Cookie can has a sketchbook? <:3

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Cookie can has a sketchbook? <:3

Postby Cookieluv246 » September 8th, 2010, 10:41 am

Ahhh I'm a newb newb newb on here.
I only lurk periodically but I wanna post some now.
I have youtube, a livestream, and devianart.

/x/
I'll try to frequent more, this is the latest picture I've done, it has my oc (Kami) dressed up as Kamina from TTGL XD I thought it was appropriate because of their names and way they both carry themeselves.
Spoiler! :

I wanna work on a whole set with all my characters from that show. RO RO FIGHT THE POWA~!
I've got the sketch of 'Yoko' done,

And I'm also working on a wip for an art trade with a friends trap character.

I don't really like it though, its the face more then anything, maybe its because I'm trying to draw teeth now? I dunno its scary looking to me. ;_; Any tips on what I could do to make it look not so creepy?
Last edited by Cookieluv246 on April 18th, 2011, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Look at my Sketchbook
tezzle wrote:Because at the end of the day, isn't that what Christmas is all about?...Gay sex?

robybang wrote:OUTRAGEOUS! EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T SMOKE ON A SUBMARINE!
Cookieluv246

Re: Cookie can has a sketchbook? <:3

Postby eishiya » September 8th, 2010, 11:14 am

Don't make the divisions between the teeth so dark. Teeth are about subtlety. The divisions should be very faint. Heck, half the time I don't even draw them, I just draw the edges of the teeth and let those suggest the divisions.
eishiya

Postby ninjies » September 8th, 2010, 12:34 pm

you draw bottom teeth the same length, or longer, than the top teeth. most people have an overbite, so the top teeth are usually longer.

i am just in love with your coloring style! it's so vivid and slick, and your anatomy is really dynamic. you got a great start, here *u*
ninjies

Postby Cookieluv246 » September 8th, 2010, 4:03 pm

@Eishiya: *w* Thank you.I was doing that before (with the edges) but I've been wanting to try em since they're one of the harder things to make look good/natural.

@Ninjes: I actually didn't notice XDD Lol, thank you, I adujsted it. I've been trying to get my poses to be more dynamic cause I tend to choose boring postures /x/ Or atleast it feels that way.

Also heres an update on the wip from earlier:
Spoiler! :

Ugggh I can feel this taking a long time/impatient.
Look at my Sketchbook
tezzle wrote:Because at the end of the day, isn't that what Christmas is all about?...Gay sex?

Cookieluv246

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2010, 12:16 am

You have lovely artwork. :'D My critique would be to watch the positioning of your fingers/hands, since your OC dressed as Kamina seemes to have crooked fingers. XD;;
Other than that, I LOVELOVELOVE your colors and shadings. ;A; I'm friggin' jealous.

Postby Cookieluv246 » September 10th, 2010, 12:45 am

Thank you >u<
And ugh ugh you are completely right about the hands. I seriously have a posing problem with them. I like or them to do things that they shouldn't be able to do XDD It's annnnoooyyiing.

And more of an update on this damn wip AHHH
I've been working on this for like three days now? (Though not straight) I'm already sick of this, I don't like it ;___; I like the shading though, this is the only thing keeping me going. I basically used this for practice, I feel bad for my friend, lol XD
I had updated the eyes and the hands and did the clothing some but ugh ugh its still ugly to me.

Heres some random practice I did with some OLDDDDD LINEART (The days I use to draw in ms.paint and color in gimp *single tear* Good times, good times)
(Spoiler cause it kinda scared me O_o)
Spoiler! :

Ahhh I don't miss it by the least, I was a smudger, and it makes me angry. But somehow or another I think I might try it again.

One more, my two characters Kami (the "Kamina") and Kiki both from one of my webcomics. I'm planning on adding someone else too and idk how I'ma color it. ( I was thinking either really soft like how you see anime watercolor their stuff or cellshading)
Which would you guys prefer?
Look at my Sketchbook

Cookieluv246

Postby eishiya » September 10th, 2010, 9:05 am

It seems like a fairly soft image, so I think a softer method of colouring might be better.
But remember, in reality, hard shadows happen too, so it's common to find both soft and hard shadows together on the same object. You seem to have grasped this judging by your toothy WIP, but it's a common misconception people seem to have that soft and sharp shading are somehow mutually exclusive.

Your colouring style for the toothy one really reminds me of someone I collaborated with once, but apparently you're not her (different dA). Surprised me a little. Anyway, I think it's a lovely WIP, I hope we'll get to see it finished~
eishiya

Postby Cookieluv246 » September 10th, 2010, 10:59 pm

eishiya wrote:It seems like a fairly soft image, so I think a softer method of colouring might be better.
But remember, in reality, hard shadows happen too, so it's common to find both soft and hard shadows together on the same object. You seem to have grasped this judging by your toothy WIP, but it's a common misconception people seem to have that soft and sharp shading are somehow mutually exclusive.

Your colouring style for the toothy one really reminds me of someone I collaborated with once, but apparently you're not her (different dA). Surprised me a little. Anyway, I think it's a lovely WIP, I hope we'll get to see it finished~

That's true. People do that though so they can feel more "official" to anime. Though anime only cellshades for ease of animation. If it was easier to shade like they do in Visual Novels, they probably would do that.
I'm not a very good cellshader though, like, I get annoyed drawing a picture with pure cellshading, somehow or another I tend to have to make /something/ soft.
This is the best example I have of my "cellshading"
Spoiler! :

And I'm glad someone likes that wip, cause I genuinely don't XD'' And may I see that persons dA oxo I'm a little honored you misinterpreted me though ^ ^ '' I've been fond of your art for about a year now, I think I first found you on gaia before I knew you had a comic.

And here are some colored headshots of three of my main characters~ =w= I think I'ma try and make most (or all) of them. This is gonna be difficult lol XD

Notice how Kami and Kiki (Kami middle, Kiki right) contrast eachother but Emiko (Left, also she's 'yoko' in above pic) contrast NO ONE XD
Kami's face was a little difficult, he's not normally very "fun" to draw in terms of his face (I have the hardest keeping him consistent) and he only has funny/extreme expressions when he's devious *points to Kamina picture* Angry, or upset. He's not much of a smiler /w/ He also looks like he does not wanna be there with his sister all up on him.
Look at my Sketchbook

Cookieluv246

Postby eishiya » September 10th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Cel shading is difficult to do well, and it's mainly done to keep things consistent between frames. Many pin-up artworks for anime are soft-shaded or similar, so I don't really get the point of imitating the animation look in non-animation works. Also, look up Gez Fry's works for inspiration for cel shading ;D
The visual novel types of shading are also done for speed, actually. With a few painterly exceptions, most of them are done with solids and gradients, which allows artists to pump them out very quickly. The reason animation typically doesn't do this is because it's harder to keep it consistent, just as with painted colours.

I'd rather not pimp dAs, and she actually doesn't have anything up there that looks like what I was thinking of (our unfinished collab). ...and now I can't find that collab, I think I deleted it D8

And it always warms my heart when it turns out someone knew me from before. ...or that someone is a fan :F~ And lawl, Gaia. I haven't posted there in a while, the SJ forums are much better ;D

Be careful with the colours on that group image. The shadows are very saturated while the midtones are comparatively dull, it looks a bit odd. It's often the case that shadows are more saturated, but I think you're overdoing it, and without the usual compensation of darkness. You shadows aren't really showing the forms either. You're doing detail shadows, but not form shadows. I'm not really sure how to explain it better, urgh ;_;
eishiya

Postby Cookieluv246 » September 11th, 2010, 12:12 am

;__;
Gez Fry <3
His stuff is amazing.
And omg really D:>? I mean, I guess it makes sense, seeing as how coporal japan and stuff is, but I never knew the real process on how to do those VN's. >w>''

And aww ok.~

And I /think/ I know what you mean?
Were you referring mostly to the skin, such as
Look at my Sketchbook

Cookieluv246

Postby eishiya » September 11th, 2010, 6:59 am

I was referring to the skin when talking about the colours, but the lack of volume shading goes for everything.
I'm not seeing any major differences between the Before and After, though... I like the Before better, with its more defined shadows ):
Try drawing an arrow on another layer to indicate the direction, intensity, and colour of the light source. That constant reminder might make it easier for you to do the forms.
eishiya

Postby Cookieluv246 » September 29th, 2010, 2:17 am

@Eishiya: Thanks for the tip oxo
I tried that with the pic I just finished ~-~
And sorry for the late reply =w='' I haven't drawn that much lately BUUUUTT~ I did get to draw some commission work.

Any of you ever heard of Soba Scans?
If so, say hello to their new mascot =w=
Heres a chibi thing...:
Spoiler! :

And some ms.paint pictures:
Both of these are old designs of my character Kiki (Chick in the pink in previous picture)
Spoiler! :

This one is the second oldest version of her, oh the times when I was into magical girls /w/

Spoiler! :

This is the oldest oldest, apart of a fanfic for Inuyasha OTL
I cry.
Look at my Sketchbook

Cookieluv246

Postby Cookieluv246 » October 5th, 2010, 10:37 am

Cookie's back for another art dump~
Yaaaaay

So like, I had changed my avatar, and this was the picture I shrank
I think I was inspired by yuumei(sp?) on dA and so I tried a different method.
I also did another

Annnnnd I manged to also make another story....*facepalm*
Spoiler! :

I refuse >:I
I refuse I refuse I refuse
Fuck you brain.
I did the cover to feed my lust, but mann.
Maaaaan
That picture was originally Robot Uke 300
How the fuck did I make a story out of that what is this I don't even--
Whatever >:I

Humm I'm trying to animate, so I made some character sketches from the animation
Spoiler! :

Yes I know I am very unoriginal because I love to keep using the same characters over and over and just slightly change them to fit my needs.
BUT when I dont, like when I was drawing robot Uke 300 I MAKE STORIES
MY LIFE
MY LIIIIIIFFFEE ;___;

I was also trying to draw some more of my characters
WHO EVER CAN GUESS THE SONG HES SINGING GETS A FREE DRAWING REQUEST
GO GO GO D<

And a random pixel /x/
I really am no good at these ahhh
Look at my Sketchbook

Cookieluv246

Postby trenton_dawn » October 5th, 2010, 11:23 am

Your coloring style is so cool! I love how bright and bold everything is!
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Cookieluv246 » October 13th, 2010, 4:34 am

Thank you >w<
I try ;w;

Here's a sketchdump, warning big image is big

And these are drawings I did on livestream
All of these are boy except the robot. It is an it:
Robot love again, spoilered for nipples
Spoiler! :
Look at my Sketchbook

Cookieluv246

Next

Return to Creative Showcase