Rivana's Art Corner

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Rivana's Art Corner

Postby Rivana » April 13th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Hi all! Still working on the first page of my comic and building my website but thought I'd share a few of the artworks I've done over the last year and half. Constructive critiques are welcome and appreciated as well.

A bit about me:

My DA Page: http://roguemina.deviantart.com

I've always liked drawing and had a ton of sketches when I was a kid. Though I never really seriously tried to improve and learn until 2010. No, I just did not suddenly hit myself in the head and had a change of mind :P Actually, me and a few friends had this story going on for the last six years in an Role Play format in some online game. 2010, I decided I really want to make it to a comic. So now I am here.

I didn't delve into comic right away..heck, I barely started just now >_<. I did mostly concept work and study the basics for the last year or so. Guess I'll let the images in the spoil tags just summarize everything lol
Spoiler! :

And my main influences:
Spoiler! :
[spoil]
[/spoil]

My last few paintings. These are some of the characters for my upcoming comic:
Spoiler! :

A painting for a friend:

She would be part of the comic but not for a looong time

This is my latest actually, first attempt at a comic panel:

And some random, older fanarts:
Spoiler! :
Bayonetta fanart, just cause lol:

Rogue, my fave comicbook character:
Last edited by Rivana on February 7th, 2012, 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rivana

Re: Rivana's Art Corner

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2011, 3:31 am

Wow...your paintings are so amazing! The panel is really nice, too. That dragon is friggin' awesome.

Rivana wrote:
Spoiler! :

Also, love the Rouge. :D
Sorry I don't have anything critique-wise to say... ^^;;;

Postby Rivana » April 15th, 2011, 9:18 am

Thanks Mossy!

Oh and random quick sketch I did a couple of weeks ago of one of my characters when I was trying out my Cintiq :D:
Rivana

Postby MemaiShirosaki » April 15th, 2011, 10:42 am

Ugh, a Cintiq? Jelly forever ;; I've been wanting one ever since I've heard about them (because I totes want to watch my derp shows while being an epic amazing artist drawing away on a Cintiq <3)

Anyway, your art is nomlicious <3 I love how you're using a more realistic style, I think it fits your fantasy comic quite nicely ♥ Also, I know that the last bit was a quick sketch, I there's just something about it that I love. I'm not sure what though >w< Just a small crit: You should try smoothing out your brushstrokes a little bit more? Right now in some of your paintings they feel very rushed and blocky. But I think that's an improvement that will definitely happen over time <3 Gorgeous art nevertheless.
MemaiShirosaki

Postby Rivana » April 15th, 2011, 11:55 am

Ugh, a Cintiq? Jelly forever ;; I've been wanting one ever since I've heard about them (because I totes want to watch my derp shows while being an epic amazing artist drawing away on a Cintiq <3)

Cintiqs are great! I got the smallest model but it's just big enough for me. I do need a bigger table space though. Wasn't going to get it but I helped out my hubby with his big project and that was his promise XD

Anyway, your art is nomlicious <3 I love how you're using a more realistic style, I think it fits your fantasy comic quite nicely ♥

Also, I know that the last bit was a quick sketch, I there's just something about it that I love. I'm not sure what though >w<

Thanks! <3

Just a small crit: You should try smoothing out your brushstrokes a little bit more? Right now in some of your paintings they feel very rushed and blocky. But I think that's an improvement that will definitely happen over time <3 Gorgeous art nevertheless.

Thanks for the critic! Would you mind telling me which paintings you were referring to? I had to ask because some of those were actually rushed and some are older ^^

Here's a couple of FF fanart sketches I have as well. My sketches tend to veer more towards anime style:

Older ones:
Rivana

Postby KLSeunnapha » April 15th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Very nice work =) I like it. Can't wait to see more from you.

And cintiq's are great, I absolutely love mine. Took a really long time to save up for it but one of the best investments I ever made. I hated doing colouring and drawing on the computer before getting one.
KLSeunnapha

Postby MemaiShirosaki » April 15th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Ah, sorry, I should've mentioned which one :p Silly me! I was referring to the Rogue fanart; her hair especially feels a bit stringy? Some of the shading on her torso could be smoothed out as well :3 But like I said, definitely an improvement that would happen over time <3
MemaiShirosaki

Postby Rivana » April 15th, 2011, 1:22 pm

@KL - Thanks! I kinda got used to my bamboo tablet eventually but still, using Cintiq is sooo much better ^^

@Memai - No worries lol. Yeah the Rogue fanart was September 2010 I believe. \

The below three (which I already linked above) were my latest/best effort ones. Done in Feb to Mar of 2011

Spoiler! :
Rivana

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Rivana wrote:
Spoiler! :

Rivana wrote:
Spoiler! :

These are awesome and you should feel awesome. I really like your coloring!

Postby ApaFox » April 15th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Rivana wrote:Older ones:

I could have gone through my whole life without looking at these. Now I'm glad I came here.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby KLSeunnapha » April 15th, 2011, 6:29 pm

The middle one of the last three you posted is my fav
KLSeunnapha

Postby blankd » April 15th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Spoiler! :

Overall the coloring is nice however her hair seems to be textured a bit "stringy" near the end tips and her boots seem slightly gelatinous. The painter effect is hard to go for, but if the order of the pictures are chronological, you seem to have "fixed" some of the rendering (such as on the metal in the next one).
Spoiler! :

Very nice, and a good sense of motion. The background is pleasing to look at in terms of coloring, however on "our" right of the image, I can't quite tell what is burning (crosses?). This fellow's leg on "our left" seems to be much bigger despite being farther in the distance.
Spoiler! :

The trees are colored in such a way that the "branches" blend together. (Check around the mouth.) The bone on the top of the staff/stave/wand has nice detail but following the "loops" doesn't make sense (it doesn't seem to connect to anything).

Really I'm being a little nitpicky, you're already off to a good start, so don't take my crits too harshly. :) (Looking forward to more~)
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby Vitotamito » April 15th, 2011, 7:44 pm

I liked your pics from 2009!
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby Rivana » April 18th, 2011, 7:51 am

*hugs* Thanks you all.

Blankd - no worries. I appreciate it. I do see those stuff that you pointed out. My main weaknesses right now are:

1.) Anatomy (and will be for a looong time I reckon >_<)
2.) Texturing (As you pointed out with the leather boots)
3.) Backgrounds (I just hate them but I gotta learn them. And I think it shows at how unpolished they look)

I am working on the cover for my chapter 1. Forgot to save a preview version. Maybe tonight I'll have something up...6 character picture is pretty challenging >_<
Rivana

Postby Rivana » April 20th, 2011, 10:30 am

*deleted previous post cos of the following update* (if this is against the rules, I apologize and won't do it again/remove this post)

Update:

I liked how the girl looks so far and I think the guy at the front could use a little tweaking later on...Tonight I'll be working on the guy with the staff. I'd like to finish a rough render of all the characters first so I can tweak the entire composition.

And this will be colored. I like painting in Grayscale first :D
Rivana

Next

Return to Creative Showcase