Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (2016 EDITION!)

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: EthereaVerse Nonsense (Crickets Chirping Edition)

Postby Seven Rain » July 16th, 2013, 9:46 pm

SpiralPen wrote:Oh well.... that's... devastating... :C

For what it's worth I'll try harder to get more of those pages done after remaking is complete now that I know there's any demand for them, haha.

SpiralPen wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I'm saving his best shit-eating grins for when the pages go up.

THAT BETTER BE A PROMISE

Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » July 17th, 2013, 3:47 am

Seven Rain wrote:

Now look what you did.

http://www.smackjeeves.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11770&start=15

Scroll to the bottom.
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » July 17th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Oh wow, I could've swore I shared this here at some point but I guess not...? Well here goes;
I've wanted to do a Mecha series for a long time now, but always told myself it'd probably be one of the last things I do.
Despite this I've spent quite a bit of spare time conceptualizing things, writing out the plot and some scenes, composing a dictionary of tech and characters, etc. Even coming up with a title; "Pilot Yggdrasil."

Well it'll still be a long time before I start it, (it definitely won't happen until The Blackjack Chronicles and WOE are finished,) but lately I've been in some serious Mecha moods, and have been screwing around in Flash with something that... Has turned out surprisingly enjoyable to me. I've always struggled with sci-fi sorts of stuff in the past, but I really like how this little concept turned out;
Though I must admit I already notice small errors and some things I'd like to add/change, but hey, I've got tons of time to work on stuff for this series.

I'm thinking I might actually be able to start this series sooner than I expected, likely using a method of drawing base shots and angles for various limbs and parts to put together for panels. It sounds like a cheap method, but it would be great for consistency and time, as well as make it easier to upgrade parts and add things without completely redrawing mechs. Then for special scenes I could of course do some shots from scratch.

With that rambling out of the way I'll go ahead and explain a little bit of the tech in that pic, along with some ideas and stuff about the series itself;
*EDIT*
Forgot to mention this but I'll be listing the layers from bottom to top.
Spoiler! :
Those black screens in the head base are called "Universal Censors," and are special sensory screens that can pick up anything from vision to sound to radio signals. Naturally they're used for communication, sight and hearing within the mechs. These mechs by the way, are called "Aesirs," which are M.A. (Machine Armor) built specifically for combat.

The second layer is the "Censor Plating," which is comprised of a special and powerful metal that protects the U.Censors while also allowing their signals to pass through the metal.

The next layer is the "Signal Mask," which to be honest I'm still working on possible practical uses for it. Right now it's more or less just a signal that the Aesir is active. One major use I'm considering is a sort of "focusing" mechanism for the primary U.Censors that makes it easier to communicate. That would give it a practical use as well as make a bit more sense out of little things like tilting the head towards others during communication.

Then after that you have the final "Outer Plating," which serves both defensive and aesthetic purposes.

As for the series itself I don't want to say too much because as I said it's taking a serious backseat to the EthereaVerse's Big Three, but I will say what it's become so far is the result of a lot of self-debate over whether I wanted to make a medieval fantasy style Mecha akin to Escaflowne, a Real Robot to compliment my love for Gundam and Armored Core, or Super Robot to compliment my love for over-the-top action and fights, which also would be my major comfort zone since, as stated earlier, technology and sci-fi are far from my strong suits. I like to think I've found a nice middleground between the latter two with a subtle dash of Escaflowne-esque stuff, all while embracing tropes and nostalgia while twisting them in a few different ways like I try my best to do with most of my EthereaVerse stories.

The atmosphere has been another thing I've struggled to find a good balance with. Funnily enough despite not watching Eva yet, (and being adamantly against paying attention to it until recently,) I think it's eerie mythos and universe have already had some influence on me after a ton of wiki lurking, but I want to avoid making things feel too dark or too light-hearted. Things won't get as psychological as many mecha out there, but nonetheless I want the latter portions of the story to have a frightening and urgent feel to them without losing the over-the-top heroic feel that would come with the aforementioned Super Robot style, as well as without feeling like too hasty of a transition from early parts.
I will say this much; Despite my distaste for bad ends, series in the Blackjack and Pilot Yggdrasil era will be some of the relatively least light-hearted of my various stories. I guess one way to put it is that red shirts get handed out much more liberally in those two series.

Whew... This is too much to be saying about future projects, especially when they're this far off... But I just wanted to share this. *Shrug*

Once I have less on my plate to worry about I want to try and working on more parts of the Aesir, as well as designing some different Outer Plating designs.
Last edited by Seven Rain on July 18th, 2013, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » July 18th, 2013, 2:22 pm

HnnNnNgGG
I dig it!!! I can never make cool Mecha faces!!

Also, I don't think I'd be happy doing anything other than a blend of the aforementioned subgenres! I've been pinkering around with a mecha series idea too and its pretty much that same deal. - u -

Censors are neat and as for the purpose of the internal casing, hmmm...
Maybe it's just additional cushioning against attacks?
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » July 18th, 2013, 2:34 pm

SpiralPen wrote:Censors are neat and as for the purpose of the internal casing, hmmm...
Maybe it's just additional cushioning against attacks?

Actually it's the Sensor Plating that I was still unsure of, (I hope I didn't make it confusing since I forgot to state "From bottom to top" before listing the layers. I edited that in for the sake of clarity,) but the more I think about it the more I think I'm gonna go with the whole "focusing the U.Censors" idea. That would also help create more of a sense of urgency if the mask is damaged and hinders clearer communication.

And I'd love to see some mech designs from you, my brotha. I'm sure your style would give them a real sharp, organic feel.
Seven Rain

Re: EthereaVerse Nonsense (Snail's Pace...)

Postby Seven Rain » August 4th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Hey!
Stuff!

At least a little. After a particularly grind-y SDGO event I'm taking a break from it and getting back to work on comic-ing stuff, but I've also done a liiittle bit of RPG Maker artwork in-between the comic pages.

For starters, how about some enemies?
They're typically quick to whip up and so far one of the funnest aspects of doing my own artwork, so I can manage a few of them a day out of sheer boredom;
Spoiler! :
This first one here is called "Allegiant Remains";
It's really a blast being able to use .png files and transparency and stuff. I'll be able to do some really nifty things like auras and glows like you see here.

Also managed to whip up the battle image for Nohas, the fellow who's artwork was posted on the previous page;

Then we have one that made me laugh harder than anything of my own creation should;
I call it... ROCKTOPUS.

And on top of the stuff my brain manages to regurgitate, I've been jotting down ideas and concepts that my friends help suggest as well, which will make for some interesting abominations. In fact one enemy has already been given life thanks to asking a buddy sitting on my couch what to make;
Spoiler! :

Oh yes. I want my game to have plenty of coolio stuff, but also tons of enemies you see and immediately think "Okay no, that thing needs to die."
Just some of the ideas I have sitting around courtesy of my friends, ready to be drawn in Flash;
Spoiler! :
Human Insect Wizards
Eel Hawks
Squid Flies
Wasp Crabs
Frogodiles
Frog Horses
Lava Polarbears

Last but not least, something that's been more time-consuming than enemy designs, so it's still a WIP, including the armor colors to an extent. Basically anything that's not grey is more than likely the final color;
Her name's Larona, and she'll be one of the central protagonists along with Vanill.
I've decided that although Nohas' design was a bit simplistic, some of these characters I'm going all out on the designs for, seeing as how they won't be needing to be redrawn over and over for comic panels. I might even go back and add more detail to Vanill, but Nohas I think works best with his simple, somewhat barbaric look.

Now I will say this; It's not gonna be an all-Etherean cast so don't worry about black hair and cat ears being all over the main party. Vanill and Larona will be the only playable Ethereans.

I'll be sure to post the final version once it's done but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. I'm excited about this little project but I'm still focused on WOE remaking. Got another page finished up today, in fact.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » August 6th, 2013, 5:44 am

Thread's gotten quiet again, but whatevs. Finished up that character design for Larona, so I might as well post it;
The "At Attention" posture is a tad awkward, but overall I like how it's turned out.
Finishing up the faux-sprite version will likely be a pain, though. That'll definitely have to be put on hold.
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » August 6th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Seven Rain wrote:The "At Attention" posture is a tad awkward, but overall I like how it's turned out.
Finishing up the faux-sprite version will likely be a pain, though. That'll definitely have to be put on hold.

I think the shoulders gotta be more back. Chest out, eye forward looking and all tha jazz. So, yea... It's a bit odd, but a couple more shots at it and I think you can get the kinks ironed out.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » August 6th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Hmm, we'll see. It's primary purpose is for the character portrait in-game;
... As well as simply giving an idea of what she looks like opposed to her sprite version, so I might try tweaking it later or I might leave it as is... I feel like a lazy bum saying that, but I've got so many damn characters and faux-sprites to design still. ;___;

Thanks for the tips, though, I'll be sure to remember those if I do end up tweaking it.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » August 8th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Just to show some signs of life with the remaking;
It's funny how big the quality gap between Passion and the stuff before/after it will be but eh, as I've said this is primarily to set a better foundation. I can always touch up Passion later after updates have started again and I have the time+mood to do so.
Seven Rain

Postby sanspants » August 8th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Hmm, we'll see. It's primary purpose is for the character portrait in-game;
... As well as simply giving an idea of what she looks like opposed to her sprite version, so I might try tweaking it later or I might leave it as is... I feel like a lazy bum saying that, but I've got so many damn characters and faux-sprites to design still. ;___;

Thanks for the tips, though, I'll be sure to remember those if I do end up tweaking it.

Why hello there, RPG Maker! Which version are you using? It looks like VX ACE (which is what I'm using) but I haven't really gotten familiar with the older versions...
Writer. Game designer.

There are no happy endings, because the story never ends.

mitchellbravo wrote:BETWEEN THE LOUD INFINITE ERA????
sanspants

Postby Seven Rain » August 9th, 2013, 12:50 am

It is indeed VX Ace, but to save you the trouble of digging back for more info on my little project I'll say it's unfortunately very much a side project. I work on it a bit here and there but it's taking a backseat to my comic stuff, haha. I have no idea when I'll ever make serious progress on it.
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » August 9th, 2013, 1:28 am

Seven Rain wrote:It is indeed VX Ace,

Wish I can run that mess. Though... if I could, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Maybe make an epic tale of magic and monsters... and.... a potato. Maybe?
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » August 9th, 2013, 11:57 am

ApaFox wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:It is indeed VX Ace,

Wish I can run that mess. Though... if I could, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Maybe make an epic tale of magic and monsters... and.... a potato. Maybe?

Can't run VX Ace, eh? Hope you can at least run this game should it ever be finished, haha.

And you could always try an older one. RPG Maker 2003 is a fun one, since it uses a battle system similar to the classic FF games. ;D
I look forward to playing ApaFox's Potato Quest.
Seven Rain

Re: EthereaVerse Nonsense (John Woo Edition)

Postby Seven Rain » August 9th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Howzabout one more little tease before I stop spamming this thread?
I don't want to feel spammy but I think sharing some of these helps give me a bit more motivation, haha.
Spoiler! :
Do feathers count as John Woo-ness? Or only full-blown birds?
Either way I like the scattered feathers look. I'll certainly be using it multiple times.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Showcase