Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (2016 EDITION!)

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: EthereaVerse Nonsense (Ansem Edition)

Postby Seven Rain » August 11th, 2013, 7:29 am

eishiya wrote:It's not that they necessarily look bad, it's just that... a slight change like that isn't even likely to be noticed. It also doesn't even matter if people do notice it. People expect artwork to change and evolve over time! In fact, I'd say it's better to not change older pages except for really major, plot-relevant changes, because if they're all consistent, it makes you look like you're not getting better.

Well the thing is the consistency isn't just for others but for me as well. It's my mind that gets the nails-on-a-chalkboard treatment when it comes to inconsistency.
And to be brutally honest although I try to be accepting of criticism, my endgame is not art improvement. My absolute biggest goals are completing my stories and building my expanded universe. I just sort of roll with it and improve along the way since I do find enjoyment in drawing, which is why I listen to criticism but don't go looking for it.

But yeah, I understand wanting to see improvement compared to older pages, which is why I'll be putting a rar containing the old stuff up for download afterwards, but I just can't stand seeing things like this when I go back through my old stuff;
Spoiler! :
QUALITY.png

This remaking is just about giving the older pages a better foundation than immature, improvising (which has lead to a bit of re-writing as well,) and still-getting-used-to-digital-drawing me was able to give them several years ago, haha.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » August 15th, 2013, 5:07 am

So earlier, well...
Seven Rain wrote:I just found the original Flash file to my favorite Ixal pic ever, a file I thought got deleted.
I'm pleased by this.
Spoiler! :
And in the process found some old hilaribad concept art for Ixal I completely forgot about. The color scheme is so interesting on Ixal I kinda want to do a "then-and-now" sorta remake of it.

Well I've already posted the former-mentioned Ixal pic a year ago, but the latter is something that... Well... It's seriously an enigma. I have no recollection of drawing it. The file itself was from '08, and it's surprisingly close to the final version of Ixal, so it's gotta be pretty late concept art. I'm just surprised that I forgot about it for so long. The color scheme intrigued me as much as the fact that I forgot all about it, so I decided to do a little updated version for kicks;
It's funny, I've wanted to do stuff like this outside of my comic remaking for some time now, but it took a weird-ass forgotten concept art file to drive me to do it, haha.
Unless memory is failing me yet again and I've done this with single pieces before, but I don't recall remaking anything but comic panels.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » August 16th, 2013, 9:05 am

Okay so this took way too much of my side time+attention but heavens help me I can't help but get a kick out of drawing Candy Kiss. In fact, I was listening to this tune while putting on the finishing touches;
Spoiler! :

It might as well be this pic's theme song, ahahaha... Ha. Don't judge me... Or take this seriously.

Also, this pic is huge, (like 1350x900,) so I'll spoiler it, (click the image if you want to open it in it's own tab;)
Spoiler! :

*EDIT*
Oh and here's a version without the red lighting.
Spoiler! :
Y'know this pic is a reminder that I still need to do something like this with the genders flipped. One of these days I'm totes gonna get to a gal swamped with Etherean dudes and prettyboys, haha.
But as fun as these are they take a lot out of me, so Iunno when that'll happen.
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » August 16th, 2013, 11:55 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Spoiler! :

Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh. Hey, behby... like, mind if I join? Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh

Seraly that looks pretty gwed.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Seven Rain » August 16th, 2013, 12:17 pm

ApaFox wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:
Spoiler! :

Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh. Hey, behby... like, mind if I join? Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh

Spoiler! :

Apa, are you secretly just my friend Clint?
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » August 30th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Just a quick bump for something me and a friend did for an SD Gundam Online event involving putting together a comic page from SDGO screens;
We crack up over his Alt-Numbad character spam, and felt it fitting to make a really dumb comic page about it.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » September 9th, 2013, 12:26 am

I keep telling myself I'll stop posting occasional remake pages but at the same time I MUST SHOW SIGNS OF LIFE FOR MY OWN CONSCIENCE.
I really have been slacking too much lately, though... A friend of mine who previously spent most of his time either working or with his GF has had a ton of time to hang out lately, so we've been going full-nerd-mode on Monster Hunter and SDGO. I want to get back into the groove of remaking pages often enough that I can crank out the occasional random pic, though nothing as big as the last Candy pic.
Spoiler! :

Derp Fathom derp.
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » September 15th, 2013, 7:54 am

That last page was such a meh thing to share, but I want to save the good ones for when the remaking is actually complete. D:
I managed to whip up something extra, though. Partially driven by music, but largely because I've been making better progress on pages lately and thought I'd go ahead and take a break to draw something else. It was also a little special effects test, which turned out rather cheesy-looking but still better than anything I managed with Corel. I'm looking forward to experimenting with effects more in the future~

Oh, and this is another pic of Reina much later in WOE, so anyone who hasn't already seen the post-time skip pics I posted here a couple times, be wary of spoilers;
Spoiler! :

I find the lightning effect both cool but out-of-place at the same time. I'll probably just go back to simply doing the lightning effects in Flash and using transparency shenanigans to my advantage.
I like how the aura turned out, though!

As you can see there's also been a small redesign, which probably won't be the last considering how far off this point in the story is.
Seven Rain

Re: EthereaVerse Nonsense (Forever 90%)

Postby Seven Rain » October 3rd, 2013, 1:30 am

Work has slowed due to Armored Core Verdict Day entering and consuming my life for a good while, but I'm finally slowing down a bit on that game and hopping back into panel work.
In the meantime, I did this for kicks and thought I'd share, despite how dead my thread has become sans my own posts, spoiler'd for language;
Spoiler! :
Partially inspired by a friend of mine. We've made a habit of referring to Ixal as "Dooshbeg!" whenever possible.

I have a bad sense of humor.
Seven Rain

Re: EthereaVerse Nonsense (Back in Action Edition)

Postby Seven Rain » October 19th, 2013, 2:10 am

I really need to find time to make some extra stuff for this thread, but for now I'm on a roll with comic pages and those will always take priority for me when I'm in comic mode.

This however, was a WIP for a Project Wonderful ad that I was gonna use before realizing how strict their file size limit is;
Just thought I'd share, since I haven't had much else to post here.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » October 19th, 2013, 10:54 am

Seven Rain wrote:I really need to find time to make some extra stuff for this thread, but for now I'm on a roll with comic pages and those will always take priority for me when I'm in comic mode.

This however, was a WIP for a Project Wonderful ad that I was gonna use before realizing how strict their file size limit is;
Spoiler! :

Just thought I'd share, since I haven't had much else to post here.

You should be able to optimise it to fit under 150KB by reducing the colours and frame count.
1. Get rid of the textured background. It's barely visible anyway, so just make it a solid dark red.
2. 50 frames is too much for something like this. Reduce the number of frames it takes for each character to move into their position by at least 1 each. They move very quickly anyway. In fact, you might even be able to get away with making them blurs/smears of just a few colours each, and even fewer frames.
3. Go through each character and edit the art to be as few colours as possible. Reuse colours, even if it makes some characters a little off-model. Consider creating a palette of the non-black hair colours (and the red/green eye colours), the darkest and lightest skin colours, and the grey and purple on the first character, then force that palette onto each frame with as few extra colours allowed as possible. Bonus points if you only only add particularly stand-out colours only when those colours are really needed, so you don't get really bright anti-aliasing.
4. Depending on the GIF editor you use, you may be able to optimise the amount of content in each frame by using/abusing the fact that GIF frames can be partially transparent, allowing the previous frames to show through. So, you could leave everything to the left of the currently appearing character transparent because it doesn't change, and only have what's to the right of them have the background, to cover up the previous frame of their appearance. GIF images can optimise "solid" (including solidly transparent) blocks of colour very well, so you could reduce the file size greatly this way. The later frames in particular could see a reduction of 80%+.

I looked at the animation after running it through an optimiser, and it looked good at 32 colours (your current palette is giant). With some manual control of the palette (the automatic tool made it jittery by creating a new palette for each frame), it could look awesome.

tl;dr: Never trust an automatic tool to make optimised GIFs out of non-optimised images. They'll be huge! Most of the optimisations involve reworking the frames by hand to require storing as little data as possible. I am reasonably certain you can get this to under 150KB, perhaps even without reducing the frame count. The question is, is it worth the effort? xP
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » October 19th, 2013, 11:27 am

Oooh, thanks for the tips, I'll definitely remember them for the future, but I'll be happy using a still image.
Besides, most people find animated ads a bit obnoxious, don't they? Haha.

But yeah. I'm not gif-savvy, so even if I don't use an animated PW ad, those tips will come in handy someday, thanks. :O
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » November 16th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Some stuff I guess.
Here's the full shot of a pic used for panels in a recent page;
Spoiler! :

It was chopped up for the panels, so I figured I'd share the full shot here.

And this is a panel featuring Lumm's parents for a Welcome to the IFS! page that won't see the light of day until I have more pages to go along with it, but since it's a flashback panel it doesn't show the pic in full color. So here's the full color version;
Spoiler! :

Fun fact: Lumm's dad is part Japanese, making Lumm part Japanese himself. Nothing significant, but since the entire comic and Lumm himself are supposed to be embodiments of nostalgic 90's-ishnes, I figured it'd be a nice nod to the numerous animation and games from Japan that play such a big part in that nostalgia. Iunno.
Anyways his father's name is Lan Dizzy, (originally Lan Omoide, but took his wife's last name,) and his mother is Lizzie Dizzy. They'll definitely appear in the comic if I find the time to get decently far in it, but for now they're only in a little flashback.
Seven Rain

Postby SpiralPen » November 17th, 2013, 5:18 am

That full body shot of Ara is really sweet!! Like, you tend to go a bit more diminutive with your proportions, but she looks bulky and tall and overall just very realistic!

Also, Lum's dad's eyes are
Spoiler! :
WHOA
BUT WHO'S GOT THAT FLY ASS CLOAK???
Jesus Christ wrote:Knuckles, I gave My life for you and I love you. Blessed are you, My child, because you have confessed of your wrongdoing. Go and sin no more.
SpiralPen

Postby Seven Rain » November 17th, 2013, 3:51 pm

SpiralPen wrote:BUT WHO'S GOT THAT FLY ASS CLOAK???

A Guardian. They'll be referenced in IFS but not actually shown until I start Project Guardian.
Spoiler! :
Which won't be until after WOE, so it's gonna be a long time.
Seven Rain

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Showcase