your day in webcomics

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: your day in webcomics

Postby JoKeR » March 17th, 2017, 7:35 am

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:I recently cleaned up the fanart section of my site to make it less huge and cluttered, primarily by just getting rid of all the notes and stuff I had to say about each piece. Is that a dick move? I didn't think much of it when changing it, (I saved a back-up of the original page anyway,) but now I kind of feel like a jerk for getting rid of the commentary. Like it feels so systematic and apathetic now or something. I can't tell if it's just me being overly-sentimental or what.

It's just you being overly sentimental.

Yeah,It's just you being overly sedimental.

Oly-RRR wrote:Updated Cop Story! Gotta keep working so this sort of thing starts seeming like less of a big deal. BUT YEAH, I POSTED A PAGE!!! :mrgreen:

Image Yay!! Keep going!

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Oly-RRR » March 20th, 2017, 1:26 am

I am having SO MUCH TROUBLE with the design of this one character who appears towards the end of the chapter. Yes I know I am on page 5 but I like being used to drawing characters by the time they happen in the comic. And this guy... like I have an idea of him but every time I try to narrow it down he ends up too similar to other characters and that's wrong on multiple levels.

Though to be fair lately I only sit down to try doodling new characters after everything else is done so... haven't spent much time on that yet.
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby Bowserknight » March 20th, 2017, 4:40 pm

I started writing an outline of just like, the story events in chronological order.
This is probably kinda obvious, but, wow, this helps a whole lot
Bowserknight

Postby Seven Rain » March 20th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Bowserknight wrote:I started writing an outline of just like, the story events in chronological order.

Right on! It's something I always regretted not doing when I first started WOE.
Seven Rain

Postby JoKeR » March 20th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Seven Rain wrote:
Bowserknight wrote:I started writing an outline of just like, the story events in chronological order.

Right on! It's something I always regretted not doing when I first started WOE.

That's what I call key scenes or plot points. I write them down and then arrange them chronological. Sometimes I throw some key scenes out, If they don't fit or won't advance the story.

And yes, I made the same failure as Seven when I started my project (and sometimes I still do).
"Hey, I'm soooo good... I keep the whole story and all its twists and turns in my head. Hur hur hur." :roll:

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby Oly-RRR » March 21st, 2017, 12:21 am

Mostly did non-comic stuff today BUT out of the four pages I wanted to tweak one is done and two more are probably halfway... All this is kinda irrational BUT I'm doing it in that time when I usually doodle or play video games. Actually excited getting it all going more smoothly.

JoKeR wrote:"Hey, I'm soooo good... I keep the whole story and all its twists and turns in my head. Hur hur hur." :roll:

I'm like that with far-off parts of the story. If it doesn't need to work I might jot something down but generally it rolls around my head freely. Once it's the thing I'm about to draw I gotta have it all written down (usually in two places because I write the script and then I write the dialogue down next to thumbnails). I think it's good to know where you're going story-wise (and definitely have the script for the chapter you're about to draw) but at the same time most of people making webcomics are in their 20s or younger, it's a lot of pressure to plan out 300+ pages and never tweak anything. People change, views change, writing changes.

I guess it's good to write a lot and draw a lot and regularly but duh, Captain Obvious. :P
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby z3ir4m » March 22nd, 2017, 10:38 am

Working on a short story for a contest... theme is "the sound"... This is pretty interesting... and hard.
z3ir4m

Postby Seven Rain » March 28th, 2017, 6:57 am

Damn I really wrote myself into an unexpected corner with a scene I've been planning after this chapter, and I'm not sure the best way to handle it short of redoing part or all of the prologue.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » March 28th, 2017, 7:35 am

Seven Rain wrote:Damn I really wrote myself into an unexpected corner with a scene I've been planning after this chapter, and I'm not sure the best way to handle it short of redoing part or all of the prologue.

If you haven't drawn it yet, wouldn't it be easier to change the upcoming scene?
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » March 28th, 2017, 8:31 am

eishiya wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Damn I really wrote myself into an unexpected corner with a scene I've been planning after this chapter, and I'm not sure the best way to handle it short of redoing part or all of the prologue.

If you haven't drawn it yet, wouldn't it be easier to change the upcoming scene?

The problem is it's the reveal of a new character design, one that I've planned for years but also contradicts an old, old scene from the prologue. It probably won't be too hard to find a way to fix it, ("writing myself into a corner" was hyperbole, really,) I'm just shocked because I don't usually do that kind of stuff to myself these days. I do my best to avoid plotholes and inconsistencies like the plague.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » March 28th, 2017, 8:53 am

Seven Rain wrote:
eishiya wrote:

The problem is it's the reveal of a new character design, one that I've planned for years but also contradicts an old, old scene from the prologue. It probably won't be too hard to find a way to fix it, ("writing myself into a corner" was hyperbole, really,) I'm just shocked because I don't usually do that kind of stuff to myself these days. I do my best to avoid plotholes and inconsistencies like the plague.

I doubt anyone's going to remember the prologue anyway. And people's appearances change over time, so it's not a big problem for a character to look different. It's greta if characters are recognizable from earlier scenes, but unless it's a super-important plot point, I think it's fine if people won't recognize them - especially since, like I said, most of your readers won't remember the prologue by the time they get to that scene anyway. If it's a really huge change like if they were a dragon in the prologue and are a puppy now, then that could be an issue, but even then you could handwave away with something like "I miss my dragon form."
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » March 28th, 2017, 9:16 am

Yeah, it'd easy enough to write in an explanation if editing the older pages is too much trouble. I always appreciate getting others' perspective on things like this.

In fact I wish I had more comic-related discussion to push forth here in general. The forums are always so quiet, it'd be nice to spur some general webcomic discussion instead of just rambling about progress and stuff, but I'm not really good at kickstarting talk about anything that isn't games.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » March 28th, 2017, 9:24 am

Seven Rain wrote:Yeah, it'd easy enough to write in an explanation if editing the older pages is too much trouble. I always appreciate getting others' perspective on things like this.

In fact I wish I had more comic-related discussion to push forth here in general. The forums are always so quiet, it'd be nice to spur some general webcomic discussion instead of just rambling about progress and stuff, but I'm not really good at kickstarting talk about anything that isn't games.

The AT&T forum is very quiet, you could always post your doubts as threads there instead of posting in this thread, worded a bit more generally and using your specific issues as examples.
eishiya

Postby Seven Rain » March 28th, 2017, 9:30 am

eishiya wrote:The AT&T forum is very quiet, you could always post your doubts as threads there instead of posting in this thread, worded a bit more generally and using your specific issues as examples.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever have any larger issues I need help with! I should really check that section out more often even if I have nothing to post. There's probably plenty of interesting threads to read through.
Seven Rain

Postby eishiya » March 28th, 2017, 12:48 pm

sentiashinou wrote:snip

This looks like it should be a separate thread in AT&T, and it's off-topic here. Maybe you should make it one!

Edit: New thread made with sentiashinou's permission.
eishiya

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion