MKs The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Blatantly advertise your comic here. One post/bump per month allowed.
Forum rules
Self-Promotion Rules

1) You may make ONE thread per comic. Not a new thread every month, not a new thread every bump, not a new thread for each author of the comic. ONE thread. That's it.

2) You may bump once a month. A "bump" is when you post in your own thread in order to send it to the top of the topic listings. The initial topic, updates, news, contests, and all other types of promotional information count as bumps. Also, if your comic has multiple authors, your thread is not entitled to multiple bumps (i.e. one from each author).

3) One conversational response per day. You may make one post per day in response to new comments left by visitors to your thread. Again, if your comic has multiple authors, your thread is not entitled to multiple thread responses (i.e. one from each author). If necessary, pick a single spokesperson for your Self-Promotion thread.

MKs The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Postby MK_Wizard » September 19th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Hello!

I am here to share my comic with SmackJeeves. I am still starting to build my site so it looks a bit plain now. However, I hope the comic itself makes up for it. It's a retelling of the classic tale except it is more lighthearted and more action/fantasy based with comedy. Plus, I wanted the mentality of opposites to be more up to date rather than strictly black and white. Come by and read!
MK_Wizard

Re: MKs The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Postby MK_Wizard » October 21st, 2017, 10:27 am

MK_Wizard

Postby MK_Wizard » November 7th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Attention! I now sell custom made digital cards on my Patreon
MK_Wizard

Postby MK_Wizard » January 6th, 2018, 9:53 am

Hey! If you're looking to give that special someone something special for Valentine's Day, I make personalised e-Cards! They can be Jekyll & Hyde style or other though I keep it classy. Nothing NSFW ;) I sell them on my Patreon!

https://www.patreon.com/mk_wizard
MK_Wizard

Postby MK_Wizard » January 29th, 2018, 10:00 am

Come and see the prices and details here!

- They apply to full body or bust in either case.
- I can do character or anything made up like a monster, a creature, a person, etc.
- I do public property only. In other words, stuff that by law belongs to everyone.
- No copyrighted characters unless you are the owner of that franchise or fancharacter, and even then, if it looks too copyrighted, no deal. I don't want trouble. Sorry.
- It is one commission a month though if you take the $10, it's one inked and one coloured. No more. No less.
- Nothing NSFW, no hate, no gore and no fetishism.
- The format is digital only in any type of your choosing. The default is PNG.
- If you want it to be certain dimensions, have specific colours and such other details, you must specify them please.

So, anyone interested or has any questions?
MK_Wizard

Postby eishiya » January 29th, 2018, 10:19 am

You'd already used up your January bump, so that last post was a few days too early xP Please follow the Self-Promotion rules!
If you just want to add some information, you could also edit your previous post instead of making a new one.
eishiya

Postby MK_Wizard » March 18th, 2018, 10:36 am

Hey, everyone! I have completed book 1 which has the whole origin story arc! It is in PDF format only for now (let's save the trees) and you can find here for sale if you want to see how the first arc plays out early, have the first three chapters remastered and concept art with notes you won't find anywhere else.

That and please let me know what you think of the new website layout. Is it clean and clear?
MK_Wizard

Postby eishiya » March 18th, 2018, 11:13 am

I like the banner, font choice, and overall style of it. The navigation arrows are adorable and effective. However, there's an overload of links at the top, which makes me not want to click on any of them, or even scroll down to read the comic and see the rest of the nice-looking layout ):

I recommend moving your various buttons and social media links to an about or a links page, or at least having them much smaller. Currently, they overwhelm the main menu, I had a hard time finding it because they're so distracting. If you want your social media links to be shown on every page, you could use icons instead of large text so that they don't take up so much space.

Why not use text instead of images for your main menu? The images only contain text anyway. You can achieve the same hover effect with text, you don't need images for that. Moreover, the text in the red hover images looks very aliased (pixelly/blocky). If you need help converting the menu to text, send me a PM and I'll help.

The text in the comments is a little hard to read, as slab-serif fonts at small sizes often are. I recommend bumping up the size a bit.

The rating flames don't look good on non-white backgrounds because of aliasing (I think those images were made before transparent PNG support was widespread). I recommend making custom images that work on your grey background. You should also avoid having space between the images, so that they don't flash grey/empty when the user is moving their cursor over them to select their rating. Alternatively, you could remove the rating stars entirely, as ratings only really make sense for strip comics, and not so much for long-form stories. Plus, it doesn't look like your site displays the page ratings anywhere anyway, so there doesn't seem to be any point in rating.

Your black background ends partway down the page on my browser. Instead of having your black background on body, put it on html, body, so that it definitely spans the entire page. So, instead of having inline CSS giving it a colour, use this override in your <style> tag instead:
Code: Select all
html, body {
background-color: black;
}

You may also want to give your #container a small margin-bottom, so that it doesn't but up against the bottom of the page. It looks strange when a container with a border does that.

Are reader comments meant to be below the author comments? It looks like you borrowed code from a layout that has them next to each other, but didn't override all the necessary CSS to make them work the way you meant.
If they're meant to be stacked atop one another:
.comments-container.vertical {
display: block;
margin-right: 0;
}

(You may also want to set a different max-width for #comic_comments_wrapper if you want them narrower.)

If they're meant to be two columns next to one another:
#comic_comments_wrapper {
max-width: none;
}

(Your current max-width is too narrow to contain both columns, so they end up stacked.)

This turned out to be a wall of negative feedback, but it's mostly just about your link overload and a few nitpicks that took up a lot of space. I think the bulk of your layout's great :D
If you want help implementing any this stuff or any of your own ideas, or want other feedback, please PM me so that we don't derail this thread any further than I already have.
eishiya

Postby MK_Wizard » April 23rd, 2018, 10:23 am

I updated my website again! Please critique it and also, don't forget. I am open for commissions and volume 1 in PDF format (with the first three acts remastered) is for sale on Storenvy.
MK_Wizard

Postby MK_Wizard » May 24th, 2018, 9:28 am

After updating my site and doing some cleanup, I have decided to host a contest in which the main prize is a FREE DIGITAL BOOK!!

The details are all here!

Message or email me at m-kap@hotmail.com if you have questions or wish to reserve a spot ;) Remember, your submission doesn't have to an obscure adaptation. It can be something common, but it has to be one that is not reserved yet. There are plenty of adaptations to go around though. I would love to see which one you pick.
MK_Wizard

Postby eishiya » May 24th, 2018, 10:23 am

Heey your layout's looking a lot tidier :D That film border effect with the borders and shadows is really clever!

Couple of nitpicks:
1. I recommend adding about 5 pixels of padding to your #navigation so that the text doesn't tangent with the borders. It's much more comfortable to read that way.
2. Similarly, it's best to have a little more distance between the bottom of the page container and the bottom of the window. The easiest way to do that would be to add padding-bottom to body, something like 6-8px would be good.
eishiya

Postby MK_Wizard » July 31st, 2018, 1:55 pm

Whew. After working very hard, I have cleaned up my site big time. It's not perfect, but at least the social media buttons and comic mirror buttons are up. Hope this all helps.
MK_Wizard

Postby MK_Wizard » November 3rd, 2018, 8:12 pm

Hi, everyone!

I have started my first ever Kickstarter and the goal is to raise enough to get the first few copies of volume 1 (the first arc) of my webcomic in print since it is all online. I do not expect the moon. I just hope for even the smallest support because it all counts and it is always appreciated. Please, help me make this happen.

The Kickstarter is right here!

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

-Mary

PS: I updated the layout of my site. What do you think?
MK_Wizard

Postby MK_Wizard » April 28th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Ok, I have done the ultimate face lift to my site. I removed all that ghastly gray. Is it better now?

See it here with it's cleaned up look.
MK_Wizard

Return to Self-Promotion