red's art thread

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Current distractions

Postby redandblack64 » June 9th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Finally caught up.
Tried something different with the landscape. Tried using Sai to do this one. Still haven't gotten the hang of it yet.
Cell shaded Colors 3D pic that took far too long to finish.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » June 15th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I got jack shit done due to a crippling addiction to Skyrim.
Spoiler! :

An EXPERIMENT I did in Sai, EXPERIMENTING with the way light and shadow will be handled in the comic I'm working on. Creative thinking, experimentation, no? The entire point of looking through those resources is to pick up on parts that I like and make use of it in my own process and style. That would explain how I started developing my own style, so I don't quite understand where anyone would get the idea that I didn't know something so obvious.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » June 22nd, 2013, 1:20 pm

Summer break's kinda over for me, though I do have four days off a week instead of the weekends until the next semester hits, so I've got more time to actually make some art without being stressed out or wanting to bash someone's head in. How else would I have actually did what I'm about to post?

Spoiler! :

A landscape done from one of my own photos and a place I actually visited (the last color I posted is too), which was out in the desert between Santa Fe and Taos, New Mexico. The biome change (pine forest/mountain to semi arid desert) right on the border between Colorado and New Mexico is almost as insane as Minecraft's ridiculous biome borders.
Took only 30 minutes to do this one, which may be a combined result of having a solid grasp on the pencil technique I've been using for nearly a year now and making use of first hand experience and memory. Hmm, it may be time to try something new and more challenging, such as these charcoal sticks and pencils that have been sitting here for nearly six months.

And here's some progress on that comic that has been having me rage at the very thought of it, until recently. One shot, and that's IT. I'm done, and any mistakes that I make are going to be addressed with the following comic pages/project (and these are practice comics, with the whole point of them being to get better at comics by actually making and finishing some damn comics). From the start, I just wanted to get this exercise of a 20 page comic done and over with, and if that means royally screwing everything up, then so be it. I'll take "the learn as I go" approach.

Anyway, here's my best shot at re-redoing the first page after dissecting some comic pages of various comics. It's in the pencil stage. Since the later pages are still in the thumbnail stage, I'll iron out any problems that I spot as I go. In some cases, redo the entire page. Only once, then never again, though.

And this might be hand lettered in Sai or Photoshop in lower and uppercase.
Model sheet for the lead character. Almost finished. Will proceed to start filling in pages and pages of him and the others to figure them out in terms of the visual persona and getting a consistent look within the comic.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » June 29th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Don't have anything to post, since I'm doing some of what I just showed at a snail's pace. I did try my hand at animation (Pencil animation, freeware that works well with tablets), but I can't seem to upload it as a swf file, and converting to gif is proving to be a pain.

More obligatory studies, which are becoming increasingly more useful as I get back into doing comics and play around with 2D animation for the first time.
Spoiler! :

redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » July 7th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Got more done than I thought I did.
Spoiler! :

Not done, since I spent 2 hours on it, hated the way it was turning out, and restarted it at my own pace instead of using a timer, since I'm still trying to get used to painting in Sai.
Black spotting progress. Trying to use them in as clear a way as possible, so as to aid in guiding the eye across the page.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » July 13th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Nothing here aside from the studies. The Colors addiction has been replaced by the Pencil animation addiction, but I've yet to figure out a way to upload .swf files. Been hooked on the out of print Illusion of Life, as you can see.
Spoiler! :

Another quick landscape in Sai. As a challenge and a way to save time, I'm trying to refrain from relying on the smoothing tools for the pen.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » July 20th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Another week of trying to figure out how to handle the inks and black spots on this comic. That's mainly where my mind was, along with doing a painting that I'm close to finishing in Colors.
Spoiler! :

Finally, a full charcoal landscape! It really does make you think very carefully about your mark making, yet seems to make you go wild. I wasn't expecting to finish this in merely 20 minutes.
Still playing around here at my own pace. After I start getting a good idea of where to go with the inks, I'll start going at these at a quicker, more consistent rate.
redandblack64

Postby eishiya » July 20th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Think more in terms of creating larger shapes of light and dark, not necessarily shadows and lit areas. Your current page is overly technical. You're filling all the shadows with black, and don't seem to be considering the noise you're creating by having a lot of little shadows. You're losing forms and focus in the detail! You've got the right idea with the background in the first panel with the strong, dark shapes that lead the eye, but it's still too technical and shadow-focused and your your characters are lost in the noise.

Shadow isn't the only thing that makes something dark, the object's natural colour does too, and you should use that. Design your characters in locations in such a way that they give you stronger compositions.

Spot blacks don't have to follow light and shadow, although it does help when your work doesn't completely disregard light physics. Check out these two pages: one, two. Look at the blacks and the whites. Not all the blacks are shadows, many of them are in areas that should be lit, and there are many white areas that would realistically have shadows, particularly on characters. These are deliberate choices by the artist. Try to think about why the artist made these choices. Some things to consider when analysing these examples:
- what matters more - form or shape (silhouette)?
- does the detail create a focal point, or non-distracting noise?
- How quickly does the eye move over detailed areas versus those that are completely white or black?
- Does the eye follow through the middles of the general shapes, or along their edges?
- Why are some areas detailed, while others are left almost empty?
- Why does one page have detailed scenery, while the other focuses more on general shapes rather than details?

The answers to these questions aren't universal, they depend on the purpose of each individual panel, and even individual parts of that panel.
eishiya

Postby redandblack64 » July 22nd, 2013, 4:48 pm

Colors pic I did. This is what struck me most about going down to New Mexico from Colorado; the biome change was anything but subtle. This is only a slight exaggeration, and another imaginative piece.

redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » July 27th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Not much this time, since I'm still dissecting the black spotting of the two pages eishiya posted above and a bunch of Akira pages.
Spoiler! :

Another alley way, as can be seen in the comic page I'm in the middle of.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » August 3rd, 2013, 1:24 pm

Decided to not post the page in progress just yet. No until it's lines are inked in.
Spoiler! :

This is the result of a self made challenge for myself when it comes to using any digital painting program outside of the limited ones like Colors. I'll call it the One Brush Challenge. Not only am I going to stick with one brush of choice (can still change the opacity and size, but not the actual brush), but I REFRAINED from using ctrl + z. Doing that shaved off 90 minutes of time compared to the last one I did in Sai.
At first, I hated it. Now I love the way this turned out.
redandblack64

Re: Comic related practice

Postby redandblack64 » August 10th, 2013, 11:45 am

This time, there's something besides these.
Spoiler! :

Did the bulk of this one listening to Kodomo. Listening to music that fits the subject I'm drawing in terms of atmosphere seems to be helping. Followed the "no ctrl+z" rule here, too.
Finished the inking of the page I've been struggling with since April. we went from this...
...to this from April.
In spite of the frustration, I'd say it was worth seriously reworking this page after dissecting and trying to understand why other comic pages are created in a certain way. Just a few tweaks and this page is finished, whether it could be any better or not, since I'm not falling into the trap of constantly redoing pages unless I completely screw it up on a fundamental level. Now onto that other wretched problem; lettering.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » August 17th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Since I'm close to finishing off the next page, I'll hold off until it's done. Will probably upload it later today or tomorrow.

Spoiler! :

Charcoal landscape that took 20 minutes, since it's incredibly permanent and forces you to be very decisive and thoughtful about your mark making. I'm going to try doing the life drawing studies in charcoal over the next week.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » August 18th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Finished inking it in a week, mainly due to having figured out a process of making pages with the previous page. I will keep trying to avoid hitting undo when doing these. A panel in Vinland Saga gave me the idea of the bottom panel's black spots.
There's a little clean up and tweaking that needs to be done in the last panel, but I lost patience and had to upload this. After the next page (the cover, which only needs to be inked) is done and the lettering and logo have been tackled here, I will start posting the rest of the comic as a comic on the site.
redandblack64

Postby redandblack64 » August 25th, 2013, 5:10 pm

That Illusion of Life book gave me some ideas to help mix these studies up. It would have to do with trying out some character animation techniques while doing the gesture drawings and studies.
Spoiler! :

Last page I'll upload in this thread, since after that, the lettering and comic banner will be tackled here, then I'll upload the rest as a comic on the main site.
redandblack64

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Showcase