SAI and Art Rage

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

SAI and Art Rage

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2009, 3:20 pm

I don't know if this is the right forum for this. If anyone can move this to the correct one, please do so.

Anyway, has anyone tried SAI and/or Artrage for colouring digitally? I've been thinking about purchasing Art rage since I've only heard good things about it, plus the interface looks pretty snazzy. I've also heard that it's quite like Corel painter.
The same thing with SAI. Has anyone used it? And I heard that it was free?(If it is free, can someone post a link to where I can download it? Please?)

one last question. Are there any free art programs out there that's kinda like painter?

Re: SAI and Art Rage

Postby Sai » May 16th, 2009, 3:35 pm

SAI is my baby, I will tell you that much. You can get a cracked version, somewhere, but I was a good kid and supported the company by buying it, lol. As for ArtRage, I tried it out a bit and I'm not a fan of the interface. Before I used SAI, I was using OpenCanvas, and the two had similar interfaces, thus I opted for SAI. Plus SAI is good for detail work and sharp inking. The one-up that ArtRage is that it's capable of emulating art media a touch better than SAI.
Sai

Postby ninjies » May 16th, 2009, 3:37 pm

i tried art rage, didn't like it. the canvas feature was really weird.
SAI is a really, really nice program. it's like a mix between photoshop and open canvas, not much like painter. you can download the japanese 1.1 version for free here, i believe: http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/ and a 30 day free trial of the english version here, which has more brushes and is slightly better: http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/ and i don't know where you can buy it, but it's only like $50.
open canvas 1.1 is a very good painting program, and it's free. you can download it here: http://wistinga.online.fr/opencanvas/ and you can usually find programs like painter x and later versions of OC on e-bay for very cheap, especially if they only have the CD and no upgrades or manual.
ninjies

Postby GreenLiquidBrain » May 17th, 2009, 7:50 am

Art Rage... it's bad. Seriously. I got it when I bought my tablet and it's just not good at all. I have Sai too, but I don't use it all that often, only when I make digital linearts which I don't very often. I usually just use good ol' freezing-up-all-the-friggin-time Photoshop. :D

So in conclusion! O:
Art Rage = bad
Sai = very good for linearts

...Also, I'd very much like to try out Painter, but I can't afford buying it... <.< ... >.> ...<.> *hint hint*
GreenLiquidBrain

Postby Guest » May 17th, 2009, 10:53 am

I downloaded the free trial version of Art Rage yesterday and I didn't like it very much, but I did like some of the features it had. The reference feature and the metallic paint feature were very nice.

I'm downlodaing the trial version of SAI, and Open canvas right now and I am looking forward to trying it.

Thanks for the input. :D

Return to General Discussion