Community Involvement

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Frostwings » August 6th, 2009, 8:39 am

Aside from enjoying to see my comic update with the others in my favorites section, I've always felt that every author should +fav thier comic.

Afterall, the author of a comic is most likely its biggest fan.
-"Nearl, I'm gonna kill Babar."

-----------------------------------------

Image
User avatar
Frostwings
 
Posts: 67
Joined: April 30th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Location: Northrend...my feet are cold...

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Gibson Twist » August 6th, 2009, 9:31 am

Frostwings wrote:Afterall, the author of a comic is most likely its biggest fan.


Actually, this is usually the sign of a terrible comic.
User avatar
Gibson Twist
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: August 13th, 2006, 9:38 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Imi » August 6th, 2009, 9:33 am

Gibson Twist wrote:
Frostwings wrote:Afterall, the author of a comic is most likely its biggest fan.


Actually, this is usually the sign of a terrible comic.


I was thinking that >_> Most artists have at least a small amount of feeling they should do better, rather than thinking their comic is amazing.

I get the adding a comic to faves to use it as a benchmark, though, if you don't visit even when you're not updating. That makes a lot of sense.
User avatar
Imi
 
Posts: 477
Joined: June 24th, 2008, 3:38 am
Location: Liverpool, lad.

Re: Community Involvement

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 6th, 2009, 11:24 am

To be honest, if I see someone who favoutirtes their own comic when they're the only author it'll kind of turn me off their comic.
It may sound fickle but I'd say a lot of people do it too.
I always thought of it as an attempt to increase the fan count so people would think it's more popular and this makes me think the comic is either not that good, or the author is kind of desperate for fans, neither of which are good things for a comic.
...
See this is why I favourite so few comics...
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

Image
User avatar
SuperBiasedMan
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: November 1st, 2007, 1:30 pm
Location: The land of milk and honey. That's right, Ireland

Re: Community Involvement

Postby TacoTotes » August 6th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Hm, I do it. I don't do it so I can up my fan count (woo, by ONE) because fan count doesn't mean anything anymore. I did it because two years ago I got my account hacked by a "friend" who started updating random garbage as well as deleting my comics here and there. Oh the joys of updating on a public computer... I would see my comic listed being updated even though I hadn't touched it in months, that was funny.

Personally, I really don't care if someone favorites their own comic, and I'm not going to fish through the fans of the comic just to see if they faved it or not.
User avatar
TacoTotes
 
Posts: 290
Joined: October 30th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Location: Caprica

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Ran » August 6th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Actually, I rambled a bit but never really addressed the original question:

Way back, i did have my own comic on my favs. It had over 2000 watchers, so it wasn't really adding anything. I did it so that I could look at my recently updated comics and see who had update since I last updated (so bad with time). I also used my favs like a quicklink hub, so it made sense to have it there.

Now that I have a fancy bookmark bar in my browser, I have no reason to include it on my list anymore.
Image
User avatar
Ran
 
Posts: 89
Joined: October 8th, 2005, 11:58 am

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Frostwings » August 6th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:
Frostwings wrote:Afterall, the author of a comic is most likely its biggest fan.


Actually, this is usually the sign of a terrible comic.


Erm, ok, I guess what I meant didn't quite make it through.

For example~ I personally love my comic. I loved it when it contained the very poor art of a 12 year old and I've grown to love it more as my art improved. I'd be a damned fool if I thought my comic was the best comic out there cause it sure isn't. However, I think it's fair to say that I am my comic's biggest fan, as I adore it so.

I guess you could defend your point by saying that you did say 'usually', but I 'usually' see otherwise.

Imi wrote:
I was thinking that >_> Most artists have at least a small amount of feeling they should do better, rather than thinking their comic is amazing.

I get the adding a comic to faves to use it as a benchmark, though, if you don't visit even when you're not updating. That makes a lot of sense.


I think it's safe to say every artist probably feels that way to some degree. But it still doesn't deter my point.
-"Nearl, I'm gonna kill Babar."

-----------------------------------------

Image
User avatar
Frostwings
 
Posts: 67
Joined: April 30th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Location: Northrend...my feet are cold...

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Gibson Twist » August 6th, 2009, 8:55 pm

I think it's a bit of a misnomer to refer to someone who creates a comic (or anything else, really) as a fan. Fan has a connotation of being an outside party. The affection that an author or artist has for their creations is a different kind of thing than that of any reader, not to mention that they view those creations from pretty much the opposite perspective. It might seem an academic distinction, but it's the difference between having pride in something and admiring something. Writers and artists generally don't admire their work, they have pride in it. The ones who admire their work are the fans.
User avatar
Gibson Twist
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: August 13th, 2006, 9:38 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Frostwings » August 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:I think it's a bit of a misnomer to refer to someone who creates a comic (or anything else, really) as a fan. Fan has a connotation of being an outside party. The affection that an author or artist has for their creations is a different kind of thing than that of any reader, not to mention that they view those creations from pretty much the opposite perspective. It might seem an academic distinction, but it's the difference between having pride in something and admiring something. Writers and artists generally don't admire their work, they have pride in it. The ones who admire their work are the fans.


Okay, while that is most likely true, in the world of Smackjeeves, where authors can +fav thier own comics...ah whatever.

/As Ella once said
//You say tomato and I say tomatoe~
///Not that that has anything to do with anything.
-"Nearl, I'm gonna kill Babar."

-----------------------------------------

Image
User avatar
Frostwings
 
Posts: 67
Joined: April 30th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Location: Northrend...my feet are cold...

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2009, 11:19 pm

trenton_dawn wrote:I actually faved my own comic to help keep track of which favorites have updated since the last time I was on the site, heh heh. All the ones above my own in the list are ones I need to read, this way.

I might start faving my comic JUST for that purpose. But I honestly couldn't care how many fans I get, the fact that just ONE person is actually reading my comic makes me happy. But I only do the art for the comic...so the fact that someone is willing to stand looking at my flaw-full drawings for more than ten seconds makes me happy x3
Guest
 

Re: Community Involvement

Postby tezzle » August 8th, 2009, 6:18 pm

This thread has made me un-fav all my own comics. I hope you're happy...Now that I think about it, I'll bet a chunk of my DA pageviews are from myself looking around on my own profile. But I actually had a reason. DA used to never tell me when someone commented on my profile. Then they fixed it...and no one does anymore.
I'm Tooch now.
User avatar
tezzle
 
Posts: 4014
Joined: September 1st, 2006, 12:32 pm
Location: Yes

Re: Community Involvement

Postby I-Wanna-be-a-Marysue » August 9th, 2009, 5:39 am

I faved my own comics, for the sake of the recommendations list. I always mentally subtract myself from the fan count when I look at how many fans my comic has, though. And I also do it because I can. How that amounts to a good reason, I... don't know.
Interacting with members is a little hard for me. I almost always have next to nothing to say. I haven't been here in ages, and even now, there's not many threads here I want to reply to.
Image
User avatar
I-Wanna-be-a-Marysue
 
Posts: 32
Joined: March 28th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Gibson Twist » August 9th, 2009, 11:39 am

I think we're getting hung up on defending why we do or don't add our own comics, but we're forgetting the original thought of the thread which was more in line with whether we support other comics on the site or are just here for our own benefit. A thought I just had was of the old site and the amount of complaints some members had about the popularity of manga, yet many of them didn't read, support or promote non-manga titles. I always saw this as just hypocritical hatred of manga, but now I'm wondering how much of it was just due to bitterness that their own non-manga comics weren't getting enough attention.

Ironically, supporting other comics is often a big help in promoting your own. Connections I've made with other webcomickers has helped increase my readership a lot. I guess that's the community involvement we're talking about.
User avatar
Gibson Twist
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: August 13th, 2006, 9:38 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Community Involvement

Postby johnny_jones » August 9th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Since I entered the webcomic world, I have noticed some things, and Gibson has already talked about on this thread.

There are some peolple that just care about their comics and not really for the others, so they don't read actively other comics. In my opinion is a huge mistake not to know where you are and your surroundings. It's kind of living in a city and don't knowing where is the supermarket and not having any friends. I hope my example was clear enough.

Some others like to read the stories, but they don't comment on them, they just fav them. Like someone said, it feels hollow that they don't get a little involved. I normally try to approach to them, but if they don't respond, how do you know if they're really alive? I accept I'm a bit like this when I'm reading comics with lots of comments. I don't really feel confortable being just one in the crowd under a sea of comments, because you don't know what you're saying it has already been said.
We could classify this by style, there are some that only read to manga, some that read american, or whatever style/gender you can think of. That's a preference you can't switch, unless they're willing to do so. I try to read a little of everything, though I have my preference really established by now.

There are others that you know they're reading your comic, but they are somewhat outsiders of SJ, so they can't add you to their favs, but they keep track of the comic every now and then.

And the ones that always wait your comic to be released. Gotta love them all, they all give you something, even if it's not the way you like it. You just have to be grateful that they read it.

I prefer having a small fan base that likes my comic and comments, than a big fan base that just sees my comic as "another comic" and just reads it and goes to the next.

If you wanted me to give any solution... well, I can't really say but I just wanted to post what I've seen around.
Image
User avatar
johnny_jones
 
Posts: 14
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 7:25 pm

Re: Community Involvement

Postby Imi » August 9th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:
Ironically, supporting other comics is often a big help in promoting your own. Connections I've made with other webcomickers has helped increase my readership a lot. I guess that's the community involvement we're talking about.


Exactly, and posting in the Creative Corner a lot is a great help (on this site, anyway). And yes, this was the involvement I was talking about in the first place. I've been blown away by the artists who've I've considered to be my idols who have suddenly started reading my comics and commenting on the pages, because I made an effort to comment on their art, to tell them how much I enjoyed THEIR comics and offer advice when they wanted. Networking, in any part of life, is one of the best ways to get yourself known. Because essentially, the majority of the active membership on this site is a ring of artists or writers, and you can't expect to be known in a group of artists unless you TALK to them.

It's nice that a lot of people aren't seeing fancount as the main thing. I still find myself feeling a little sad when someone's defaved my comic, and this thread has helped me get over that *tear*. Gibson's mentioning of page hits rather than fancount, too, is brilliant. I never used to check it that often, but now I rely on it more than the fancount.

I've just thought, I noticed a while ago, though not so much any more, that a few artists used to do banner exchanges, and have an 'affiliates' section on their links section. Could this be something we could look at doing? Maybe a way for people who have similar comics could make links and help promote each other. I find the genre section a little constricted as it stands, and the 'readers who read ___ also read ____' usually consists of yaoi REGARDLESS of genre, purely because a huge amount of active members fave every single yaoi comic with half decent art, so the fan lists are bound to overlap with those, like mine, who have much lower fan counts. For example, one of my comics is horror, and They Walk On The Ceiling, quite possibly the most popular horror comic on the site, rarely shows up on the 'similar comics' section, though that would make the most sense.

Perhaps there would be a way for a few threads to be made in the Creative section of the site, like a registration, of sorts, for horror, or for superhero, or 'slice of life', or whatever, and artists who are taking part could have a custom page where comics similar to their own are posted and suggested.

This may be a terrible idea, I realise. I'm just typing as I'm thinking which could perhaps not be such a good idea Dx
User avatar
Imi
 
Posts: 477
Joined: June 24th, 2008, 3:38 am
Location: Liverpool, lad.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Butterscotch, Flavia-Elric, haganekitsune, Jenko and 25 guests