The Past and Future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

The Past and Future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Postby Afrohawkman » September 9th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Y'know Sonic's really been kind of down recently with all the 3D junk lately let's see what this i-

WAIT. WHAT? REALLY?! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

I know what you're thinking. Too late. My hopes are already up.
Last edited by Afrohawkman on September 21st, 2009, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afrohawkman

Re: Hey look, new Sonic game

Postby Seven Rain » September 9th, 2009, 3:26 pm

It's sort of frustrating for me... It seems the more Sega tries to bring back oldschool Sonic stuff, the better the game. (I totally would've bought Unleashed had it not been for the Werehog thing...)
Yet at the same time, oldschool = no Shadow. T__T

Anyways, that aside, this could be awesome... Just... Please, no more new gimmicky game mechanics, Sega.
Seven Rain

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2009, 3:37 pm

If it plays and looks true to the original, like what capcom did with megaman 9, then its gonna be sweeet.

This will also directly affect smackjeeves, imagine all the new breed of sonic sprite comics emerging.

Postby ApaFox » September 9th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Seven Rain wrote:It's sort of frustrating for me... It seems the more Sega tries to bring back oldschool Sonic stuff, the better the game. (I totally would've bought Unleashed had it not been for the Werehog thing...)
Yet at the same time, oldschool = no Shadow. T__T

Anyways, that aside, this could be awesome... Just... Please, no more new gimmicky game mechanics, Sega.

If you look at this in theory, Sonic games have gradually gotten better(Unleashed would have been the best with* the aforementioned werehog). So it can be safe to assume that this new one might be an inch better then previous.

Edit" without*
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Another one?

Anyway, from the teaser, doesn't look entirely 2D to me, more sort of.. 3D sideways on, at least not sprites anyhow. http://www.needlemouse.com/.
I love the style though, reminds me of Dr. Seuss.
Last edited by Guest on September 9th, 2009, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby fums63 » September 9th, 2009, 3:49 pm

I'm kinda mixed about this.
I really like Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and the daytime levels of Unleashed.
I don't know what happened after Adventure 2, but the Unleashed system (for daytime...) was working well. It seemed like if they kept going in that direction, they could have a spectacular game.

Full 2D should end up well, but I hope they don't ditch 3D when they do this...
fums63

Postby kotor » September 9th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Earlier today, I sat down and thought to myself, I wanna play something fun on the DS. What's good and fun? And Sonic Rush went into the machine.

While a 2D game will probably not be taken seriously by a lot of gaming snobs, I look forward to a time when I can think to myself, I wanna play something fun on the 360, and Sonic 2D Blitz (or whatever they'll call it) will go in the machine.

After the 360 Sonic The Hedgehog, I didn't feel like Sega deserved any more chances, so I haven't bothered with Unleashed, but a 2D game? That's much more tempting...

After looking around, I'm having a hard time finding any additional evidence for this. Are we sure this isn't just some fake fan-made trailer?
kotor

Postby misuzu » September 9th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I really am so happy about this, being a sonic-whore my whole life. Classic sonic, I'm openly ashamed of what he's become. I'm looking forward to this and I hope it's better than some of the other stool they've been dropping. It's certainly ok to wanna breathe new life in a francise as old as Sonic, but don't ruin in it the process. Gilding lilies indeed.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
misuzu

Postby tezzle » September 9th, 2009, 5:46 pm

I can't do it. I won't! Too many times, Sega! You've lost your trust! How can I possibly bel-
THIS IS GONNA BE SO AWESOME!!!

...I hope.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby H0lyhandgrenade » September 9th, 2009, 6:43 pm

It may be going back to its roots but I hope I can raise up those lil' chao critters again...
H0lyhandgrenade

Postby Captain-Sheepy » September 9th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I remember a time when Sonic games were good.
Captain-Sheepy

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Well if they can just keep the crappy side characters (other than the originals) out of the game. Then there might be hope for the game. For once, I can say that they might be able to pull this off. If they stuck to the basics and nothing more.

Postby MacSimon » September 9th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Captain-Sheepy wrote:I remember a time when Sonic games were good.

I try, every morning, it's harder every day, the memories...

So, yeah, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 were the best ones in my opinion. Oh, and that first Sonic Pinball. Hilarious.
MacSimon

Postby Seven Rain » September 9th, 2009, 9:20 pm

BlueLink wrote:Well if they can just keep the crappy side characters (other than the originals) out of the game. Then there might be hope for the game. For once, I can say that they might be able to pull this off. If they stuck to the basics and nothing more.

Wait, you think it was the characters alone that made the newer games bad? o.O
I personally found newer characters great, (especially Shadow,) I just think the games go downhill when they focus too much on them instead of Sonic, and try all these weird game mechanics like the aforementioned Werehog and 'Knights with Swords' thing.
(And I thought the idea of being on a rail in Secret Rings was downright terrible... >.<)

H0lyhandgrenade wrote:It may be going back to its roots but I hope I can raise up those lil' chao critters again...

Ah I loved raising Chao in SA2. X3
Unfortunately if it's gonna be 2D I don't think there's much chance of that happening. ;_;

And on the subject of old 2D Sonic games...
Where's the Sonic CD love? Sonic Boom people!
Seven Rain

Postby gun21 » September 9th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Sonic peaked in 1994 when Sonic 3, and Knuckles was unleashed.

It required two cartridges, it was twice the price, but I'll press you hard to find any platforming game from that era that comes close how great it was.
gun21

Next

Return to General Discussion