Reigan's Really Radical Roadshow

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: The Big Thread of Ugly Things.

Postby Reigan » December 2nd, 2010, 4:17 pm

Spoiler! :

Another new style I thought I'd try out. Even though it's half-assed and lazy, I still kind of like it. Finally figured out how to get no background! 8D

Spoiler! :

That tentacle wasn't fun D< But I really like the end result ^^

Spoiler! :

A new OC I created. So plain, I know, but that's the point ;D For more info about her, go here ^^

YakkitySax wrote:Hey, tablets take a little while to get used to. When you are naturally looking down at a piece of paper and drawing, it's hard to shift from that position to forward on to a computer screen. Seriously you'll do just fine. Maybe try changing your pen settings in the program you're using for better results. At least for the lines.

Also I always wanna do meme's but I forget about them. :<

Do you know how to change the pen settings? I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0. I am a serious amateur when it comes to the program. Though I'm not that serious about using the tablet, since I'm perfectly fine with doing it traditionally, I just thought I'd "expand my horizons" xD

I love doing memes, but since I can't really draw with a tablet that well, my selection is really limited D;

Nym.Katharina wrote:Your drawings have sorta Tim Burtonish feel. Its really cool, and you pick colors well.

That's really funny, actually, because I've only ever watched one of his movies ("The Nightmare Before Christmas") once, but I loved it to pieces.

Thank you for the compliments ^^

Tomete wrote:Tablets take time. Don't get discouraged. And draw more. I absolutely love your work and your attention to detail. You pick out things that I have trouble noticing.

(Although, perhaps that's my fault and I'm just being ignorant)

Don't worry, I'm not discouraged! As I said, I'm not too serious about using the tablet anyways.

And thank you! It makes me really happy to hear people love my work! I actually brought some of my sketches to school today, and a lot of people found them creepy and weird. I had to hide under my bookbag while they laughed |D
I put a lot of detail into my work? I never really thought of it *looks at sketches* Nah, I's just be scribblin' b'y, nuttin' to be concerned about!
I just scrutinized my favorite artists art, and adapted it to my own. Sometimes if you don't like what you have, you have to tear it all down and start from the beginning.

fancykosher wrote:
Reigan wrote:
Spoiler! :

Just a sketch that I molested my prismas with... then altered them using Picnik (though that isn't a texture... those are all just my mistakes that surfaced...)

ooooooh love this one, reminds me whenever i were sewing the dolls i'm going to give this x-mas... feels murdered... but cute lolol

Thank you! ^^

==

Would it be too much if I asked if anybody know any good Shading tutorials, or just some tips you can give me? If you've noticed, I usually don't shade, and avoid it altogether. It makes everything look so dull and ugly D; But I don't have the smallest inkling of how to do it! So if anyone could help me, you'd be a big help :)

And how do you guys think of me posting some writing as well? I'm currently working on a novel, and have about 15+ chapters completed, but I'm stopping at the moment to get all of my ideas down. I wouldn't post all of it, because It'd be too long, just tiny excerpts.
Reigan

Location: The land or fairy tales, gum drops, and all that good stuff.

Postby Tomete » December 4th, 2010, 11:51 am

People have done it before, so go for it. [s]Also, since my school library has absolutely no good material other than Shakespeare[/s]

And also, with shading...I feel like I could help you with the basics, but I'm still learning myself, and I don't know if I'm exactly the most qualified person to be speaking about it. <_> Although I think for cartooning a general rule of thumb is that the hair in the back (Especially if it's really long) is always darker than their bangs/"front hair".

I really admire how diverse your artstyle is.
Tomete

Postby Reigan » December 5th, 2010, 10:50 am

Haven't drawn anything decent in the past two days, and I feel very lazy D;
So have something old and ugly instead.

Spoiler! :

===

So here's how posting bits of my writing will work *stern voice*
I will go in order of the novel (like chapter 1 before two, ect), so you will have somewhat of an inkling what's going on, or at least on order of events.
It probably wont be more than a paragraph, but if you want more, just ask... or something.
There will be parts of my novel that you will not understand, in case of that, I will probably bold it and an explanation/definition will be at the bottom for you to gander at.
Please correct any grammar/spelling mistakes/sentence flow, or whatever else you find is messed up. I'm really serious about my writing, and I really want your opinions/critics.

Okay, so here we go >.<

Synopsis:
Illia Coppermen lives in a shabby old house which she loves, alongside her not-so-faithful companion Morty, and her mother. But suddenly she is thrust out of her mundane life and into a new world that is strange and alien to her, and has to hide away from someone who she hadn't even known existed. Why? Because Iliia is a Witch, and whether she chooses the "good" or the "bad" side, could change everything.

Spoiler! :
As I sat on a stool in front of an empty flask, I stared into it, seeing the distorted images it showed me of another girl names Julie who sat across from me.
Julia never talked much, at least not to me. A guy named Keith was next to her, who wouldn’t stop calling out to his friends over at another table behind me.
The urge to punch him was strong, though I could easily blame it on my sour mood, so I continued to stare through the contorted images in the glass silently. I moved my head up and down slightly, and was amused to see Keith’s head morph from comically skinny, to insanely large, his eyes bulging out like a bugs. I laughed under my breath, and when I straightened my back, I saw that Julie was looking at me strangely like Jake had earlier.
“I… was looking at Keith’s head through the flask….” I explained sheepishly “it makes him look really funny…”
Julie rolled her eyes, to turned her attention elsewhere.
The science teacher instructed us to fill our flasks halfway with water, and I volunteered quickly, snatching the flask before anyone else could even move to touch it.
As I strode towards the only sink in the back of the room, I waited for everybody else to move.
The guys were shoving each other out of the way, laughing, and were all trying to place their flasks under the tap at the same time. Most of their hands got wet in the process, so they began to rub their fingertips on each others faces.
I thought it was harmless fun, so I quickly swiped my fingers under the running water, and waved my hands in front of Jake, who I had spotted behind me.
“Jesus! What the hell was that for!” he cursed “you friggin’ slut!”
I flinched, and watched as he continued to throw random words at me that suggested I was a female dog, and told me to do something that was genetically impossible to myself.
“I know, I know” I agreed, not really listening anymore, and turned around, finding that the sink was vacant. I carefully placed my flask under it, and filled it up halfway.
I knew that I shouldn’t let it get to me, but I couldn’t help but throw bad names at him silently all throughout the rest of the class.

Oh yes, he is a very, very, mean boy D< I dislike him very much.
Last edited by Reigan on December 8th, 2010, 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reigan

Re: The Big Thread of Ugly Things + Writing

Postby Reigan » December 5th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Spoiler! :

Should I have just put this is in the same post since it's the same day and all?

...Nah...

But look at this! Look at this! I did something decent today!! 8D She's a new OC of mine named Ms. Matched. GET IT?! *shot*

EDIT:

I forgot to reply earlier! D;

Tomete wrote:People have done it before, so go for it. [s]Also, since my school library has absolutely no good material other than Shakespeare[/s]

And also, with shading...I feel like I could help you with the basics, but I'm still learning myself, and I don't know if I'm exactly the most qualified person to be speaking about it. <_> Although I think for cartooning a general rule of thumb is that the hair in the back (Especially if it's really long) is always darker than their bangs/"front hair".

I really admire how diverse your artstyle is.

Thank you for the advice! And have a lot of styles because sometimes I just can't express yourself properly with one, so I have others that might help me. That's the only real reason why I draw; to vomit all of my feelings onto an innocent sheet of paper.
Reigan

Postby Reigan » December 7th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Spoiler! :
MORE MEMES! 8D Click here to see more on the artists! *advertisement voice*

Spoiler! :

Do you know how much a hate this (and the next one too)? A LOOOOOT. I have no idea what I was at when I grabbed that pencil last week D;

Spoiler! :

I HATE THIS EVEN MORE THOUGH. IT LOOKS LIKE A 5 YEAR-OLD ATE A PEN AND THREW UP ON SOME PAPER. *shoots self* (Those things in the corners aren't even supposed to be there TT^TT)
I was even too ashamed to sig it.. (haha- NOPE. Just forgot..)

EDITTTT!
Lookie here~! Something a little bit better.. I suppose... don't really like her head, BUT WHATEVER ;D

Oh yeah, she doesn't have all of her right arm at the moment, in case you're wondering...

I'm my novel, Augest Lively is a girl that can shape-shift into a crow, and is very useful communication-wise during the war. But during one of her trips, she is kidnapped by some religious Mundies (Non-magical people), who think she's a fallen angel despite her black wings. To prevent her from escaping, they tear off her wings, and imprison her in their basement, where they drain her blood for their religious rituals.
Reigan

Postby Tomete » December 7th, 2010, 9:45 pm

I really love your style. Very halloween-like. I really don't see much of that around, and it's kind of what I admire looking at. (Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough) Especially the occasional cross-hatched eye(s). Honestly, if you put more detail into your pictures (Might I suggest eye shadow and "grayer" values of color? That's just my personal preference, though. No need to pay attention if you don't want to) , you could totally pull off a very fine comic.

Also. Your writing isn't bad at all. Very to the point, but vivid. I really wish I could offer critique, but sadly, despite loving literature, writing stories is simply not up my alley. (Also, there's this guy named Jake who acts exactly like that at my school. Coincidence?)
Tomete

Postby Reigan » December 8th, 2010, 5:25 pm

This is so messy, it almost makes me laugh. But what's more comical is the fact that he's SMILING. And it's an overall HAPPY picture. I wonder what's gotten into me lately...
Spoiler! :
HAHAHA WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THOSE FINGERS?!

My scanner wouldn't scan the tear in the paper, so I put a pink folder behind it. Smartest idea? Probably not.
Spoiler! :

SO HERE'S WHERE THE STRANGE STUFF WENT 8D
I had the urge to draw weird contraptions, okay?! D;
Spoiler! :

Tomete wrote:I really love your style. Very halloween-like. I really don't see much of that around, and it's kind of what I admire looking at. (Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough) Especially the occasional cross-hatched eye(s). Honestly, if you put more detail into your pictures (Might I suggest eye shadow and "grayer" values of color? That's just my personal preference, though. No need to pay attention if you don't want to) , you could totally pull off a very fine comic.

Also. Your writing isn't bad at all. Very to the point, but vivid. I really wish I could offer critique, but sadly, despite loving literature, writing stories is simply not up my alley. (Also, there's this guy named Jake who acts exactly like that at my school. Coincidence?)

Thank you!
*looks up at first post*
Very Halloween-ish indeed |D

Thank you for the advice! Someone else has told me that before, but I can't seem to break out of that bad habit. BUT I'LL JUST HAVE TO TRY HARDER 8D

==

(Part of) Chapter 2 of my novel:

Spoiler! :
I pictured myself flying high above the salty ocean, my arms spread outwards as if I had wings. I’d be wearing a white gown, because that’s what would look nice in those situations, even if I hated wearing dresses. It would billow gracefully behind me, making me look like a pale ghost in the sky. The tide would be high, and the water would be dark and dangerous-looking; the colour of black ink. The murky grey clouds above me would cover every square inch of the sky, painting the world grey.
Suddenly, it began to rain.
It was a heavy downpour. Buckets and buckets of water fell from the sky, as if it hadn't rained in months. It quickly seeped through my gown and drenched my hair, but I didn't mind. In fact, I loved it.
I spun, and spun, and spun; untill I got so dizzy that everything seemed to be everywhere. Even then, though, I’d want to spin more.
I giggled; something most unnatural coming from me, but I was too happy to notice or care.
Farther up ahead, there was only water, and it was the same behind me, to the left, and to the right, as well. It went on for miles and miles, and I didn’t know where I was going, or where I had come from. The strange thing was that I didn't care, either. All that mattered was here and now.
I dipped downward, untill my body was just almost skimming the sloshing waves. I reached down slightly, and giggled again when my fingertips gently grazed the ice-cold water.
I closed my eyes, and reached down with my other hand as well, laughing to my hearts content.
The bell rang. Class was over.

I wish I could have daydreams like that too... >.>
Reigan

Postby Tomete » December 8th, 2010, 9:28 pm

...I've never fallen asleep in class, but if I did, I'd want to dream something awesome like that.

For the first picture, I like how you did the hair, following the rules of gravity and all, but I think that the clothes could be hanging down a bit more. Also. I say that smile is because he's imagining she's on the monkey bars. I love those things.

Reigan wrote:
Spoiler! :
I'd love to see that as a brain-control device of some sort, but my mind always jumps to a dental contraption. And so I would like to avoid something like that from ever hitting the market. Forever. If possible.
Tomete

Postby Reigan » December 9th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Only one thing today, and probably the last one for a while (= a couple of days)Image

I miss fingerpainting :( I should go out and buy some sooner or later...

Tomete wrote:...I've never fallen asleep in class, but if I did, I'd want to dream something awesome like that.

For the first picture, I like how you did the hair, following the rules of gravity and all, but I think that the clothes could be hanging down a bit more. Also. I say that smile is because he's imagining she's on the monkey bars. I love those things.

Reigan wrote:
Spoiler! :
I'd love to see that as a brain-control device of some sort, but my mind always jumps to a dental contraption. And so I would like to avoid something like that from ever hitting the market. Forever. If possible.

Thank you! ^^ I know what you mean, but I couldn't fix it, because, you know... it's pen. And I don't like Monkey Bars D< They hurt my hands and I'm weak so I can't lift myself up. Stupid things.

Also, I hope that doesn't happen either. It could be considered the end of the world.

Oh yeah. I was wondering if I'm posting too frequently? Does it annoy anyone? Please let me know ^^
Reigan

Postby Ddraigeneth » December 9th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Not when you actually have new things to post...why would that be annoying? Posting too much would be responding to each person in a separate post, then putting a picture in a whole new post. When it's not pointlessly repeated posting, I don't see any problem.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Tomete » December 9th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Hmmm...very shojou-y. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I've seen a style like that been emulated and mimicked a lot. Oh well. You switch styles constantly, so I shouldn't be saying stuff like that.

I do love the effects you used with the "paint". Blended colors make this picture very creative and fun-looking. Not to mention all the little graphic designs here and there. A little tip, though. If it was really fingerpainted, the heart wouldn't look so "sketchy(?)" on the hump, since it was painted by a finger, and it [The finger] generally tends to produce very smooth, roundish results.
Tomete

Postby Reigan » December 11th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Spoiler! :

I felt so inspired after seeing some of Rann's work. I will coloure this ONE DAY. I SWEAR.

Spoiler! :

My improvement baffles even me. I only started drawing for about a year, two at most, and it's been only recently that I've started to improve. I think there was some block somewhere, where all of my skills were being trapped, and something opened up to let it all through in one go. I just hope I continue to improve in the future ^^

Ddraigeneth wrote:Not when you actually have new things to post...why would that be annoying? Posting too much would be responding to each person in a separate post, then putting a picture in a whole new post. When it's not pointlessly repeated posting, I don't see any problem.

Ah, that's a relief, thank you! ^^

Tomete wrote:Hmmm...very shojou-y. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I've seen a style like that been emulated and mimicked a lot. Oh well. You switch styles constantly, so I shouldn't be saying stuff like that.

I do love the effects you used with the "paint". Blended colors make this picture very creative and fun-looking. Not to mention all the little graphic designs here and there. A little tip, though. If it was really fingerpainted, the heart wouldn't look so "sketchy(?)" on the hump, since it was painted by a finger, and it [The finger] generally tends to produce very smooth, roundish results.

Oh really? I should try and find a new way to draw younger kids then, because I try to make everything original :)

And thank you for the info! I'll definitely work on it! I'm really glad you like what I did with the colour blending, because I thought I messed it up for sure!
Reigan

Postby Tomete » December 11th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Whoa. Hold on. You've only been drawing for about a year? I suddenly feel a wave of inferiority coming on. Sigh.

Reigan wrote:
Spoiler! :

I really do love this piece. From the scar, to the dress, to the background. (Sometimes less is more) It all just gives off this whole occult/otherworldly state. I really don't have much of a critique to give this piece other than my inner freak demanding more shading. But that's just him. Er, me.

Fabulous work, as always. Every time you post, it's like there's another twist. I like that about your art. (Although don't feel pressured into drawing something completely different each time. It's better if you just keep doing what you're doing. I'll probably end up liking it anyways)
Tomete

Postby Reigan » December 13th, 2010, 6:37 pm

My small sheet of 8.5x11" printer paper suddenly decided it would suddenly become too short to completely finish the left side of the wing, and I'm pretty sure that my stupid scanner took out a good chunk as well -.-
Spoiler! :

I swear to god that this doesn't represent my mental state >.> Stupid me is stupid and forgot to shade inside the mouth /facepam
Spoiler! :
I could only imagine the insects burrowing into my flesh, crawling under my skin as if trying to eat me inside out. I felt it loosely sag from my face, like melting wax, exposing my inner muscles and even bone.
It itched. I scratched and scratched at my face, drawing blood, but it was like a rash that only got worse as the second ticked by. I began to scream because my eyes were bleeding clear liquid that burned more than acid.
This body; this thing, it wasn't mine. I scratched again-the itch was unbearable, but there was nothing I could do to stop it. I didn't recognize the creature in the mirror. The rabid animal was not me; it couldn't be. But when I raised my hand, it would mirror my movements perfectly, causing me to cry out like an inhuman beast, and claw at my neck more. More clear liquid streamed down my face, burning my decaying flesh.

(Part of) Chapter 3 of my novel:

Spoiler! :
“Geez, we should hurry, or we’ll miss the bus”. I said, though not really worried since I had my cellphone on me.
“Yeah” Whitney agreed, clasping her new necklace around her neck. She glanced down at her chest, and smiled.
“Isn’t it pretty?” she asked, slowing down so I could catch up and see.
“Yeah” I nodded. I really did like it,and would have bought one for myself. But that would be weird, and plus didn’t have enough money.
My mind quickly wandered elsewhere, though, when I noticed the bus stop across the street. I ran ahead without bother to look both ways, and twirled happily on the yellow lines, my arms outstretched and eyes closed.
“Leah! Look out!” I heard Whitney scream.
I opened my eyes the exact second I felt a sudden wind knocking me to the side. I heard the sound of screeching tires, and whipped my head around to see a car maneuvering around me, the tires on the left side almost leaving the ground. It flipped over, and began to tumble down the street, bouncing like a rubber ball. The screams mixed in with crumpling metal and grinding asphalt that bleed through my ears. The car hopped into the air for the final time, and crashed into the side of a building, half of the size it had been originally.
Almost three seconds it had taken. Three.
I stood there, stunned, unable to comprehend what had just happened. I let my arms drop limply by my side, and turned my whole body towards the crash.
A pool of blood bloomed underneath the wreckage.
“Go get help!” I shouted to Whitney, who was still frozen to her spot on the sidewalk.
“Don’t you want me-”
“JUST GO GET HELP.” I shrieked, my voice cracking.

Dun dun dunnnnn...! I thought that this scene was actually in chapter five, but whatever xD I think this is where you meet some new characters, so I might post some more of this chapter before I go onto the fourth...
You'd never think that this was about magic, would you?

Tomete wrote:Whoa. Hold on. You've only been drawing for about a year? I suddenly feel a wave of inferiority coming on. Sigh.

Reigan wrote:
Spoiler! :

I really do love this piece. From the scar, to the dress, to the background. (Sometimes less is more) It all just gives off this whole occult/otherworldly state. I really don't have much of a critique to give this piece other than my inner freak demanding more shading. But that's just him. Er, me.

Fabulous work, as always. Every time you post, it's like there's another twist. I like that about your art. (Although don't feel pressured into drawing something completely different each time. It's better if you just keep doing what you're doing. I'll probably end up liking it anyways)

Don't be, it's only due to the fact that I have no life and haven't gone outside unless necessary since before summer holidays started (not counting the fact that I went to the park last night to take pictures). Seriously, it's not worth the sacrifice, it's just that either way, I'd be inside all day, so it's okay -.-.

Well I'm still trying to figure out shading D< *inserts thousands of excuses here*

Really? Thank you! I hope you keep enjoying my messy work in the future! No, really, I'd be so sad if you stopped commenting ;3; I haven't really heard anything really informative about my art before (Look! You've got me started calling my sketches "art" now!)though don't feel pressure or anything! The last thing I want is for you to feel guilty or something for not saying something after I've posted! D:
Reigan

Postby Reigan » December 14th, 2010, 7:40 pm

The only thing I have to say to this:
What. The. Fuck.
I honestly don't know what I was thinking. It's really messy, and you can clearly tell it's been stitched together. BUT I DON'T CARE D< I only drew it because I was extremely bored. But I really had fun with the expressions though xD The second panel will never be removed from my head...

Yes, that is supposed to be me.
Reigan

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Showcase