The Anime Appeal

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: The Anime Appeal

Postby tezzle » August 19th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Anime are cartoons from Japan. Manga are comics from Japan. I group them in with every other cartoon & comic. I judge it accordingly. They have their own cliches and conventions, sure, but with the way pop-culture that previously stopped at national borders is spreading all over the world and everyone regardless of location is seeing it along with their home-town stuff, the lines are blurring. Now we've got anime-inspired cartoons, adaptations, parodies, etc. You can't judge something based on where it's from, because now it's everywhere. The point is, I don't care where it's from. It's either entertaining, or it isn't.

And that Wolverine anime trailer was very anime-cliche...except for the mullet. What's up with the mullet? Has Wolverine ever had a giant mullet? Will Deadpool be involved in this? Yes, it could've been any Marvel adaptation and I would've asked if it had Deadpool. I want to see him break the 4th wall with anime jokes.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby Gibson Twist » August 19th, 2009, 12:28 pm

gun21 wrote:I'm a huge Cash fan, but consider his work as folk music that unfortunately gets lumped with garbage simply because the title "Country" sells more.

You're the only one, man.
Gibson Twist

Postby trenton_dawn » August 19th, 2009, 3:01 pm

gun21 wrote:I'm a huge Cash fan, but consider his work as folk music that unfortunately gets lumped with garbage simply because the title "Country" sells more.

Yeah, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree with any of it.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby misuzu » August 19th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Once again, Gib smacks us on the ass with the firm hand of wisdom (and awesomeness.)

Seriously, I grew up like anyone else watching saturday morning cartoons and the oldies like Bugs. Loved them, still do, but when anime got introduced to me via dubs like Sailor moon and DBZ, my mouth fell open at the heavier violence and implied nudity. The closest I'd ever seen to that in a western toon was in the '90s Batman series, whch was still pretty tame. With the logic of a child, I almost completely shut myself up to western made toons and comic books. As I grew up, realized that there's an equal amount of gold and crap on both sides.

FLCL- The animation is some of the best I've seen anywhere. The story, if a little wonky, is fun and complex, even to be such a short show.

'90s Batman- I personally find it aestectically pleasing, and the story was slightly darker and easier to follow than some of the other toons in those days. The newer toon, "The Batman" just doesn't have quite the same feel.

Now lets look at some crap...

Reign: The Conqueror- Say what you want, but I hated this anime. I really tried to like it it, but I could never like it at all. It was weird. Just about everyone looked to same to me. Just wtf?

The Ledgend of Zelda '89-(given this was based on Japanese media) "Excuuuuuse me, princess" was the best thing we got outta this monster. Christ crackers.

Those are just my opinions though.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
misuzu

Postby IDONTKNOWCORP » August 19th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:early Crash Test Dummies

:D
IDONTKNOWCORP

Previous

Return to General Discussion