Let's all get together and make an anime!

Looking to team up on a creative project? Find other creators here.

Re: Let's all get together and make an anime!

Postby Shoprocks » March 29th, 2012, 3:51 pm

avian-reader wrote:Also, have you considered putting up an request for voice talent on the VAC site? Some pretty big names like Rina and Tomamoto hang out there. I can't see us getting them, but then you never know, they seem to turn up everywhere.

Ooh, looks promising. Once we get a definitive character list and some lines to use for the auditions, I'll make a thread there.
LunarDusk wrote:Most of our characters have major personality defects

Pwii wrote:I don't think I'd ever get plastic surgery, but I'm not ugly, so.
Shoprocks

Postby UrbanMysticDee » March 30th, 2012, 12:56 am

I've been watching war in Lebanon and there's one unfortunate aspect of desert warfare that I noticed: there is so much dust in the air you can't see anything. This is one area I think we should sacrifice accuracy for making a better story. If there's too much dust the audience won't see what's happening and they may not like it.
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby Shoprocks » March 30th, 2012, 5:38 am

UrbanMysticDee wrote:I've been watching war in Lebanon and there's one unfortunate aspect of desert warfare that I noticed: there is so much dust in the air you can't see anything. This is one area I think we should sacrifice accuracy for making a better story. If there's too much dust the audience won't see what's happening and they may not like it.

The animators would like it. Lol.

Shoprocks

Postby Asj » March 30th, 2012, 9:32 am

I think it's one of those things where dust can be implied, kind'a. Like, show dust every so often, for little things, like dust trails behind vehicles, but not include it during a bunch of action.
Asj

Postby Shoprocks » March 30th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Is this forum better for our purposes?

[retracted]

I can make the serious writers into moderators, who will be able to edit a post we're calling the "current draft" or whatever. It also has polls and chat, although I'm yet to see if the chat actually works.

Members must be approved, but I'll check my email often.
Last edited by Shoprocks on October 18th, 2012, 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shoprocks

Postby UrbanMysticDee » March 31st, 2012, 4:26 am

Something's wrong with my computer. Don't know what. I'll probably still be thinking about the story between trying to fix and or replace the computer, but I'll probably be sporadic about it.
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby avian-reader » March 31st, 2012, 5:50 am

UrbanMysticDee wrote:
Spoiler! :
avian-reader wrote:Sure thing, I think I've got a couple of ideas already.

For the country, seeing as this is an anime, why not set it in Japan? This probably sounds silly (and probably is...), but please let me explain my train of thought:

Due in part to escalating violence in the Middle East, particularly involving Pakistan, India forms a close alliance with China, putting the US on edge, especially as the Indo-China Alliance keeps a tight grip on the export of natural mineral resources.

Soon after this, the Japanese Communist Party comes to power, having gained support due to the global financial crisis. It immediately begins motions to terminate the Japan-US military alliance and distance US relations.

Despite the JCP's anti-militarism, defense of Article 9, and desire for independent foreign policy, the US government is suspicious of the party and suspects it of planning to join the Indo-China Alliance (not 100% sure why this is a problem for them).

The government sets up some atrocities to "prove" that the JCP is abusing it's power and must be swiftly dealt with. They soon after dispact troops to capture leading party and Diet members, before the Alliance can make moves to defend them.

Also, have you considered putting up an request for voice talent on the VAC site? Some pretty big names like Rina and Tomamoto hang out there. I can't see us getting them, but then you never know, they seem to turn up everywhere.

I wasn't really liking the idea at first, as it would involve some explaining of the opening scene, why they're driving around in the desert if they're going to invade Japan. I went away and did some more thinking and don't like it even more.

While the idea of the US going to war with Japan seems like an interesting idea for a war game, it's already a way more involved idea than even what I was thinking of.

There are large areas of disputed borders between India and China, armed and manned at all times. China is close with Pakistan, India's top enemy. With how close the two countries are I don't see India and China forming an alliance strong enough to worry the US or Japan. There are also large areas of India that are dealing with Maoist guerillas, resulting in Darjeeling transforming from the honeymoon capital of the world to a terrorist nest, among other things.

Japan and China are also historic enemies. There is much animosity to this day between Japanese and Chinese. As much as I doubt India and China would form an alliance, I doubt Japan and China forming an alliance even more, or even strong enough suspicion that they would to justify military action against Japan.

Fair enough, lol. Back to the drawing board. Hope your computer gets sorted soon btw.

Shoprocks wrote:Is this forum better for our purposes?

http://smackjanime.proboards.com/index.cgi

I can make the serious writers into admins, who will be able to edit a post we're calling the "current draft" or whatever. It also has polls and chat, although I'm yet to see if the chat actually works.

Members must be approved, but I'll check my email often.

Looks great, just waiting for approval now :)
2014 Resolution: Work hard and do well with my job, OU studies, and BSL Level 2
avian-reader

Postby Hunterkirizaki » March 31st, 2012, 10:59 am

I registered for an account as "triscy". I'm interested in watching the project and giving feedback on my end, but seeing as my skills are primarily story writing and, possibly, voicing insane/joke characters, I don't have much to offer. Plus I'm working on a video game project.

Regardless, Hi!
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Postby Shoprocks » March 31st, 2012, 4:43 pm

Sorry, everyone. I guess I don't get email notifications when there are pending members >_> But now I know where to look.

Also, welcome Hunterkirizaki, we'll be glad to have you around.

Shoprocks

Postby UrbanMysticDee » April 1st, 2012, 8:53 am

Last night, after taking my computer apart and resigning myself to buying a new one, I went out and outlined the first three scenes and the trailer in the park. I figure we could do the trailer first, to give everyone practice, and to build an audience.

Characters so far
*General Hice/Hyce - white hair, going bald, always wears a cap. Was a real tough fighter in his day, he didn't start as a desk jockey. Tells it like it is with few words.
*Scarsdale - Delta Operator
*Bayone - Delta Operator
*Brooklyn - Delta Operator
*Bean - Delta Operator
*Pony - Delta Operator/Leader
*Marcus Illa - anti-communist guerilla warlord who is target of US mission
*Saham - joins Illa's army after his family is blown up in air strike
*Unnamed Radio Host - warns people about the real reason for going to war has nothing to do with Illa
*Unnamed Trendy - appears in Internet video to drum up popular support of US war against Illa.

Scene index with rough time
Joy Ride (5 min) - what we've been working on so far
Back at Base - someone tells Pony the General wants to see him (2 min)
General's Office (5 min)

This should be between 12-15 minutes, introduce the problem, introduce at least indirectly at least 8/9 characters, and it shouldn't be too impossible even though it includes some pretty cool stuff.

Trailer
Bold words are text that appears on screen. The trailer should be about 1:30. I can't make a prototype version for a while so I don't know how exactly it should fit together, but here is a pretty good outline. The trailer is meant to be a little misleading because we don't want to give everything away, which is why scenes are put out of order and out of context. I was thinking somewhere, either toward the beginning or the end, there could be music. The first 50 seconds or so of Rooster doesn't have any lyrics. We can put it in right after the first bold text and have it run in the background and then we can do a fade out at the end or something to stretch it out to the full trailer time. Or someone can chop parts from out of the song and arrange them however sounds best.

*Helicopter flying toward city
A war no one understood
*"Trendy" (blond guy with wispy beard dressed in pastels) looking at camera "He is the worst of the worst" > Red and black high contrast images pop one next to the other "Adolf Hitler, Bin Laden, and Marcus Illa."> People in desert looking poor> Back to Trendy "we can get him."
*Fat radio guy at mic, real angry, red face, shaking his open hands around mike "This is so (beat) EVIL!!!"
A country on fire
*Pony in driver's seat turning the wheel hard in slow motion with dust throwing up all around (from opening scene)
*Bradley coming around corner of city street
Where the only way out is farther in
*Guy on top of different Humvee with M240 shouting indistinctly
*RPG flying through the air
And the world comes apart around them
*Helicopter spinning, going down
*Humvee explodes - flips in air (in reverse, so animate it forward and then play it in reverse so it looks odd and disturbing)
Everything can change (don't really like this line but I couldn't think of anything better)
*Someone (doesn't matter who because trailers always lie) looking up in pain, shirt torn, in a chair with arms tied behind back in a dank room
In A Heartbeat
*Debris falling (from General's office scene)

Story background
D-Boys Pony, Bean, Scarsdale, Bayone, and Brooklyn are driving around the desert in a beat up US Army surplus Jeep that should have been trashed a decade ago, if not more. You'd never guess that they were the toughest bunch of SOBs you ever saw, and that's how they like it. Each of their names are special, the place of some significant event from tehir pasts, except Brooklyn - he was just from Brooklyn. He was the newest and they always gave him shit when they weren't on assignments. Their leader - the ranking officer, though they pay no mind to rank - was Stone Pony, after the club, but they always just shortened it to Pony and would have a good laugh about it. He never went anywhere without his signature mirrored aviator shades that matched his hair, which had just enough grey to make him look distinguished and worldly like George Cloony only tough. He was their driver, taking them on a tour of this rat trap country they had been stuck in for the past 6 weeks doing nothing. Then there was Bean. He liked to watch old cowboy movies and make fun of the way the characters acted and was generally the joker of the group. He could also speak 9 languages - a handy skill when you find yourself in the asshole of the world.
Wisteria (we can change it) was the kind of place you avoided if you could. 15 years of civil war following the fall of the communist regime set up during the Cold WAr and 2 million dead Wisterians later and you got yourself a real hot bed of anarchy if ever there was one.
They'd been doing nothing 'cept killing rats and getting on their helicopters, flying over the only city worth mentioning (Laria), and coming back to base. 6 weeks of boredom, 6 weeks without action, 6 weeks without women. Sure, there were women at the base, support staff and such, but they were strictly off limits and it just frustrated the hell out of everyone. Delta are the best of the best. They want to fight, that's what they signed up for. Army keeps them chained up like a dangerous dog, which is what they are, and rarely lets them out to have fun. Here they thought they were finally gonna' go on a real mission when politics got in the way and the Pentagon keeps dancing around the issue.
Marcus Illa was a Western trained and educated guerilla mastermind who had staged successful attacks on the old communist government with CIA approval in the old days. He was a brutal, bloodthirsty psychopath but he got the Reds running scared with 150 days of terror in the 80s that likely did more harm than good. Ever since the old government collapsed and a new regime took power the CIA dropped Illa like a stone and he's held a grudge ever since. The current President Amer Balam decided to entertain the idea of Chinese control over vital resources Illa has gotten back to his old tricks, for, as much as he hates the US he hates communists even more. America double crossed him, but communists wanted to destroy his peoples' way of life.
Illa leades an army som say is 30,000 strong called the Wisterian People's Front, the "IPW" ( we don't need to know how their language works, just make some stuff up). His chief rival is top general and strongman Desmond Rull. The US wants to put Rull in power to snub the Chinese but can't do it without getting rid of Illa first.

Scene in General's office
office is very spartan - a desk, lots of maps, and not a lot of light. the walls are green.
Pony comes in after his joy ride.

Pony (P): What's the deal this time?
General (G): CNN, you seen it? (it doesn't have to be CNN)
P: (laughs) Do I look like I watch CNN?
G: One of those journalists found some goddamn balls to do some real reporting.
P: Yeah? (Standing with arms folded, not really paying attention)
G: Someone dropped JDAM on an apartment block the IPW was using to house munitions. There were also noncoms (non-combatants, yes I know, some military use noncom to mean non-commissioned officer and others use NCO) there:
While the general is saying this we cut to a small bedroom. A mother is holding a baby. Her older son is around. Really poor quality, colours washed out like 1990s TV news footage. In slow motion the room explodes. Sound is very low, muffled. The General talks real matter of fact over scene of room filling with debris and smoke. People inside are thrown up, startled. There is no time to be scared. The room fills with the fireball of the explosion and speeds up to normal speed
120 dead, 1600 wounded.
Smoke starts to clear. Mostly debris and blood droplets and body parts raining down normal speed or maybe slowed a little. Then we cut to the General talking in his office with Pony.
Now the press is chewing my ass out.
P: Fuck the press.
G: We need something better, softer.
P: Is that so?
G: We need this guy Illa dead. Are your boys up to it?
P: No jerking us around this time?
G: This is the real deal. (Looks at him real intensely)
P: (nods) Alright.
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby avian-reader » April 2nd, 2012, 1:43 am

UrbanMysticDee wrote:
Spoiler! :
Last night, after taking my computer apart and resigning myself to buying a new one, I went out and outlined the first three scenes and the trailer in the park. I figure we could do the trailer first, to give everyone practice, and to build an audience.

Characters so far
*General Hice/Hyce - white hair, going bald, always wears a cap. Was a real tough fighter in his day, he didn't start as a desk jockey. Tells it like it is with few words.
*Scarsdale - Delta Operator
*Bayone - Delta Operator
*Brooklyn - Delta Operator
*Bean - Delta Operator
*Pony - Delta Operator/Leader
*Marcus Illa - anti-communist guerilla warlord who is target of US mission
*Saham - joins Illa's army after his family is blown up in air strike
*Unnamed Radio Host - warns people about the real reason for going to war has nothing to do with Illa
*Unnamed Trendy - appears in Internet video to drum up popular support of US war against Illa.

Scene index with rough time
Joy Ride (5 min) - what we've been working on so far
Back at Base - someone tells Pony the General wants to see him (2 min)
General's Office (5 min)

This should be between 12-15 minutes, introduce the problem, introduce at least indirectly at least 8/9 characters, and it shouldn't be too impossible even though it includes some pretty cool stuff.

Trailer
Bold words are text that appears on screen. The trailer should be about 1:30. I can't make a prototype version for a while so I don't know how exactly it should fit together, but here is a pretty good outline. The trailer is meant to be a little misleading because we don't want to give everything away, which is why scenes are put out of order and out of context. I was thinking somewhere, either toward the beginning or the end, there could be music. The first 50 seconds or so of Rooster doesn't have any lyrics. We can put it in right after the first bold text and have it run in the background and then we can do a fade out at the end or something to stretch it out to the full trailer time. Or someone can chop parts from out of the song and arrange them however sounds best.

*Helicopter flying toward city
A war no one understood
*"Trendy" (blond guy with wispy beard dressed in pastels) looking at camera "He is the worst of the worst" > Red and black high contrast images pop one next to the other "Adolf Hitler, Bin Laden, and Marcus Illa."> People in desert looking poor> Back to Trendy "we can get him."
*Fat radio guy at mic, real angry, red face, shaking his open hands around mike "This is so (beat) EVIL!!!"
A country on fire
*Pony in driver's seat turning the wheel hard in slow motion with dust throwing up all around (from opening scene)
*Bradley coming around corner of city street
Where the only way out is farther in
*Guy on top of different Humvee with M240 shouting indistinctly
*RPG flying through the air
And the world comes apart around them
*Helicopter spinning, going down
*Humvee explodes - flips in air (in reverse, so animate it forward and then play it in reverse so it looks odd and disturbing)
Everything can change (don't really like this line but I couldn't think of anything better)
*Someone (doesn't matter who because trailers always lie) looking up in pain, shirt torn, in a chair with arms tied behind back in a dank room
In A Heartbeat
*Debris falling (from General's office scene)

Story background
D-Boys Pony, Bean, Scarsdale, Bayone, and Brooklyn are driving around the desert in a beat up US Army surplus Jeep that should have been trashed a decade ago, if not more. You'd never guess that they were the toughest bunch of SOBs you ever saw, and that's how they like it. Each of their names are special, the place of some significant event from tehir pasts, except Brooklyn - he was just from Brooklyn. He was the newest and they always gave him shit when they weren't on assignments. Their leader - the ranking officer, though they pay no mind to rank - was Stone Pony, after the club, but they always just shortened it to Pony and would have a good laugh about it. He never went anywhere without his signature mirrored aviator shades that matched his hair, which had just enough grey to make him look distinguished and worldly like George Cloony only tough. He was their driver, taking them on a tour of this rat trap country they had been stuck in for the past 6 weeks doing nothing. Then there was Bean. He liked to watch old cowboy movies and make fun of the way the characters acted and was generally the joker of the group. He could also speak 9 languages - a handy skill when you find yourself in the asshole of the world.
Wisteria (we can change it) was the kind of place you avoided if you could. 15 years of civil war following the fall of the communist regime set up during the Cold WAr and 2 million dead Wisterians later and you got yourself a real hot bed of anarchy if ever there was one.
They'd been doing nothing 'cept killing rats and getting on their helicopters, flying over the only city worth mentioning (Laria), and coming back to base. 6 weeks of boredom, 6 weeks without action, 6 weeks without women. Sure, there were women at the base, support staff and such, but they were strictly off limits and it just frustrated the hell out of everyone. Delta are the best of the best. They want to fight, that's what they signed up for. Army keeps them chained up like a dangerous dog, which is what they are, and rarely lets them out to have fun. Here they thought they were finally gonna' go on a real mission when politics got in the way and the Pentagon keeps dancing around the issue.
Marcus Illa was a Western trained and educated guerilla mastermind who had staged successful attacks on the old communist government with CIA approval in the old days. He was a brutal, bloodthirsty psychopath but he got the Reds running scared with 150 days of terror in the 80s that likely did more harm than good. Ever since the old government collapsed and a new regime took power the CIA dropped Illa like a stone and he's held a grudge ever since. The current President Amer Balam decided to entertain the idea of Chinese control over vital resources Illa has gotten back to his old tricks, for, as much as he hates the US he hates communists even more. America double crossed him, but communists wanted to destroy his peoples' way of life.
Illa leades an army som say is 30,000 strong called the Wisterian People's Front, the "IPW" ( we don't need to know how their language works, just make some stuff up). His chief rival is top general and strongman Desmond Rull. The US wants to put Rull in power to snub the Chinese but can't do it without getting rid of Illa first.

Scene in General's office
office is very spartan - a desk, lots of maps, and not a lot of light. the walls are green.
Pony comes in after his joy ride.

Pony (P): What's the deal this time?
General (G): CNN, you seen it? (it doesn't have to be CNN)
P: (laughs) Do I look like I watch CNN?
G: One of those journalists found some goddamn balls to do some real reporting.
P: Yeah? (Standing with arms folded, not really paying attention)
G: Someone dropped JDAM on an apartment block the IPW was using to house munitions. There were also noncoms (non-combatants, yes I know, some military use noncom to mean non-commissioned officer and others use NCO) there:
While the general is saying this we cut to a small bedroom. A mother is holding a baby. Her older son is around. Really poor quality, colours washed out like 1990s TV news footage. In slow motion the room explodes. Sound is very low, muffled. The General talks real matter of fact over scene of room filling with debris and smoke. People inside are thrown up, startled. There is no time to be scared. The room fills with the fireball of the explosion and speeds up to normal speed
120 dead, 1600 wounded.
Smoke starts to clear. Mostly debris and blood droplets and body parts raining down normal speed or maybe slowed a little. Then we cut to the General talking in his office with Pony.
Now the press is chewing my ass out.
P: Fuck the press.
G: We need something better, softer.
P: Is that so?
G: We need this guy Illa dead. Are your boys up to it?
P: No jerking us around this time?
G: This is the real deal. (Looks at him real intensely)
P: (nods) Alright.

Sorry you have to have to buy new, but I'm glad it's getting sorted anyway.

Those ideas look great, but I think we need to start posting them on the forum now
2014 Resolution: Work hard and do well with my job, OU studies, and BSL Level 2
avian-reader

Postby Shoprocks » April 4th, 2012, 11:20 am

Sorry for the absurd delays in approving accounts.

Shoprocks

Postby Interterrestrial » April 18th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I'm interested!
Interterrestrial

Postby UrbanMysticDee » April 18th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Interterrestrial wrote:I'm interested!

Just so you know, it's been completely dead for close to two weeks since I was fired.
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby EromCX » April 19th, 2012, 6:21 am

Forgive me for my negativity but an anime project is not a realistic project for amateurs.
I do think the goal should be much smaller like 1 minute of animation, that way you can learn with the mistakes and do better next time.

Anyways, are there any frames moving already? :)
EromCX

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Collaboration