Since many people could not participate fully in June NaNoMangO due to finals, here's a July challenge!
You'll have 30 days (July 2-31) to complete one of the following challenges:
Crazy Prepared: 60 thumbnailed pages
Original: 30 pencilled pages
Crisp: 15 inked pages
The Works: 10 finished pages
Sign up by posting in this thread with your chosen challenge.
Remember, these challenges are not a competition! They exist so that we can all get more work done than usual.
- A comic page can be a small strip or a complex page. We're not picky! This is a personal challenge, after all. Make what you believe to be a comic!
- Original or fanart, any kind of content is acceptable!
- If your comic is generally considered finished at the pencilling or inking stage, please count it as pencilled or inked rather than finished. "Finished" implies tones, colours, or some other level of finish that requires extra work beyond inking. If these levels of finish do not apply to your comic, then please think about the level of effort your comic takes compared to those levels and go with that.
- You're welcome to make an erotic comic, or have your characters speak entirely in Cluster F-Bombs! However, if your comic is "mature", please hide it in [spoiler] tags when posting in this thread. If your comic is strictly 18+, please do not post it in the thread. However, you are still welcome to participate even if you can't or don't want to post your pages for any reason!
- Your comic can be of any genre and it can be in any style.
- You're welcome to post your pages here, but keep the sizes reasonable. If you're posting more than one image or your image is large, please use [spoiler] tags or make a text-link. Posting your pages is optional!
- Be respectful! All the usual forum rules still apply.
Here's some Q&A!
If you have a question not addressed here, feel free to ask in the thread!
What is a thumbnail?
- A thumbnail is a rough sketch plan for a page, usually drawn small, and there may be multiple thumbnail drafts for each page. Here's an example of one of my thumbnail sheets. There are lots of ways to do thumbnails, of course. If you don't already do thumbnails for your pages, I highly recommend them! They're a great way to try many layout and pacing ideas quickly.
To count for this challenge, the thumbnail should suggest the layout for the page. Sketches of individual events (such as thumbnails for specific panels rather than whole pages) do not count.
Can I just do 60 drafts for a single comic page, or 3 drafts each for 20 pages, something like that?
- You can, but it's not recommended. If possible, only count the "final" thumbnail for each page instead of counting multiple drafts for a single page as multiple pages.
Can I do more than the required number of pages?
- Of course! Those are just minimum goals, you're welcome to do more! But remember, this isn't a page-count competition, you're doing this mostly for yourself. It's better to make quality pages you're happy with!
Can I make pages for an existing comic, or do I have to start a new one?
- Either is fine! You can make pages for an ongoing project, or you can make a new comic just for the challenge, it's up to you!
Do all the pages have to be for a single project?
- Nope! You're welcome to make pages for as many projects as you wish, and in any combination.
Can I work with a script or thumbnails created before July?
- You can! As long as the final art is created entirely during the challenge period, it's acceptable. Of course, thumbnails created before the challenge period do not count for the thumbnail challenge.
eishiya - 60+ thumbnails
Nikkinoodles - 60+ thumbnails
radiostarkiller - 15 inked
Night Moon Comic - 10 finished
Captain Ghost - 60 thumbnails
Sonic-ock - 10 finished
Wulfmune - 30 finished
Lapsang - 10 finished
BestestShirt - 30 pencilled
KirbyHead - 10 finished
Nymine - 10 finished
blankd - 10 finished
erase - 10 finished
Piano-kun - 30 pencilled
Seven Rain - 10 finished
phoenixgem - 60 thumbnails
Butterscotch - 10 finished
Seren Lumiere - 10 finished
PhoenixRenaissance - 10 finished
Queerious Toast - 15 inked
reverendjack - 10 finished
Kattlanna - 30 pencilled
Clockworkquark - 10 finished
Shishi Beru - 10 finished
GuineaPiggy - 15 inked
MadameEvelyn - 10 finished
Loverofpiggies - 10 finished
SkyWithFluffyclouds - 30 pencilled
Elastikid - 10 finished