J-Music (Start Over?)

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

J-Music (Start Over?)

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Okay, so Admin said I could start this over again b/c of the last problem...anyway, so....

what do you think of J-Pop or J-Rock? ^^ do you think it measures up at all to other takes on pop/rock from other countries?

personal opinion: like most genres, there are good bands and bad ones, but i perfer j-rock to pop....usually the pop sounds like the us's 1980's bubblegum pop or aqua....kind of gets on the nerves a bit. j-rock itself is alright, but i think gackt/nightmare/hyde may be a tad bit overrated (i think i may have pissed off a fangirl somewhere, and she doesn't even know me or why XD ).

and the soundtracks! i personally love japanese soundtracks to movies and games (by these types i mean music composed for either and wouldn't fall under "j-pop" or "j-rock").

Re: J-Music (Start Over?)

Postby Seven Rain » August 16th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Seven Rain wrote:L'Arc~En~Ciel...
Maximum the Hormone...
FACT...
The more J-Music I've listened to the more I've come to enjoy it. :3

Seven Rain wrote:Also, does Hyadain count? Although he mainly does Video Game stuff, I just find his work beyond amazing. :3
So beautiful...

And after a short talk between Final Fantasy IX fans...
Seven Rain wrote:My favorite would have to be Dark Messenger. >:3
I've always had a thing for Boss Themes.
Especially Gilgamesh! >:D

Oh, and Assault of the Silver Dragons was another one of my faves from FFIX.

Let's hope the thread does better this time. ^^;
And here's some more Hyadain Awesomeness; Ganbare Goemon Style!
Seven Rain

Postby AyaneSensei » August 16th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Prior to 2007 it was common for me to listen to J-pop, but now, honestly, I'm not a big fan of it anymore.
Sure, every so often I'll hear a new song that I like(usually something from an anime), but I don't seek out to hear more Japanese music, I'll still listen to some good songs that I have on my Zune though, every so often. :B Korean (k-pop) music on the other hand is luff! <3 I listen to it everyday, read about the celebrity gossip and seek out new songs all the time. :3 I find the music too be a lot more catchy than it's Japanese counterpart, anyway, who could resist the amazing-ness that is the Koreanwave!? Mando-pop can be pretty good too; I've also heard a couple good T(thai)-pop in my day. xD
AyaneSensei

Postby Sai » August 16th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Sai wrote:J-music, eh? I'm all for (links lead to my favorite songs by the artists) the pillows, Bump of Chicken, RADWIMPS, MONKEY MAJIK, m-flo, Rie fu, and THE MAD CAPSULE MARKETS.

Expanding on my previous post, I think J-pop and J-rock can be a little ridiculous. Some J-pop gives me cavities, and J-rock is a touch too dramatic, but that's all at their um, extremes. I'm not too particular about genres. I just go with what sounds good to me, no matter the country or whatever.

ADDING TO MY FAVORITES! RAM RIDER (yes, the guy is...yeah. XD) and Genki Rockets.
Sai

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Seven Rain wrote:And after a short talk between Final Fantasy IX fans...
Seven Rain wrote:My favorite would have to be Dark Messenger. >:3
I've always had a thing for Boss Themes.
Especially Gilgamesh! >:D

Oh, and Assault of the Silver Dragons was another one of my faves from FFIX.

Let's hope the thread does better this time. ^^;
And here's some more Hyadain Awesomeness; Ganbare Goemon Style!

yes, let's. :)

in response to your ffix music: oh, i forgot about dark messenger! i love that one! ^^ it'd be a shorter list for what music i don't like from that game. XD
and of course, vivi's theme and those others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wytuLbHYpwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHsXNkI1rfA

and to sai, that ram rider guy is pretty cool! ^^ he looks like a guy from my class...and like a guy! haha...most j-rock/pop stars i see don't look very masculine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuXMR3z3-OI

Postby Seven Rain » August 16th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I agree, that Ram Rider song was pretty cool.
They sort of remind me of FACT... Although FACT is a heavier band, so I'm sure not many will agree with me on that. XD
I really don't even know why they remind me of each other.
Seven Rain

Postby Izkata » August 17th, 2009, 11:41 am

Grabbed from my other post:
Izkata wrote:I have to agree, Megumi Hayashibara has some of the best stuff. She even does the openings/endings of (I think) one of the best anime out there, Slayers. (Both how I first heard her music and the first anime I watched in Japanese with subtitles)

Anyway, some other good Japanese artists are:
Access (Or is it AXS, pronounced "Access"? I could never figure out why I found them under two different names...)
Flow
Nico Touches the Walls (They do the newest FMA2 opening, still gotta check them out...)
Yui (First FMA2 opening, another I want to check out...)
Tamaki Nami

Like Dai-san, I prefer music I can understand at least parts of. English, I've picked up some words and learned some grammar for Japanese so I can understand parts of the songs, and Tatu has several of their songs in both English and Russian.

Although, yes, I know the words are changed to fit the music - Just like these ones:
Shakira (Spanish) - Suerte/Whenever, Wherever (I got into her music before she was big in the US, so everyone was confused when I sang this one in the wrong language =^_^=)
Lisa Komine (Japanese) - Sora ni Saku/Faith (Both openings were used in Rental Magica, and have rather different meanings)
Izkata

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2009, 2:45 pm

oh i love yui's fma2 opening. :D it's so awesome and she sings so fast! haha. no, but my friend did a fandub of the opening, so i saw how hard it is to sing that fast and still sound like you're singing words. XD

Postby Kiiroi » August 17th, 2009, 3:01 pm

I love japanese and korean music. My favourite singer is BoA, but I also like other groups and singers like Lia, X-Japan or FT Island. :lol: I'm so in love with asian music!

PS.: If you want to try something new, you should listen to ELLEGARDEN. They sing almost all their songs in English and they are pretty good.
Kiiroi

Postby Imi » August 17th, 2009, 3:34 pm

No one's mentioned Asian Kung-Fu Generation yet ):

They're probably my favourite Japanese band, though they're not rock or pop, more indie, I guess. They're great, though, and a lot of their songs are really catchy. I also love Miyavi, because he's....Miyavi, and I'm partial to a bit of Gackt on occasion, because I really like over-the-top music, and those two are pretty good at that, haha (they're also pretty, pretty boys).

Those three are the only ones I've bothered to buy albums of, but others I like are Yui (mainly for her openings), Orange Range and a lot of Nobuo Uematsu's stuff.
Imi

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Imi wrote:No one's mentioned Asian Kung-Fu Generation yet ):

yuh-huh. you just did. :)

Imi wrote:They're probably my favourite Japanese band, though they're not rock or pop, more indie, I guess. They're great, though, and a lot of their songs are really catchy. I also love Miyavi, because he's....Miyavi, and I'm partial to a bit of Gackt on occasion, because I really like over-the-top music, and those two are pretty good at that, haha (they're also pretty, pretty boys).

Those three are the only ones I've bothered to buy albums of, but others I like are Yui (mainly for her openings), Orange Range and a lot of Nobuo Uematsu's stuff.

last part = win. lol and miyavi's pretty cool; i have a few singles from him on my computer, thanks to a friend who didn't tell me what it was. XD but i can only really listen to gackt for "longing" or "redemption," and even then, in my opinion this girl did redemption better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfmCMhFW4pA

Postby sentiashinou » August 17th, 2009, 6:40 pm

I don't know a whole lot of jPop artists, but does anyone else like Amano Tsukiko? She did the ending themes to the second, third and fourth games in the Fatal Frame series... Though those aren't her favorite songs of mine.

Just curious, does anyone listen to jPop for the lyrics? Do you go out and find translations of songs if you don't understand them? I think one of the things I like best about Amano Tsukiko is her lyrics, so I feel funny recommending her to people... but at the same time deep lyrics are hard to translate, haha.
sentiashinou

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 17th, 2009, 6:56 pm

sentiashinou wrote:Just curious, does anyone listen to jPop for the lyrics? Do you go out and find translations of songs if you don't understand them? I think one of the things I like best about Amano Tsukiko is her lyrics, so I feel funny recommending her to people... but at the same time deep lyrics are hard to translate, haha.

Of the few songs I have I actually just sing along mimicking the sound of the words, which probably renders them incomprehensible to anyone who even speaks the language. XD
I don't usually pay that much attention to the content of any lyrics really...
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby trenton_dawn » August 17th, 2009, 7:10 pm

sentiashinou wrote:I don't know a whole lot of jPop artists, but does anyone else like Amano Tsukiko? She did the ending themes to the second, third and fourth games in the Fatal Frame series... Though those aren't her favorite songs of mine.

Just curious, does anyone listen to jPop for the lyrics? Do you go out and find translations of songs if you don't understand them? I think one of the things I like best about Amano Tsukiko is her lyrics, so I feel funny recommending her to people... but at the same time deep lyrics are hard to translate, haha.

Yeah, I look the lyrics up--I know it would bug me to no end if I didn't. Even when I forget them, I figure that I at least got the general idea of what the song is about.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2009, 10:48 pm

trenton_dawn wrote:
sentiashinou wrote:I don't know a whole lot of jPop artists, but does anyone else like Amano Tsukiko? She did the ending themes to the second, third and fourth games in the Fatal Frame series... Though those aren't her favorite songs of mine.

Yeah, I look the lyrics up--I know it would bug me to no end if I didn't. Even when I forget them, I figure that I at least got the general idea of what the song is about.

i do that for songs i know aren't like "vanilla," (gackt) though those are pretty easy to spot...especially if i'm in an especially dorky mood and decide to make an amv to the song.

Return to General Discussion