About Tablets...

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

About Tablets...

Postby Aida » August 18th, 2009, 2:41 am

Hi! I'm thinking of getting myself a drawing tablet sooner or later, but apparently there's many kinds of them. So I thought asking how you like your tablet and any recommendations? Thanks!
Aida

Re: About Tablets...

Postby trenton_dawn » August 18th, 2009, 2:46 am

What's your price range? If it's your first tablet, you might look into one of the cheap Wacom tablets, to see if it's really what you want. You can get them for under $100.
Gaia, a fantasy comic
Ghost, an online novel — Sketchbook thread — deviantArt
Need assistance with anything? Feel free to PM me.
Seven Rain wrote:Trenton speaks words of wisdom.
trenton_dawn

Postby Imi » August 18th, 2009, 3:21 am

There's a discussion in this thread about pen tablets you might be interested in, which has covered a lot of different makes and usages!

In the first main post, scroll down until you see the section on Digital vs Traditional. Pen Tablets are covered under that. The rest of the thread has posts about it in, so flicking through my be a good idea. Hope it helps!
Imi

Postby Aida » August 18th, 2009, 3:39 am

Cool. Thanks for quick answers^^
Aida

Postby AyaneSensei » August 18th, 2009, 5:11 am

I personally use the cheapest of the Wacom tablets "Bamboo".
For me it get the job done, even if it is small. :]
I've recommend it to my teachers and they love it too! xD
I got it for $50 on Amazon, sometimes the price gets lower, so visit the site often.
AyaneSensei

Postby Pyroman » August 18th, 2009, 7:04 am

As an amateur, the cheaper the better. Honestly, for the most part it's not the tools you have, but the skill with which you use them. I have a shitty, very old Graphire Wacom (which I don't even think they make anymore, having been replaced by Bamboo), and it works just fine. Sure there are things that piss me right off about it, such as how it loses sensitivity at low drag speeds, how it is always just too small for that straight line and how I sometimes have to plug it in and out to make the pressure work, but it does what I need.

Once you start to become very good, and I'm talking industry-hired good, that's when you invest in a massive tablet (or *sparkle* a Cintiq). Once you start to depend on those lines being perfect, and that tilt being exact: That's when you need something expensive. While you are at a novice level, learning how to use the board, go as cheap as you possibly can (without forfeiting function, haha).
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Return to General Discussion