Community Involvement

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Gibson Twist » August 9th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Imi wrote:It's nice that a lot of people aren't seeing fancount as the main thing. I still find myself feeling a little sad when someone's defaved my comic, and this thread has helped me get over that *tear*. Gibson's mentioning of page hits rather than fancount, too, is brilliant. I never used to check it that often, but now I rely on it more than the fancount.

Well, for one, people defave my comics all the time. It's almost weekly. It gets a little 'aw' from me and then I remember that there is still X number of people who remain faithful. It's like a bunch of people watching a movie and the one guy at the back decides to leave, but everyone else says 'You're crazy, this rocks!' Think of it like that and it stings less.

About the page views and such, on Dan's and Ran's (hee hee) recommendations, I installed Google Analytics on my comic and there is just an overwhelming amount of information through that about who is visiting your site, how they linked to your site, where they live, how long they stayed, what pages they read, all kinds of fun stats. If your interested in getting more information about your audience, I recommend it.

Quickly on banner exchanges, I've heard a lot of mixed results about how well it works. The biggest complaint about it that I've heard is that sometimes you end up advertising comics you don't necessarily like or think deserve the exposure. For my end, the links on my site are ones to comics done by people whose work I respect, but also with whom I have at least a passing personal relationship, on or offline. These aren't exchanges so much as just advertising, but most of them were either advertising my site first or have since advertised it. I've actually been planning to expand it, but I'm so lazy... I guess my advice on banner exchanges is to limit it to people with whom you have a connection, either just as readers of each other's work or as respected contemporaries.

Remember, though, that as important as a functioning Smack Jeeves community is, we are also part of a greater webcomic community, and fostering that is important too. Extend your resources as far as you can.
Gibson Twist

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 10th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Imi wrote:I've just thought, I noticed a while ago, though not so much any more, that a few artists used to do banner exchanges, and have an 'affiliates' section on their links section. Could this be something we could look at doing? Maybe a way for people who have similar comics could make links and help promote each other. I find the genre section a little constricted as it stands, and the 'readers who read ___ also read ____' usually consists of yaoi REGARDLESS of genre, purely because a huge amount of active members fave every single yaoi comic with half decent art, so the fan lists are bound to overlap with those, like mine, who have much lower fan counts. For example, one of my comics is horror, and They Walk On The Ceiling, quite possibly the most popular horror comic on the site, rarely shows up on the 'similar comics' section, though that would make the most sense.

Is this still happening? I thought this was something Dan had changed so that similar comics made more sense, like the recommended ones on your favourites' page.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Imi » August 10th, 2009, 2:36 pm

SuperBiasedMan wrote:
Imi wrote:I've just thought, I noticed a while ago, though not so much any more, that a few artists used to do banner exchanges, and have an 'affiliates' section on their links section. Could this be something we could look at doing? Maybe a way for people who have similar comics could make links and help promote each other. I find the genre section a little constricted as it stands, and the 'readers who read ___ also read ____' usually consists of yaoi REGARDLESS of genre, purely because a huge amount of active members fave every single yaoi comic with half decent art, so the fan lists are bound to overlap with those, like mine, who have much lower fan counts. For example, one of my comics is horror, and They Walk On The Ceiling, quite possibly the most popular horror comic on the site, rarely shows up on the 'similar comics' section, though that would make the most sense.

Is this still happening? I thought this was something Dan had changed so that similar comics made more sense, like the recommended ones on your favourites' page.

It IS better, but it isn't perfect. I just thought this would be a way to network with other artists more directly, rather than letting the site do it for us and see what comics are listed on the comic profile, which not everyone looks at anyway.
Imi

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 10th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Imi wrote:It IS better, but it isn't perfect. I just thought this would be a way to network with other artists more directly, rather than letting the site do it for us and see what comics are listed on the comic profile, which not everyone looks at anyway.

Ah right, I wasn't really sure how much it had changed to be honest.
An affiliation page would be easy enough to implement manually, it would be a simple case of a few lines of code repeating where you replace the URLs.
I'm also pretty sure setting up an automatic one (where you just pick the comics and the rest is done automatically) wouldn't be too hard either so it could be worth suggesting.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby TacoTotes » August 10th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Even though I'm not posting at the moment, I have an affiliates section on my page. Some are from smackjeeves, some are not. Not many of them are similar to my own comics, they are friends of mine and we promote each other's work. I think it would be great if more people would do it. I'd say go for it, especially if you are focusing on comics that have a similar genre. It makes it easier for the people that are looking for more horror comics (etc.) and it would probably bring a bit more traffic to your site.
TacoTotes

Postby CWatsonD » August 10th, 2009, 11:51 pm

re: faving your own comics.... As soon as I realized I could fav my own comics I did... I mean, if I don't like 'em why should anyone else? :D

Links removed, as this isn't really the place to advertise... you can put em in your signature if you want.
CWatsonD

Postby Gibson Twist » August 11th, 2009, 12:10 am

Imi wrote:It IS better, but it isn't perfect. I just thought this would be a way to network with other artists more directly, rather than letting the site do it for us and see what comics are listed on the comic profile, which not everyone looks at anyway.

I don't think there is perfect with something like that, there's just close enough for rock n roll. Doing it yourself is definitely better, but I think folks need to get more involved than just signing up for a banner exchange. Exchange banners, for sure, but pick the banners you want to exchange, contact them personally, don't even bother with it on a forum level. I'd wager it would cause more issues than it would solve, formalizing things like that often do.
Gibson Twist

Postby Imi » August 11th, 2009, 3:49 am

Gibson Twist wrote:

I don't think there is perfect with something like that, there's just close enough for rock n roll. Doing it yourself is definitely better, but I think folks need to get more involved than just signing up for a banner exchange. Exchange banners, for sure, but pick the banners you want to exchange, contact them personally, don't even bother with it on a forum level. I'd wager it would cause more issues than it would solve, formalizing things like that often do.

Very true, and people have a habit of not really taking part as much as they may initially intend to (I know I'm guilty of that). Alas, guess I'll just talk to the people on my own comics and leave at that.
Imi

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2009, 12:55 am

Imi wrote:What purpose does self-faving have? Is it right for a person to expect and crave fans when they do nothing to take part and don't interact with members as a whole?

....i didn't even know you COULD fav yourself. man i need a friggin' sj tutorial or something. XD haha j/k

i only recently started to interact b/c i didn't even know there was a forum for the longest time. haaaa... *is shot*

but hey! i'm involved now, right? haha....ha....ha....no, but expecting fans based on your comic seems okay, but craving them, not so much.

i certainly don't see the point in fav-ing yourself unless you're attempting to keep track of something really specific or something to that extent.

Previous

Return to General Discussion