When Redoing a Comic...

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

When Redoing a Comic...

Postby TacoTotes » August 12th, 2009, 7:55 pm

When redoing a comic, in terms of the site itself, would it be better to start from scratch entirely? For instance, making a new site for the same comic and start updating there? I've redone my comic before and I just deleted what I had and started over, same site, same fans. I'm tempting to start from scratch despite the fact that I do have a lot of fans, and also despite the fact that I've done a LOT to the website to customize it. I also have a lot of people linking to me via link exchange amongst other things.

If I were to start from scratch with null, I would keep the old site for a while, linking back to the new site as to not confuse anyone. Also, my Smack Jeeves site will now be a mirror site. Would it be worth it? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!
TacoTotes

Re: When Redoing a Comic...

Postby Falconer » August 12th, 2009, 8:01 pm

I made a new site for it and changed the URLs so that the new one has the same address the old one did, but the old one still exists, more for archive purposes than anything else. Though I made an announcement about the change, a lot of people haven't transferred only, which kind of tells me whose either not interested or just not active anymore. But I still have the loyal followers, and now also get to start anew. For me it seemed the best solution, but its really up to you what you choose to do. (My SJ site is also a mirror site btw) Some people make a new site, and a lot of people don't...it doesn't matter all that much. For me it was more a matter of it I wanted the old pages to still be available or not, and I did, so thus I made a new site for the new version.
Falconer

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » August 13th, 2009, 6:23 am

I saw one comic, Resonance I believe it was, where the author restarted their comic but just started posting the new pages AFTER the ones they'd already done. I thought this was pretty good as it made it easy for the old readers to find it and they could still have a gander at the old pages if they want, and doesn't leave that deceptive "1 page, 1500 fans" about it that often comes when people restart.
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby Gibson Twist » August 13th, 2009, 1:29 pm

I would say leave it on the current site, especially if it's just going to be a mirror. This lets older readers keep following it if they like the new direction, and that saves you a lot of time trying to re-promote the title. A big part of the reason Falconer probably lost readers isn't necessarily out of disloyalty, but out of good old fashioned laziness. "I'd like to keep reading, but it's all the way over there..." When I stopped posting Pictures of You on Drunk Duck, a lot of the readers there didn't follow it to Smack Jeeves, despite numerous posts with links and even an entire page saying I was moving and where. It wasn't because they didn't like the comic, they just didn't want all the fuss of clicking the link and having to add a new bookmark. It seems silly, but it's real.

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:the author restarted their comic but just started posting the new pages AFTER the ones they'd already done.

The thing about something like this is that it's confusing for new readers. I'm not sure I'd worry about what the fan count looked like, it's a pointless number anyway.
Gibson Twist

Postby TacoTotes » August 13th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Falconer wrote:I made a new site for it and changed the URLs so that the new one has the same address the old one did, but the old one still exists, more for archive purposes than anything else. Though I made an announcement about the change, a lot of people haven't transferred only, which kind of tells me whose either not interested or just not active anymore. But I still have the loyal followers, and now also get to start anew. For me it seemed the best solution, but its really up to you what you choose to do. (My SJ site is also a mirror site btw) Some people make a new site, and a lot of people don't...it doesn't matter all that much. For me it was more a matter of it I wanted the old pages to still be available or not, and I did, so thus I made a new site for the new version.

Yeah, I don't really care much to have the old pages up, as there wasn't many of them. I think that once you start to update people will make the switch over to your site. Also make sure to make another notice on the old one as that happens, I think that will help. Good luck!! I may as well delete what I have, and just start with what I had earlier. So I don't have to mess with the templates and change the url. Thanks for your input. :]

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:I saw one comic, Resonance I believe it was, where the author restarted their comic but just started posting the new pages AFTER the ones they'd already done. I thought this was pretty good as it made it easy for the old readers to find it and they could still have a gander at the old pages if they want, and doesn't leave that deceptive "1 page, 1500 fans" about it that often comes when people restart.

I think that would probably confuse a few of my readers, and considering I am not completely fond of my older pages I would just as well delete them. I do agree with the deceptive "1 page and in my case 364 fans". People might expect it to be good or something. ;) Thanks for your input!!

Gibson Twist wrote:I would say leave it on the current site, especially if it's just going to be a mirror. This lets older readers keep following it if they like the new direction, and that saves you a lot of time trying to re-promote the title. A big part of the reason Falconer probably lost readers isn't necessarily out of disloyalty, but out of good old fashioned laziness. "I'd like to keep reading, but it's all the way over there..." When I stopped posting Pictures of You on Drunk Duck, a lot of the readers there didn't follow it to Smack Jeeves, despite numerous posts with links and even an entire page saying I was moving and where. It wasn't because they didn't like the comic, they just didn't want all the fuss of clicking the link and having to add a new bookmark. It seems silly, but it's real.

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:the author restarted their comic but just started posting the new pages AFTER the ones they'd already done.

The thing about something like this is that it's confusing for new readers. I'm not sure I'd worry about what the fan count looked like, it's a pointless number anyway.

Yeah, that would confuse me if I was reading a comic and all of a sudden it restarted midway. It's true that it's going to a mirror so I guess it doesn't matter all that much, and I want to make sure that whoever is looking for it, finds it. My biggest qualm was really with changing the url, I have quite a few people linked to the comic and if it suddenly wasn't there anymore I'm sure people would get confused and just lose interest all together.

Yeah, I've learned to kind of ignore the fan count and focus on who is actually reading it (which I can only find out by who comments, sadly), I tried to put the google analytics on my site, but for some reason it's not working at all.
TacoTotes

Postby Falconer » August 13th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Since I made the new site have the old url they don't even have to re-bookmark anything; it's just a matter of re-clicking that fav button. So, I guess they could be being lazy haha. We'll see what happens when the new pages finally begin posting. I'm hoping that even if they somehow missed the notice, they will somehow come across it again...seriously. The difference is amazing. I don't even think people who read the old version would believe I can draw buildings/backgrounds/people in perspective, but as it shall soon be become evident, it turns out I can. (It takes me forever and I hate every minute of it, but I can do it darnnit!) It's not like I had a fan count in the hundreds, so its no big deal to me the lack of following over to the new site. (And since I keep track of site views, the number that did cross over vs the times people saw the notice about it was a reasonable enough percentage. Which is also to say many people who faved it I don't think ever saw the notice. Where they are, I do not know...)

Anyway, back more on topic, the posting new pages after old ones would I imagine be confusing - even if you put a notice about it in the beginning. It also is then kind of misleading anyway - they expect to read a 300pg+ story, but it turns out only 3 really "count" now.
Falconer

Return to General Discussion