J-Music

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: J-Music

Postby Seven Rain » August 16th, 2009, 2:05 am

My favorite would have to be Dark Messenger. >:3
I've always had a thing for Boss Themes.
Especially Gilgamesh! >:D

*EDIT*
Oh, and Assault of the Silver Dragons was another one of my faves from FFIX.
Image
User avatar
Seven Rain
 
Posts: 23829
Joined: February 21st, 2008, 7:05 am
Location: Nostalgia Town

Re: J-Music

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 16th, 2009, 10:52 am

Ah, if FF counts, then One Winged Angel, Still More Fighting and Aeris' Theme are automatically at the top.
As well as the main theme thing for 'The World Ends With You'.

I don't really listen to j-music that much, though I do have a few k-rock songs (korean) :P
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

Image
User avatar
SuperBiasedMan
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: November 1st, 2007, 1:30 pm
Location: The land of milk and honey. That's right, Ireland

Re: J-Music

Postby Dai-san » August 16th, 2009, 11:00 am

Hm, I always have an easier time finding Japanese music I like than other kinds, but I'm a fan of music from any country. (I've come to the conclusion that I'm more likely to like music I can understand more of the lyrics to, so I tend to lean towards English- or Japanese-language music.)

Gackt, etc, IS overrated in my opinion. I'll admit a lot of the popular artists are good, but not the best.

My favorites are probably (off the top of my head here) the pillows, ALI PROJECT, Jam Project, IOSYS, Cool&Create, Megumi Hayashibara, Wada Kaoru, and Shoji Meguro.

(IOSYS and Cool&Create do a lot of Touhou arrangements, Wada Kaoru composed the BGM for Inuyasha, and Shoji Meguro composed the music for Persona 3.)
Image
User avatar
Dai-san
 
Posts: 29
Joined: October 11th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Re: J-Music

Postby Izkata » August 16th, 2009, 12:16 pm

I have to agree, Megumi Hayashibara has some of the best stuff. She even does the openings/endings of (I think) one of the best anime out there, Slayers. (Both how I first heard her music and the first anime I watched in Japanese with subtitles)

Anyway, some other good Japanese artists are:
Access (Or is it AXS, pronounced "Access"? I could never figure out why I found them under two different names...)
Flow
Nico Touches the Walls (They do the newest FMA2 opening, gotta check them out...)
Yui (First FMA2 opening, another I want to check out...)
Tamaki Nami

Like Dai-san, I prefer music I can understand at least parts of. English, I've picked up some words and learned some grammar for Japanese so I can understand parts of the songs, and Tatu has several of their songs in both English and Russian.

Although, yes, I know the words are changed to fit the music - Just like these ones:
Shakira (Spanish) - Suerte/Whenever, Wherever (I got into her music before she was big in the US, so everyone was confused when I sang this one in the wrong language =^_^=)
Lisa Komine (Japanese) - Sora ni Saku/Faith (Both openings were used in Rental Magica, and have rather different meanings)
User avatar
Izkata
 
Posts: 213
Joined: June 18th, 2006, 11:57 pm

Re: J-Music

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Seven Rain wrote:My favorite would have to be Dark Messenger. >:3
I've always had a thing for Boss Themes.


oh, i forgot about dark messenger! :D i love that one! ^^ it'd be a shorter list for what music i don't like from that game. XD

SuperBiasedMan wrote:Ah, if FF counts, then One Winged Angel, Still More Fighting and Aeris' Theme are automatically at the top.
As well as the main theme thing for 'The World Ends With You'.


i like those, too, except one winged angel. every game i play that even mentions sephiroth they play it, plus most stuff that have to w/ final fantasy play it. i used to think "oh that's cool." now i'm just "please, someone shoot me." XD haha seriously, they have better boss themes.

not to offend you or anything, i'm just saying it's massively overplayed. ^^;;; *realized she sounded a tad rude*
Guest
 

Re: J-Music

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 16th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Molly-sama wrote:i like those, too, except one winged angel. every game i play that even mentions sephiroth they play it, plus most stuff that have to w/ final fantasy play it. i used to think "oh that's cool." now i'm just "please, someone shoot me." XD haha seriously, they have better boss themes.

not to offend you or anything, i'm just saying it's massively overplayed. ^^;;; *realized she sounded a tad rude*


Haha, it's fine, it's personal opinion.
Anyway, for me the more I hear a song the more I like it really. I can actually 'sing' the first half or so of those songs (the insturmental bits, obviously)
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

Image
User avatar
SuperBiasedMan
 
Posts: 4609
Joined: November 1st, 2007, 1:30 pm
Location: The land of milk and honey. That's right, Ireland

Re: J-Music

Postby Dai-san » August 16th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Izkata wrote:I have to agree, Megumi Hayashibara has some of the best stuff. She even does the openings/endings of (I think) one of the best anime out there, Slayers. (Both how I first heard her music and the first anime I watched in Japanese with subtitles)


That's how I first heard her music too! Slayers is probably my favorite anime EVER. (And all of the music from it is GREAT.)
Image
User avatar
Dai-san
 
Posts: 29
Joined: October 11th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Re: J-Music

Postby Sai » August 16th, 2009, 3:21 pm

J-music, eh? I'm all for (links lead to my favorite songs by the artists) the pillows, Bump of Chicken, RADWIMPS, MONKEY MAJIK, m-flo, Rie fu, and THE MAD CAPSULE MARKETS.
Sai
 
Posts: 457
Joined: August 6th, 2007, 4:51 am
Location: Onett

Re: J-Music

Postby TacoTotes » August 16th, 2009, 3:35 pm

I stopped listening to Japanese music a long while ago, but the Pillows still pop up on my itunes. I enjoy them.
User avatar
TacoTotes
 
Posts: 290
Joined: October 30th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Location: Caprica

Re: J-Music

Postby MillieQOF » August 16th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Hate to admit that I kinda grew out of the Jmusic-phase, although I still think there are quite a few awesome bands from the great islands in the east.
How about Maximum the Hormone, Coaltar of the Deepers, hide and all of his bands (especially X Japan, but I'm pissed at them because they're not coming to Europe), Versailles, Guniw Tools blah blah blah. Also, Malice Mizer's music is underrated, people just pay attention to their looks.

This song says it all: Japan will always be super cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgOcrFxLms
MillieQOF
 

Re: J-Music

Postby Admin » August 16th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Thread locked for being hideously derailed. Feel free to start the same topic over again.
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: August 17th, 2005, 11:10 pm

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests