Average graphic novel page size dimensions?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Average graphic novel page size dimensions?

Postby Crystalbear » August 12th, 2010, 1:14 am

I'm planning ahead with a couple of things of an upcoming comic, and for the sake of trying my darn hardest to make things look good, I'm going to ask this.

What is typically the average size dimension of graphic novel/manga pages? I imagine that they would be a bit big to use on Smackjeeves, especially since I would like to do 'double pages' (which is basically two pages side-by-side, instead of having to put up two pages one at a time), so I imagine it would require resizing before uploading. But for now, I'm just looking for average sizes if possible.

While I'm at it, when people resize images before inking, do they typically blow it up by 50 percent and decrease it back by 50 percent once finished? But it's the average size dimensions that I am more concerned about.

Thank you...
Crystalbear

Re: Average graphic novel page size dimensions?

Postby trenton_dawn » August 12th, 2010, 1:29 am

You mean on the screen? Most places I've seen, the images tend to be between 600-750 px width, 1000-1200 px height. Double pages are always a hard fit on a computer screen, especially on the lower resolutions, but it could probably make it work okay.

If you're working entirely digitally, I would recommend starting at a large size and shrinking as your final step (though I actually don't do this :x ). If you're scanning, you should already have more than sufficient resolution, assuming you use paper at least the size of a normal graphic novel's pages.
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
Cave wrote:GOD, trenton.... why u so awesome? :(
trenton_dawn

Postby paragoned » August 12th, 2010, 1:46 am

It's a ratio of 2:3, or something close to it.
Honestly, it varies. But by very little. So keep a 2:3 ratio and a fairly reasonable bleed margin, and you should be fine.

And really, it doesn't matter unless you're planning on publishing. In which case, you should consult whichever publisher/printer you're planning to go with. Usually it's A5 size, or close to it... 5.8 inches by x 8.3. Don't know about bleed though.
Typically (for manga anyway) they're drawn on A3 which is around 11 x 17, and reduced.
Image Image
paragoned

Postby eishiya » August 12th, 2010, 2:19 am

Crystalbear: Manga are typically in a ratio of 1:sqrt(2), the standard paper size ratio in Europe and Asia. Manga magazines are Japanese B5-size (182x257 mm), while the books are B6J (half that, 128x182 mm) or some similar size (they vary between publishers, though B6J is the closest there is to a standard size). American comic books are typically 17x26 cm.

Ratios are pretty flexible, look into the many standards rather than looking for just one. Some comics might even work best at a non-standard size. Instead of thinking in terms of screen size when doing your art, think in print sizes. If you are to print this comic, what options are available to you? Even if you don't want to print it, it might be nice to pick one of the standard sizes and work at print resolution just in case (300~600dpi). Then, just shrink down to your screen size.

As for screen size: Single pages should mostly fit on a typical screen. About 1000px in height is okay, as the scrolling will be minimal. Larger than 1000px is pushing it. Do not make your pages wider than the typical screen, so avoid pages wider than 1200px (most screens are between 1280 and 1900 wide these days, but not all of that room is available for you).
If your single pages are sized well, then a double-pager should also fit nicely. The heigh will be the same, and if the width is good, then there should be no problem with horizontal scrolling. (or the scrolling will be minimal). If you really want to be good to your users, then make your spread, then size it down so that the width is less than 1200px. The height will probably be less than you'd like, but if you've planned things out well and chose a legible font, the slightly smaller size will not be an issue.
Busy, busy.
eishiya

Postby Crystalbear » August 12th, 2010, 2:25 am

I'm not planning on publishing anything really, just creating comics and putting them up on Smackjeeves... :/

But yes, thank you all for the answers. And I'll try to keep in mind about the width.
Crystalbear

Postby JoKeRcologne » August 13th, 2010, 5:47 am

I made my comic Katran on Din-A-4 and resize it to Tankōbon format (my early publisher want the books in this size)... so my pages are Tankōbon but again resized to fit the smackjeeves guidelines.
JoKeRcologne

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques