, this is the first time Ixal's scar has been shown, isn't it? Unless I've used this as an avatar before...)

This is a color version of the 2009 Valentine's Day pic.

Now for some random artwork, not pertaining to any particular series.

This is still one of my favorites, despite how old it is and the anatomy fail.

Yay random demon girl!
(Bleh, major fail on that face.)

Spoiler! :

This one was actually inspired by two pet cats that me and my Aunt had since I was just a wee baby. They've both passed on, but I'll never forget the child-hood memories I shared with them.
*Manly-nostalgia-tear*
Sugar, a white-as-snow female cat, and Topper, a black male cat. The two were as close as they come, so I felt this was a fitting scene.

Here's a couple I did where I was trying out a more exaggerated style. Dunno if I'll ever do a comic with this style, but it could be fun to try sometime.
Spoiler! :

Aaand some fanart of other series.

*Snicker* I don't even know why I did this one.

Link is srs! :O

Yup yup, here's a pic I did of good ole' Bowser.
Spoiler! :
I sort of stopped half way through 'cuz I messed up on the anatomy too bad.
(Either his arms are too long, or his body is too short... You decide.)
And here's the same pic, but I practiced some blood effects with it by painting over it in Flash.

If you can guess who this is, you rule.
"Then we could get rid of all wishes and create a world filled with...WEAPONS!!"

I wanted to do some FLCL fanart, and despite my love for Straight Shota, (as well as Naota and Haruko,) I wanted to draw a character that hardly ever gets any attention.
ATOMSK!
Yeah, sorry for the cliche "Weapon over shoulder" thing. I like using that pose too much...

So that's all I've got to share for now, and I know none of this is very good, but rest assured I'll be working on some new stuff eventually that'll hopefully be of higher quality.
I'll also make sure the next time I add stuff it'll be digital artwork, instead of clumsy sketches.
(And is it normal to feel nervous about starting a Creative Showcase thread? XD)
Last edited by Seven Rain on January 1st, 2016, 7:44 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Seven Rain

Re: Seven's Artwork Thread: May or may not be delicious.

Postby trenton_dawn » August 3rd, 2010, 8:52 pm

Seven Rain wrote:If you can guess who this is, you rule.
"Then we could get rid of all wishes and create a world filled with...WEAPONS!!"

SMITHYYYYYY *rowdy fist pump*
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Seven Rain » August 3rd, 2010, 9:26 pm

Woohoo, I was hoping someone would recognize him! :D
Seven Rain

Postby gameboy+micron » August 3rd, 2010, 9:35 pm

I knew it was him and I haven't even played the game.
gameboy+micron

Postby Seven Rain » August 3rd, 2010, 9:41 pm

Really? Well you are a sprite author, so I'm not too surprised. XD
Seven Rain

Postby LRR » August 5th, 2010, 6:06 pm

I feel so lame, I could only recognize a few characters lol ^^;
I really like the heavy inking look on the second batch of images.
LRR

Postby Seven Rain » August 5th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Thanks~
And don't worry, I always enjoy drawing obscure and lesser-known characters, so I can understand some of 'em being hard to recognize.
Seven Rain

Postby Nymine » August 6th, 2010, 6:18 pm

KNUCKLLLES! Best pirate. EBER(suck it Jack Sparrow!). And I love the bird and the guitar.

Also yes. Nervous is normal.

Also:
Seven Rain wrote:Crappy anatomy, dull backgrounds (or lack thereof,) and anime...

I mean this in the nicest way possible. Start off something else deriding yourself, and I'll Falcon Punch you. *ahem* Seriously though, don't put yourself down! Its a horrible habit and it WILL grow into something worse if you let it. Learning is learning, and heck, you're doing a fine job getting better. So, you know, keep posting the good stuff!
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby Seven Rain » August 6th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Thanks Nymine. ^^

And yeah, sorry about the self-chastising, it really is a bad habit huh? I'll be more careful about that in the future.
Seven Rain

Postby Nymine » August 6th, 2010, 7:01 pm

:3 Thanks for taking it on the chin. I'd hate to come off as nasty, but I hate, hate HATE to see budding talent uproot itself.

It can turn in to something mega ugly, trust and believe. I feel like an explanation is in order: I spent the majority of my early life chastising, critiquing and tearing myself apart. I used to demand attention ALL THE TIME, and if I didn't get it, that automatically meant I wasn't good enough! So I'd draw, judge, crumple, rinse and repeat with no end in sight. The self-judging got worse and worse. NOTHING was ever good enough. It became so automatic, I would instantly apologize to anyone who was talking to me. Even my writing took this self-abusive/self-critical tone. I didn't even REALIZE what I was doing until an uncle pointed it out to me, and I reread what was supposed to be a showcase of my talent/pitch for a job. It was awful. Even with a deft showing of what I could do, the self-tearing commentary was so bleak it was hard to stay long enough to look at the work. It's taken FOREVER to correct, and I'm STILL not quite there.

So yeh. Tip of an ice berg. Could lead to horrible things. SO! Consider me your personal cheer leader.

Also moar arts plox.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nymine

Postby Seven Rain » August 6th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Don't worry, I'll certainly take your advice. ^^

Also yeah, I'll have some spare time later when my friend takes over my TV, so I'll try and work on some new stuff in between WOE work. ;3

*EDIT*
Well, it's not much, but I found some character concept art for a future series.
Spoiler! :

These aren't necessarily new, but I recently found 'em while digging through some old drawers of stuff.
Wish I could've made some new stuff as promised, but I just had a horrible case of artists' block and nothing was turning out right. XD
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Image
Link is srs! :O

It must be because he's staring at a LikeLike that just ate his shield

I like your range of outfits/armour =D and if you're looking for ideas, how about some good old Mischief Makers fanart!

Postby Seven Rain » August 10th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Thanks GM! And I-
granmastern wrote:how about some good old Mischief Makers fanart!

:O

*Gasp*

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA! :D
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » August 26th, 2010, 3:40 am

Damn... Sorry, GM. Can't get any Mischief Makers artwork done yet. (It's pretty hard to get Lunar's design down. XD)

Anyways, here's some random stuff;
Spoiler! :
This one seemed to be a bit of a hit in the Theme Sketch Thread. SUPER JEEVES!

And let's not forget the villain: DR. DRUNKDUCK!

Here's a couple pics I did for other people;
Since he doesn't use it anymore, I might as well put it to use and post it here.
This is a pic I did for my buddy Animetal. Pretty simple, but I've taken a liking to it myself.

And then there's this, (yet another pic that is now unused by the person I made it for, XD) a logo of sorts I did for my friends' band, Borderline Insanity;

Now, a real oldie. This one was for a comic I was gonna start a long time ago, but scrapped in favor of WOE.
Sorry for the large size... And my apparent lack of Flash Brush tool skillz. XD

Aaand, one more today. Concept art for a character that will be in "Project Guardian" (I've decided to call it that for the time being, since a lot of concept art pertaining to it will be posted here over time, I'm sure.)
As I've likely said before, this series won't be starting until after WOE, which'll probably take a few years to finish, so you won't be seeing this character in-comic for a looooong time.
It's a lot more recent than the others, so it's surely more easy on the eyes.

That's all for now. Wanna try and get another WOE update done before I do any extra artwork.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » January 28th, 2012, 9:47 am

So I remembered this thread existed. Might as well dump some random pics, starting with WOE stuff;
Bleh, can't believe I forgot Ixal's scar.

This fella here, (yes, it's a guy,) is Elinx, a potential love interest for Monica.
Spoiler! :

Now how about some silly fanservice?
Spoiler! :
After this pic I now realize that glasses and cat-eared characters don't mix well without magical face-magnetic glasses.

Some The BJC stuff thrown in for good measure;
Spoiler! :
And believe it or not I actually have a newer pic of Leon Goodrow;

This one I already posted not too long ago in a different thread, just showing a few of the character designs for the new, original renditions of the Blackjack cast and their sprite counterparts;

And just for the sake of having a bit more to post here are some current character designs for Project Guardian. These characters are from a group called "The Coronach."
Spoiler! :
(The Etherean girl you may recognize from the much older concept art of her I posted earlier.)
(From left to right:) Chris Ignis, Mariana Mistflower, Galla Noir, Devatto Infinum, (a personal favorite of mine,) and Dirge.
No telling how they might change throughout the years it takes to finish WOE, but the core designs are more or less much final. (Dirge's design however is the least final out of all of them. It's a borderline place-holder look.)

Wish I had a bit more, but I need to get a new scanner. :P
'Till then it's nothing but Flash artwork.
Last edited by Seven Rain on February 5th, 2012, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Rain

Next

Return to Creative Showcase