Apple has reached a new level of stupidty!

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Apple has reached a new level of stupidty!

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2009, 2:55 am

I was busy working on a strip, when I hear an iPhone commercial come on. I tune most of it out until I hear something along the lines of "Now you can order America's favorite pizza on your iPhone."
...I will repeat that, because it bears repeating.
"Now you can order America's favorite pizza on your iPhone."

Instantly I began to channel Lewis Black, and went on a rather hilarious rant.
Imagine that! Ordering pizza on a phone! Why hasn't anyone thought of that before?!
That's just too new and scary! I'm going to stick to ordering pizza with one of these.

Re: Apple has reached a new level of stupidty!

Postby Mr Aids » August 3rd, 2009, 3:00 am

You misunderstand the ad. The pizza emerges from your iPhone in it's radiating brilliance.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Sai » August 3rd, 2009, 3:40 am

Mr Aids wrote:You misunderstand the ad. The pizza emerges from your iPhone in it's radiating brilliance.

Sheer genius, I should get one.
Sai

Postby Gibson Twist » August 3rd, 2009, 5:09 am

zerodin wrote:"Now you can order America's favorite pizza on your iPhone."

That made me giggle like a Newfoundland whore.

A friend of mine got a text the other day from someone that said "call me".
Gibson Twist

Postby Charlie » August 3rd, 2009, 5:25 am

Against my better judgement, I'm going to step in and try to defend the much maligned "call me" text. I like to think of it as a shorthand way of saying "I need to talk to you, but I recognise that you may be in a situation where it may be rude or impractical to actually talk on the phone, such as in a library or at a rock concert, so I will patiently wait until such a time when you are free to instigate conversation." Which would be, you know, kind of long for a text message.

Yeah, they could just call, and you could just not answer if you're not able to talk. But then they leave voicemail. I hate voicemail.

Token reference to original post: It sounds to me like the thing being advertised is a way to order pizza without actually speaking to anyone. Typical of modern technology, really. When are they going to get more realistic with marketing, and rename it something like the iSolation?
Charlie: Tempering strongly held views with humour and icecream since 1988.
Charlie

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 3rd, 2009, 5:56 am

Charlie wrote:Against my better judgement, I'm going to step in and try to defend the much maligned "call me" text. I like to think of it as a shorthand way of saying "I need to talk to you, but I recognise that you may be in a situation where it may be rude or impractical to actually talk on the phone, such as in a library or at a rock concert, so I will patiently wait until such a time when you are free to instigate conversation." Which would be, you know, kind of long for a text message.

Yeah, they could just call, and you could just not answer if you're not able to talk. But then they leave voicemail. I hate voicemail.

Token reference to original post: It sounds to me like the thing being advertised is a way to order pizza without actually speaking to anyone. Typical of modern technology, really. When are they going to get more realistic with marketing, and rename it something like the iSolation?

I thought 'call me' texts were just a cheap/free (free with some offer I think) way of getting in touch with the other person.
So, the person calling you would then have to pay for the conversation?
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Gibson Twist » August 3rd, 2009, 11:59 am

Charlie wrote:"I need to talk to you, but I recognise that you may be in a situation where it may be rude or impractical to actually talk on the phone, such as in a library or at a rock concert, so I will patiently wait until such a time when you are free to instigate conversation."

While I grant that may be a possibility, it's a fairly presumptive scenario. It's like saying "I'd really like to ask that girl out, but she might have some deep-seeded psychological trauma against being asked out and then all the good work the doctors have done will be ruined and she'll revert to a catatonic state for the rest of her life, becoming a burden on her family both emotional and financial and she'll never know how Lost ends!"

Okay, well, it's not a lot like that, but at least one young forumite is going to read that and think "That's not what girls think?" It'll probably be a spriter.

Suffice it to say, the person who sent the message was not thinking anything of the sort. She's just dumb. She's the kind of person who would text "Hey" and think nothing of it.

And while the prospect of being able to order pizza on your phone still makes me giggle like a 24-hour news agency the day Michael Jackson died, what I'm sure it refers to is that you can now see a menu on your phone, which is regrettably cool. Still, the next step is being able to Twitter a pizza, so iPhone can suck it. And so can Twitter. And so can everyone who uses Twitter.
Gibson Twist

Postby Vitotamito » August 3rd, 2009, 12:11 pm

iPhone can suck it. And so can Twitter. And so can everyone who uses Twitter.

I'm going to defend Twitter here. There are plenty of good uses for it.

Most notably following Comedians provides a joke-a-day, and also things like The Following:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/ho ... witter.php

As for the iPhone commercial, I will still love Apple no matter what they do. Even if they came out with a phone that was only visible to its most loyal customers.
Sonic-ock wrote:Prepare yourself for the gay adventures of Kuro the dragonwolf and Shiro the wolfdragon.

Vitotamito

Postby gun21 » August 3rd, 2009, 12:15 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:Still, the next step is being able to Twitter a pizza, so iPhone can suck it. And so can Twitter. And so can everyone who uses Twitter.

This pretty much explains why twitter and facebook suck.
gun21

Postby tezzle » August 3rd, 2009, 12:28 pm

Hey, wait a second, I have a hard time believing that's originally from Newgrounds...The people voicing those characters could actually act!
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Gibson Twist » August 3rd, 2009, 12:46 pm

The only use for Twitter is wasting time. There are no good uses for it. Unlike so many other things that I hate, Twitter doesn't even have potential for usefulness that is being wasted. I'm not sure how getting the latest update on how you might be a redneck could be considered good use of anything.
Gibson Twist

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 3rd, 2009, 12:53 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:The only use for Twitter is wasting time. There are no good uses for it. Unlike so many other things that I hate, Twitter doesn't even have potential for usefulness that is being wasted. I'm not sure how getting the latest update on how you might be a redneck could be considered good use of anything.

I kind of thought it would be of some use for someone making something like a film, comic, whatever. Basically to give an in depth behind the scenes thing on the making of it for anyone who actually is interested in it.

Of course then I found out that what it is actually used for.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Izkata » August 3rd, 2009, 1:06 pm

Yer aallllll behind the times!

http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/Things ... arty#ntoc6

We've been able to order pizza from the linux command line for a while now.

:mrgreen:
Izkata

Postby gun21 » August 3rd, 2009, 2:05 pm

tezzle wrote:

Hey, wait a second, I have a hard time believing that's originally from Newgrounds...The people voicing those characters could actually act!

Everything Johnny Utah does is awesome.
gun21

Postby AFStaff » August 3rd, 2009, 7:04 pm

Strangely enough you can order Papa Johns (I believe) through WoW with a chat command. That's not a joke, because you can order Papa Johns online you can type in /pizza or something similar and the website comes up. You'd think Blizzard would get sued for people's atrophied legs.
AFStaff

Next

Return to General Discussion