Mods?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Mods?

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 12:29 am

*(sorry if this is in the wrong spot. it's out of curiosity and not really for "help" of any specific type, so... ^^;)

i'm just sort of curious, since i've never seen any green-highlighted names here: are there really mods here? all i ever see are help-desk users and the admin.

please forgive me if this seems a little noob-ish. ^^;

Re: Mods?

Postby Seven Rain » August 18th, 2009, 12:42 am

Nah, no mods. That's why a lot of the users have been posting stuff like "I miss mods," and whatnot.
As for why there isn't, I wouldn't know.

Hopefully not for lack of volunteers, 'cuz it seems like a lot of the veteran members would make great mods.
Sonic-ock wrote:Been a while, made a lot of really great friends here. I love this community and I love you guys, it's been so real...
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 12:45 am

well, there hasn't been a great need for mods until just recently..

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 12:50 am

Vinuu wrote:well, there hasn't been a great need for mods until just recently..

that's one of the reasons i asked.... ^^;

Postby Pyroman » August 18th, 2009, 2:30 am

I don't wish to speak for Dan here, so hopefully he will come and clear this up, but as far as I know this is why:

So far, we haven't needed mods. Yes there have been a few hiccups along the road, but for the most part Dan has been doing a bang up job on his own. Sure, some things might be done a day quicker, or threads could be moved 'that very instant,' but honestly these are minor quibbles on an otherwise excellent forum. As far as I can see we don't need mods right now. This forum is amazingly self-sufficient because we have a close-knit group of people that understand the rules and have an incentive to abide by them (that is, to keep a healthy community going).
In the old forums, Mods did a lot more than just run the forums, which in some ways was a mistake, and in others was awesome. From what I know, Dan is currently rewriting a more definite set of Mod Rules, and gaining a more solid understanding of both what he wants Mods to do, and what actually needs to be done anyway. Right now, the forums are fairly peaceful. We'd at most need one or two mods, and their jobs would almost solely be to move around or lock bogus threads.

In addition, it's difficult to choose who should be a moderator. Moderators need to be shining examples of what forum conduct should be; they have to be active, friendly --but firm, have a good command of the English language, be good decision makers, and perhaps most important of all need to be able to connect with the community. Mods are Role Models to the community and need to show leadership (often beyond their years). If people have no respect for you, they aren't going to listen when you attempt to enforce the rules.

Now have a think. How many people do you know on the forums (hell, even in real life) that fit that description? I can only think of a handful at best, and choosing which ones I think would make good moderators is hard even from there.

Anyway I'm rambling a bit here. Mods will be instated if Dan feels the need. Right now the questions to ask yourself are this: Do we really need mods; and If so, why?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby tezzle » August 18th, 2009, 8:17 am

In 2009 a forum moderation unit was sent to prison by an interwebs court for a crime they didn’t commit. These mods promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Smack Jeeves underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the M-Team.

Just kidding...sadly. Yeah, we don't need mods at the moment. The forum is in an era of peace. But should that peace ever be disturbed, and newbies threaten the sanctity of Smack Jeeves, Admin will turn to his trusty comic-relief robot and says "Alpha! The newbies have escaped! Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!" "Ey-yi-yi, Admin!"

And I'd say make Gib a mod, but let's face it...no one would be safe.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Seven Rain » August 18th, 2009, 8:20 am

tezzle wrote:In 2009 a forum moderation unit was sent to prison by an interwebs court for a crime they didn’t commit. These mods promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Smack Jeeves underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the M-Team.

Just kidding...sadly. Yeah, we don't need mods at the moment. The forum is in an era of peace. But should that peace ever be disturbed, and newbies threaten the sanctity of Smack Jeeves, Admin will turn to his trusty comic-relief robot and says "Alpha! The newbies have escaped! Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!" "Ey-yi-yi, Admin!"

And I'd say make Gib a mod, but let's face it...no one would be safe.

I love you. Twice.
Seven Rain

Postby Pyroman » August 18th, 2009, 8:34 am

ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 18th, 2009, 9:00 am

Pyroman wrote:http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9382/mteam.png

Wait, who's who then?
I'm trying to picture cutething as either Hannibal or B.A., but it's a tough call...
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Gibson Twist » August 18th, 2009, 12:56 pm

So is this the part where we all start nominating people to be new mods and then we start voting and shit and then someone gets themselves an anus wound because said they would be a good mod and someone else acts all shy because someone nominated them but then gets pissy because someone else said they wouldn't and then a spriter nominates himself "for the lulz" and then Dan shows up and says "Why are you voting? This isn't a democracy. What the hell is wrong with you?" and then everyone feels stupid?

'Cos I vote for Tezzle.
Gibson Twist

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 1:16 pm

tezzle wrote:In 2009 a forum moderation unit was sent to prison by an interwebs court for a crime they didn’t commit. These mods promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Smack Jeeves underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the M-Team.

....okay....i should really think before i start a thread....though that is awesome. XD haha

tezzle wrote:Just kidding...sadly. Yeah, we don't need mods at the moment. The forum is in an era of peace. But should that peace ever be disturbed, and newbies threaten the sanctity of Smack Jeeves, Admin will turn to his trusty comic-relief robot and says "Alpha! The newbies have escaped! Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!" "Ey-yi-yi, Admin!"

ah. this is the largest forum i've ever been on that can say that....

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 1:51 pm

BATMAN FOR MODERATOR.

I know what it takes to protect a city.

And a forum.

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Batman wrote:BATMAN FOR MODERATOR.

I know what it takes to protect a city.

And a forum.

i was waiting for you to show up. XD

so is tezzle or gibson twist harvey dent?

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Molly-sama wrote:so is tezzle or gibson twist harvey dent?

Tezzle is Batgirl

Gibson Twist is the Arnold Schwarzenegger version Mr. Freeze who makes ice related puns. Because he's "cool."

Postby eddygazilion » August 18th, 2009, 3:14 pm

BATMAN FOR MOD
I have a website! Check it out - viciouslightbulb.com
eddygazilion

Next

Return to General Discussion