Swim Club - Ongoing School Action/Drama

Blatantly advertise your comic here. One post/bump per month allowed.
Forum rules
Self-Promotion Rules

1) You may make ONE thread per comic. Not a new thread every month, not a new thread every bump, not a new thread for each author of the comic. ONE thread. That's it.

2) You may bump once a month. A "bump" is when you post in your own thread in order to send it to the top of the topic listings. The initial topic, updates, news, contests, and all other types of promotional information count as bumps. Also, if your comic has multiple authors, your thread is not entitled to multiple bumps (i.e. one from each author).

3) One conversational response per day. You may make one post per day in response to new comments left by visitors to your thread. Again, if your comic has multiple authors, your thread is not entitled to multiple thread responses (i.e. one from each author). If necessary, pick a single spokesperson for your Self-Promotion thread.

Swim Club - Ongoing School Action/Drama

Postby OnlyMetaMutt » June 27th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Hey all,

I'm new to posting, but lurking for a while so hopefully I don't butcher this post.

Swim Club follows a group of misfits fighting to survive on a mountain inhabited by monsters, secret cults, and a deadly tech billionaire heiress.

Swim Club was launched on June 2nd, 2018. We released with the first six pages of the comic and have updated every Monday since launch. Currently we keep around a 1-2 month buffer so we don't leave anyone hanging. Once we expand that buffer we will be looking towards 2-3 updates every week.

You can follow us @swimclubcomic on Twitter and Instagram.

Thanks to the SJ board for being cool about promo posts that are not currently hosted on their site!

Start here! https://swimclubcomic.com/comic/2/
OnlyMetaMutt

Re: Swim Club - Ongoing School Action/Drama

Postby OnlyMetaMutt » September 21st, 2018, 7:47 pm

Now with more devilish heiress!
OnlyMetaMutt

Postby eishiya » September 21st, 2018, 8:12 pm

That's some impressive art! I'm not sure what's going on yet, but it looks like it'll be interesting!

A minor lettering nitpick: because the art is so dense in details, thin lines, and tones, the speech bubbles are sometimes easy to miss or to initially read as part of the scene, because overall it has the same density and average value as the art, especially in lighter panels. Making the bubble outlines a bit thicker should help them stand out much better from the artwork.
I'm really glad the text got bigger in the newer pages, it's so much easier to read :D

A couple of issues with the site:
The actual pages seem to have an distractingly long delay before they show up. It looks like downloading something from fonts.googleapis.com (presumably a font?) takes a while, makes binging the comic very unpleasant. I almost gave up twice D8
The archive looks a little messy, I'm guessing pages 10 and 20 aren't meant to be on their own rows? Reducing the letter spacing or getting rid of some of the non-breaking spaces would help. If you want to space out the links in the archive, you could use CSS instead of non-breaking spaces to make it more flexible. Ditto for the separate container for each row of links - you could use a single container and set a min-width on the page links to make them be 10 per row.
eishiya

Postby OnlyMetaMutt » September 29th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed info and for taking time to read Swim Club!

In regards to the loading times, were you on desktop or mobile? I'm not sure it matters but I just want to have all the details to look into this.

Archives are kinda butt right now, there's a planned overhaul once issue 1 finishes and we go to print.

Again, thanks a billion. Comments like this help so much in early stages. Love you lots <3
OnlyMetaMutt

Postby eishiya » September 29th, 2018, 6:52 pm

I'm on desktop. Looks like there's some delay waiting for a Wordpress domain as well (not sure that can be avoided - Wordpress is very bloated and isn't a great fit for webcomics as a result).

By the way, you'll probably get more clicks if the image in your post links to the comic rather than to the image host. You can use BBCode on the forums to create links, including image links:
Code: Select all
[url=YourWebcomicURL][img]imageURL[/img][/url]
eishiya

Return to Self-Promotion