Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (2016 EDITION!)

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (Among the Ashes Edition)

Postby Seven Rain » June 18th, 2015, 9:05 am

Yooo, it's another art trade! This one is of Ana and Ira, characters from Molly-sama's Among the Ashes/If Ashes Fell!
At first I was gonna go with somethin' more fucked up and focused on Ira's tripped-out episodes, but doing something cute with these two started to sound more fun to do while I was going through the comic for references, (even though the end result is a much more simplistic pic.) Hope I didn't make a bad call with that decision, and I hope you dig it, Molly!

Drawin' tunes:

Found myself groovin' on Quicksand a lot while doin' this one, oddly enough.
Last edited by Seven Rain on November 26th, 2015, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2015, 1:12 am

Seven Rain wrote:
Spoiler! :
At first I was gonna go with somethin' more fucked up and focused on Ira's tripped-out episodes, but doing something cute with these two started to sound more fun to do while I was going through the comic for references, (even though the end result is a much more simplistic pic.) Hope I didn't make a bad call with that decision, and I hope you dig it, Molly!

I love it. <3 It looks kick ass, Seven! I'll be sure to get my half done ASAP! :D
Also side note I love this but I would still totally want to see whatever fucked up stuff you wanted to draw if you ever want to trade again after I finish my half. I love the cute and the fucked up, but I think you know that by now lol.

EDIT:
Also hey look what I found! Side by side now. XD
Spoiler! :

Postby Seven Rain » June 20th, 2015, 1:39 am

So glad you like it!

Molly-sama wrote:Also side note I love this but I would still totally want to see whatever fucked up stuff you wanted to draw if you ever want to trade again after I finish my half. I love the cute and the fucked up, but I think you know that by now lol.

Ha, we'll see. I wouldn't mind doing it someday, I just hope I could even pull it off decently enough.
Spoiler! :
That said I also really wanted to draw Amber, so that's something else I might try out in the future.

Molly-sama wrote:EDIT:
Also hey look what I found! Side by side now. XD
Spoiler! :

Haha, I remember that. I always look back on it and chuckle thinking that it's probably the most out-of-character Ixis I've ever done.
Seven Rain

Re: Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs!

Postby Seven Rain » July 18th, 2015, 10:30 am

Drawin' Tunes: Nostalgia.

Needed a break from drawing Arahnx and Ancient constantly, so I did some extra stuff here and there.
Starting with some long-overdue Ixis x Reina extraness:
It felt so nice to draw this. I haven't had a chance to draw such a happy Ixis in a long time.
Spoiler! :
Although seeing the ATA piece when returning here to post it I realized how similar the poses are... I guess it's just a fun one to draw, but now I feel kinda guilty for not doing a different one with these two.

Also some random Candy Kiss because he really never stops being fun to draw. It's always wild shooting for that balance between cute/sultry/adult/shota-y/etc. with him;
I think this time around I ended up more on the shota-side with him again. I don't mind the look but I gotta make sure I learn to avoid doing that too much. Ethereans are supposed to look youthful, but they're not all meant to look as young as Ixis, who's going to look similar to how he does now even as he grows older.

And then there's something new I tried for the hell of it;
No coloring, no meticulous detail, as little erasing/transforming as possible. I wanted to go for a nice, simple, nostalgic look. Or something. I dunno, it was a whim, but I like it.
The canvas effect was added in Gimp, here's the non-canvas version if anyone prefers to see that;
Spoiler! :
Seven Rain

Postby Seven Rain » November 26th, 2015, 1:23 am

So I've posted a couple things here and there for a series I've been tinkering with called "Time Land" and thought I'd share another TL piece I've worked on lately.
(Drawing tunes:)

The one on the left is an updated version of another character I've probably posted once or twice before. She and the silver-haired boy started as vague character designs I remembered from a dream a couple years back, (as cheesy as that is,) so they've gotten some overhauls as I've crafted them into actual characters, rather than just loose visions.
The black-haired girl is AmaReza Riku, the silver-haired boy is Kieren Kairi, and the gal with the dream-like hair is Elora Sora.
These three will be the major protagonists at the start of the story, but things will shift to many other central characters. The cast will be a lot more spread out and balanced than WOE, which focuses much more on Ixis and his relationships.

Time Land info and rambling incoming:
Spoiler! :
These three in particular have become rather precious to me though, partially because Time Land as a whole is meant to embody a very different sense of nostalgia and memories than Welcome to the IFS! is meant to. While the latter is meant to be more of a 90's/childhood love-letter slice of life series with goofy fanservice and stuff thrown in, Time Land is a love-letter to some of the impactful games and stories from my teenage years like KH and FFX, (and more importantly my unique impressions of them before actually having my hands on 'em,) and stuff that changed me quite a lot as a teenager, and just a general re-imagining of the stories me and my friends came up with playing outside with wooden swords and inside with action figures.

In case it isn't already painfully obvious, Kingdom Hearts will be centerpiece to the shout-outs and events early in the story, and things will gradually evolve from that into other noticeable love-letters and more original stories and characters, but at the start it's KH through-and-through. These three will live on an island together, and after certain rocky events expell them from their home, the story will follow them reuniting and becoming accustomed with other places in Time Land. There are more similarities than that, but I don't want to say much more.

I've been getting increasingly excited for this. I really shouldn't, but I am. I want to stabilize my WOE updates and get Welcome to the IFS! to a better stopping point, and then try working on some actual pages for Time Land. It'll be a while but I don't want to wait as long as I initially planned. It's been too much fun to write.

With that out of the way, have some probablyfinal concept art for a character from another project, one that won't happen for a much longer time;
I've already gone into a bit more detail about this fellow here, but this is the first time I've posted a full shot of him and the Lance of Longinus.

Aaand, finally here are some more doodles and concepts for stuff. I rarely do any serious drawing with pen and paper but it makes for good, quick character designs/concepts;
Spoiler! :

Oh, and some random Candy/Ixis from back when my Mouse got replaced and I needed time to practice and get back into the groove of things;
Seven Rain

Postby Bowserknight » November 26th, 2015, 12:04 pm

You draw some cool-looking people as always!

I love hearin about all your ideas and stuff... the whole nostalgia & love-letter thing is exactly the kinda stuff I wanna make. These character concepts are getting me motivated to draw my own characters more, actually.
Bowserknight

Postby Tacbot Unit-89 » November 26th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Hella rad lizard dude, bruh!
Sonic-ock wrote:good euphemisms for taking a poop I've heard recently, Busting a Nugget and Making Bears.
Tacbot Unit-89

Postby Seven Rain » November 26th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Bowserknight wrote:You draw some cool-looking people as always!

I love hearin about all your ideas and stuff... the whole nostalgia & love-letter thing is exactly the kinda stuff I wanna make. These character concepts are getting me motivated to draw my own characters more, actually.

Glad to hear it. Nothing makes me feel better than motivating people with my stuff! Hope you enjoy Time Land whenever I actually get it started!

Tacbot Unit-89 wrote:Hella rad lizard dude, bruh!

Reptilian characters da bes.
Seven Rain

Postby JoKeR » November 27th, 2015, 11:12 am

Cute fellas galore :mrgreen:
'Would only suggest to give your characters a slightly bigger back of the head in the side view... So the cuteness factor will reach 110%
I really dig your p&p sketches. But you know already what I think about your analogue drawings. ;)
And yes, the Reptilian guy looks very interesting.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Seven Rain » November 27th, 2015, 2:21 pm

JoKeRcologne wrote:'Would only suggest to give your characters a slightly bigger back of the head in the side view... So the cuteness factor will reach 110%

Yeah, that's something I've been trying to work on. I assume you're mainly referring to Ixis at the bottom, there? I figured I did a better job with the proportions on the girls in the first pic.

JoKeRcologne wrote:I really dig your p&p sketches. But you know already what I think about your analogue drawings. ;)

Well I'm glad you like 'em even though they're so small and the scan quality is questionable, haha. It's been so long since I've scanned anything that some of it turned out a bit messy, but most of it's just for references to redraw/design in Flash at a later time anyway.
Seven Rain

Re: Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (2016 EDITION!)

Postby Seven Rain » January 1st, 2016, 7:48 pm

Drawin' tunes: Reluctantly jamming out to music so good it makes me angry.

Also Sponge.

Anyway HAPPY 2016 YOU GUYS!
I know there's a lot of re-used assets here, (in fact like a third of it is from this very page,) but whatever. I wanted to cover all the fresh ideas and plans of the EthereaVerse for this one, it would've taken literal days to finish if I didn't, and I'd rather put that energy into comic pages! I still wanted to get a nice little extra thing done for the new year, though, so I started this last night, continued working on it through the clock striking midnight and finished it up after another session the last hour.

Hope it'll be a good year! Thanks to anyone and everyone who reads WOE, keeps up with my side projects, and ventures into my thread to check my art! Whether you're still an SJ regular or not, I love you all and I hope to do my best to get stuff done hardcore in 2016, and I'll keep doing my best to win over new fans, too!
Seriously, I love love love you all and I love this site! Y'all make life really special! Thank you!
Seven Rain

Re: Seven Rain Drawin' Thangs! (2016 EDITION!)

Postby Seven Rain » March 5th, 2016, 5:30 am

So recently I decided to go through and remove the copyrighted artworks used in the paintings around Castle Adamantia, to replace them with original art. This involved editing a lot of older pages, which took longer than it should have, but is all wrapped up now. (Assuming I didn't miss any pages.)
I figured I'd share the new paintings here for the hell of it, as some peeps out there might be interested in seeing them all together in one place, and nice and clean without characters and stuff obstructing them:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Some of them were given some extra treatment in Gimp, though the ones that had to be blurred in the backgrounds were kept as-is to avoid them being indiscernible with the BG blur. Basically paintings that were in-focus were gussied up to look more like actual paintings in-comic, rather than matching the artstyle of the characters and environment.

Anyway I thought it would be fun to fill the paintings of Castle Adamantia with vibrant colors and rainbows to contrast the dull colors of the castle, while also telling a vague story in the process.
I didn't want to replace the previous artwork with fanart fill-ins, so I wracked my brain for a couple days trying to think of stuff to fill the paintings with. I like the end results, but hopefully future paintings won't be difficult to come up with ideas for.
Spoiler! :
And if I decorate Etherean locales with paintings and the like I'll have to be sure to think of even more distinct things, to separate their artistic culture from Adamantia's.

*EDIT*
I doubt anyone will see this or care, but in case someone by chance stumbles upon this thread and wants to see more, I post pretty much everything non-comic-related to Twitter and Tumblr now.
Seven Rain

Previous

Return to Creative Showcase