Picking a Comic Title

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Picking a Comic Title

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2009, 3:17 am

There's a thread for picking a character name, so here's one for a title and such things like that. Besides that, I'm having trouble naming something myself, and am hoping this is the right forum for such advice... ^^;

How'd you pick your comics title? (I've seen some awesome ones here and there and am currently kicking myself in the head for having such a "bleh" one myself.)

Hell, how did you pick a title for anything?

For the advice, I wonder...the comic I have posted here is called Jinx: The Magical Nut (note sig ha ha), and I honestly don't know if I should change the title. I think that it may become less relevant as the story progresses, but my friends say the title is fine (or rather, "it's fine, but...*trail off into personal happy land to avoid discussion*") or say to "go with what I want to do." But I don't know...and still, it no longer sits right with me. Should I change it? O.O Someone please help, I've been asking in rl and on Jinx's page for a while, yet I never get a definate response.
Last edited by Guest on August 7th, 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Title Names and Such As the Like...

Postby Seven Rain » August 7th, 2009, 3:41 am

Eh, for me titles are even more random than character names.
Sometimes I think up the comic, and work on the plot and characters for months before naming it...
Other times I've actually thought up a random title that sounds cool and built around it from scratch. XD

For example... There was this one time I woke up during the night, and checked what time it is on my digital clock...
It was 11:34... But it was upside down 'cuz of the way I was laying, so just like the little calculator trick we giggled about in elementary school; it looked like the word "hell".

Long story short: I ended up creating some big storyline centering around Villains as protaganists, all because of this:
XD

(Dunno if I'll ever actually work on it though... What with all the other comics I have planned.)
Seven Rain

Postby Dai-san » August 7th, 2009, 8:45 am

I have a lot of trouble thinking of titles.

Sometimes my titles are a relevant or important quote from the story, sometimes they're a reference to something, sometimes they're just the main character's name... It really depends on the story.

For example, the title of Love and Makoto comes from the name of ALI PROJECT's song "Ai to Makoto" (Love and Truth). I realized the song really reminded me of the main character of my comic, who just happened to be named Makoto, so I decided to use that as the title. It doesn't have a lot to do with the story (the 'love' part at least) but I think the words also fit the character in a strange way.

Sometimes I think about the titles of manga/stories/anything I like to think of what to do for a title. It's not a bad source of inspiration, imo.
Dai-san

Postby Gibson Twist » August 7th, 2009, 9:51 am

Talking about how to title things is a little like talking about "where do you get your ideas?" Anyone who's any good can't really explain the process, it just happens. Personally, I despise titling anything after the main character, something about that just seems lazy and uninspired. Some of my titles come from music, which is pretty easy to explain, I suppose, but then you have to consider how relevant the title is to your work. If you do this, be careful you don't use something that's been copyrighted. Some titles come early and some not til much later. Our Time in Eden was a title before it was an idea, where Pictures of You had three different titles before settling on that one, and the title for Cheap Shots seems to have formed out of the ether at an indeterminate time.

The closest I can come to advice on how to name things is just to think about the project, think about what you want to say with it, the story you want to tell, the major themes, the characters, let your brain free-associate about all of this for a while, remember (or better yet, write down) ones that have a pleasing sound and play with them in your mind until you find one that stands out. Otherwise, there isn't really a good formula. It's just like writing, some people have an affinity for it and some don't.
Gibson Twist

Postby Ran » August 7th, 2009, 10:10 am

I dunno.

'Hollow' just kind of felt right. It's so strange to just have everything about this project just fall into place logically. That's never happened for me before, so I don't think I can even form an explanation that anyone, including myself, will be able to read and understand.
Ran

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:Talking about how to title things is a little like talking about "where do you get your ideas?" Anyone who's any good can't really explain the process, it just happens. Personally, I despise titling anything after the main character, something about that just seems lazy and uninspired. Some of my titles come from music, which is pretty easy to explain, I suppose, but then you have to consider how relevant the title is to your work. If you do this, be careful you don't use something that's been copyrighted. Some titles come early and some not til much later. Our Time in Eden was a title before it was an idea, where Pictures of You had three different titles before settling on that one, and the title for Cheap Shots seems to have formed out of the ether at an indeterminate time.

The closest I can come to advice on how to name things is just to think about the project, think about what you want to say with it, the story you want to tell, the major themes, the characters, let your brain free-associate about all of this for a while, remember (or better yet, write down) ones that have a pleasing sound and play with them in your mind until you find one that stands out. Otherwise, there isn't really a good formula. It's just like writing, some people have an affinity for it and some don't.

thanks. well, you just convinced me to change it. ^^ this is honestly the only story i can't get a good name for (others i love the titles, but they aren't, er, ready to be on the web just yet. haaa). guh. the sad part is, i used to be really good at titles. >> i've only had that copyrighted problem once, though, and that was a while ago...

can you change the url for the webcomic or is it stuck? it's not a huge problem if i can't, i'm just curious for when i do get a better title.

Ran wrote:I dunno.

'Hollow' just kind of felt right. It's so strange to just have everything about this project just fall into place logically. That's never happened for me before, so I don't think I can even form an explanation that anyone, including myself, will be able to read and understand.

i think you just proved gibson's point. XD

Re: Picking a Comic Title

Postby Gibson Twist » August 7th, 2009, 2:42 pm

I think you can change it in your Webcomic Management settings. If you go to the main menu, there is a Quick Action titled Edit Profile & Settings, and there's a field for your url there that can be altered.
Gibson Twist

Postby Imi » August 7th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Sometimes a title doesn't have to be poetic or anything, either. Fallen is pretty simple, when you know the story. One of the main characters is a fallen angel, and I'm...pretty sure my writer and I used the name as a placeholder, just because it was the first thing that came to mind. It kind of stuck. But it's nice that 'fallen' is one of those words that, in itself, can have a lot of meanings for different people. It carries certain ideas with it that have been set in our minds over time.

And Borstal is the name of the main setting for the comic, and it's just a cool word XD It's the simple things.

So maybe you should look at a central theme of your story, or the background/motivations for your main character. Something could jump out at you from there.
Imi

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2009, 3:03 pm

I normally name the comic the same thing as the main character or the hero team if there is one and for humorous 'toons, it is really all you need. Take Beavis and Butt-head for example. Also, Ren and Stimpy. A lot of Disney things do it now, but don't be too timid by the over use. Sometimes the simplest tools are the most effective.

My current signature comics are Senoire Delirium. Senoire (Cen-your), is the main teams name which consists of four boys.

I generally think you should avoid the words "Random" "Epic" and "Fail" in your comic title. Personally, I avoid comics with those words in the title.

Postby TacoTotes » August 7th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Hmm, like Gibson I usually use music as my influence for my titles. I was worried about copyright since I have been using "Positively Fourth Street" for my recent comic. After some research I found that most titles cannot be copyrighted. Also I found a bunch of things related to Positively Fourth Street, be it a cafe, store, book, etc. So after finding other things named after it, I felt a little better about it, but you never know??? It's related to the story as a landmark as well as the fact that the protagonist lives on fourth street.

Anyway, sometimes I find naming things to be really easy, other times really hard. I'm sure something will come to you, just consider your influences and motivators. Hope it works out for you!
TacoTotes

Postby tezzle » August 7th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I agree with Gibson that you can't really give someone steps or a process on how to do stuff like name things or just come up with ideas in general. However, a good title, I feel, more times than not should, do one or more of the following things:
- Not drag on too long
- Not be hard for people to say aloud, and flow nicely when said
- Original, but memorable
- Have something to do with the story, but don't come right out & say it. Even if you're the only one who can see the connection, as long as it's a good title, go with it.

Something along those lines. Exceptions abound, I'm sure, but it's a good starting point, I think. However, in the end, no one can tell you what or how to name something, but when you do it will probably sound right to you.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 7th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Imi wrote:I'm...pretty sure my writer and I used the name as a placeholder, just because it was the first thing that came to mind. It kind of stuck.

Yeah, this is pretty much how most of my titles are chosen. I'll think of something that I'll have some problem with and so I'll want to think of a better name while working on other stuff for the project, but when I do eventually start I'll accept the 'placeholder name' rather than wasting my time delaying it as I obsess over the title.
Of course I occasionally have a moment of inspiration where I don't find fault with the name I come up with but that sadly doesn't happen all the time.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Seven Rain wrote:For example... There was this one time I woke up during the night, and checked what time it is on my digital clock...
It was 11:34... But it was upside down 'cuz of the way I was laying, so just like the little calculator trick we giggled about in elementary school; it looked like the word "hell".

Long story short: I ended up creating some big storyline centering around Villains as protaganists, all because of this:
XD

dude, that would've scared the crap outta me! XD

hrm...but i do see what you all mean. i'm not trying to be especially poetic or anything, though i am making a list of different titles i can think of. what really sucks is that it's bugging me and this is the only story i can't seem to name. ^^; i did the music one, too, once (lyrics from sweeny todd, no less). problem is, i can't tie a lot of music to this one.

Gibson Twist wrote:I think you can change it in your Webcomic Management settings. If you go to the main menu, there is a Quick Action titled Edit Profile & Settings, and there's a field for your url there that can be altered.

ah i found it. *feels ridiculously stupid* thank you! ^_^

Postby ninjies » August 7th, 2009, 7:26 pm

i referenced an edward gorey poem that had nothing to do with the story, and then decided to add characters to the story that give the title meaning, then i decided the title was stupid to begin with and now i am stuck with pointless characters.
and that is my creative process.
ninjies

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2009, 9:11 pm

haaa...the name of my comic has been changed to "Mosaic Overdose." :D

thanks to everyone for the suggestions! ^^

Next

Return to General Discussion