The Anime Appeal

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: The Anime Appeal

Postby DragonHat » August 18th, 2009, 3:32 pm

I don't worship Japan, but I like the aesthetic of Anime better than most (but definitely not all) western cartoons. The art, to me, is much better. Like, I would prefer to watch... I dunno, Naruto over Phineas and Ferb any day of the week on art quality alone. The art on that show almost makes me sick.

The stories in anime/manga are also more varied, which I really, really like. But there are western cartoons that have brilliant story-lines as well.

So, I guess it boils down to: If it's good, I'll watch it.
DragonHat

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 3:36 pm

DragonHat wrote:I don't worship Japan, but I like the aesthetic of Anime better than most (but definitely not all) western cartoons. The art, to me, is much better. Like, I would prefer to watch... I dunno, Naruto over Phineas and Ferb any day of the week on art quality alone.

Thank god for Batman: Brave and the Bold right?

Postby Seven Rain » August 18th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Concerning Batman and Anime, I'm surprised THIS hasn't been mentioned yet.
I remember it being pretty badass, especially the two Madhouse stories.
Seven Rain

Postby ApaFox » August 18th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Concerning Batman and Anime, I'm surprised THIS hasn't been mentioned yet.

I only saw a segment of that, and I gotta say it was pretty good in my opinion. Speaking of american super-heroes and anime, has anyone seen this?
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Most of the artwork I see in animes with more then 13-24 episodes is usually poorly done, with the same shots used over and over again. It isn't because eastern artists are bad, its just because its more efficient to do this to cut down animation time when you're making over 100 episodes. In this light, most of the Western cartoons I see are superior. Plus...western comics are just..theres just no comparison really. They're so wonderful.

Postby Sai » August 18th, 2009, 8:15 pm

ApaFox wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Concerning Batman and Anime, I'm surprised THIS hasn't been mentioned yet.

I only saw a segment of that, and I gotta say it was pretty good in my opinion. Speaking of american super-heroes and anime, has anyone seen this?

I'd much rather watch the Iron Man animu. <3

I honestly like both, though I think manga appeals to me more aesthetic-wise than western comics, and I apply those aesthetics I like into my art. Another reason why I'm more into manga is that I just never really caught onto a lot of western comics' storytelling. Also, it's a bit daunting to figure out where to start when finding something new to read, though I do have a few western books since I love the art. Alex Ross is my fucking hero. Really, I just pick out what I like out of both. <:
Sai

Postby MacSimon » August 18th, 2009, 8:44 pm

I don't find Manga as appealing as some friends of mine are, and it's because i hate to see the same kind of expressions, faces and positions in every manga/anime.

How do you begin working on manga/anime style? Some people copy some work of other people to learn the anatomy of the picture. (Not actually sure that's the only way around, but still, it's the only one people showed me so far.)
I think it's better to start a character design from scratch, using our own imagination on a possible anatomy, including bones, muscles, organs and such. Yeah, it probably adds more work to a comic yet to be done, but if you succeed, who knows, maybe you'll develop your own style of art. :1
MacSimon

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2009, 9:12 pm

MacSimon wrote:I don't find Manga as appealing as some friends of mine are, and it's because i hate to see the same kind of expressions, faces and positions in every manga/anime.

How do you begin working on manga/anime style? Some people copy some work of other people to learn the anatomy of the picture. (Not actually sure that's the only way around, but still, it's the only one people showed me so far.)
I think it's better to start a character design from scratch, using our own imagination on a possible anatomy, including bones, muscles, organs and such. Yeah, it probably adds more work to a comic yet to be done, but if you succeed, who knows, maybe you'll develop your own style of art. :1

That's really my big issue with anime/manga, sometimes all the character look alike other than their hair and eyes.

Postby Gibson Twist » August 18th, 2009, 9:29 pm

MacSimon wrote:I don't find Manga as appealing as some friends of mine are, and it's because i hate to see the same kind of expressions, faces and positions in every manga/anime.

How do you begin working on manga/anime style? Some people copy some work of other people to learn the anatomy of the picture.

What you're describing can be applied to western illustration just as easily. Pretty much everyone starts by emulating someone else, and some develop their own styles and some don't. You're kidding yourself if you think there is any difference between east and west by that standard. And I don't think there are many comic artists who consider organs when developing a style.
Gibson Twist

Postby MillieQOF » August 19th, 2009, 5:09 am

I like the way manga is told. The layouts, the storylines, sometimes the art but not in all cases, sometimes the pretty boys. I'm currently exploring the world of Western comics, since when you've read manga long enough you notice the storylines start getting a bit repetitive, and I've found a couple of great ones. Just like I've found a couple of great manga series in the sea of japanese crap.
MillieQOF

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2009, 8:37 am

gun21 wrote:The only genre that can be explicitly described as shit is country music.

Seriously, there isn't one good country song in the world.

FURY.

I don't see anime/manga as better than other art styles, or other art styles as better than anime/manga because every artist is different. I wouldn't say Eric Carles work was better than Hayao Miyazaki's or the other way round. They all have their own merits and flaws... as well as their own target audiences.

But The Very Hungry Caterpillar is very awesome.

Postby Seven Rain » August 19th, 2009, 8:51 am

The Wolverine and Ironman animes both look insanely awesome. Go Madhouse! o_O
Although I think they'd probably be better as movies instead of series...

(Eheh... And uh, sorry about the country-bashing, Sharky... ^^;)
Seven Rain

Postby Gibson Twist » August 19th, 2009, 9:50 am

gun21 wrote:Seriously, there isn't one good country song in the world.

Good lord, this is so horribly untrue. Folsom Prison Blues alone blows this theory to hell, not to mention the rest of Johnny Cash's work, including some pretty cool stuff he did with The Highwaymen. Hell, Johnny even took songs from other genres and did them better as country tunes. then you've got Kentucky Headhunters, Alison Krauss, Goober and The Peas, Hank Williams III and so on. The stuff produced out of Canada is excellent, for the most part. Blue Rodeo, early Crash Test Dummies, Neko Case, etc. Then there's the voluminous amount of rock with heavy country influence, especially groups like Skynyrd. Anyone who thinks this is true just doesn't know music.
Last edited by Gibson Twist on August 19th, 2009, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gibson Twist

Postby Afrohawkman » August 19th, 2009, 10:04 am

Eh. I'd say I watch anime because there's really no other good Western Cartoons on, but I'd be partially lying. Not about the cartoons, they mostly suck nowadays, but that anime just has a good amount of appeal for me. I pretty much like the art style and how anime can sometimes go a little bit farther in their works due to less censors (and less angry parents). I'm pretty much an old school cartoon lover, so I appreciate the random violence and mayhem that can sometimes occur in Anime where it doesn't in newer Western cartoons. That's just my opinion.

gun21 wrote:Seriously, there isn't one good country song in the world.

You have fun with that opinion of yours, sir.
Afrohawkman

Postby gun21 » August 19th, 2009, 10:44 am

Gibson Twist wrote:Good lord, this is so horribly untrue. Folsom Prison Blues alone blows this theor :? y to hell, not to mention the rest of Johnny Cash's work

I'm a huge Cash fan, but consider his work as folk music that unfortunately gets lumped with garbage simply because the title "Country" sells more.
gun21

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion