The Past and Future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: The Past and Future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Postby gameboy+micron » January 14th, 2010, 5:28 pm

kotor wrote:
Afrohawkman wrote:Hey guys! Remember this game? Sega's been updating their blog about it, or rather, crossing out names of who's not in it. Here's the most recent pic:

Currently, Shade (from Sonic Chronicles), Amy, Tikal, Chip (from Sonic Unleashed), Charmy Bee, and Vector have been crossed out. It says on their blog that today's final day, which is weird because Big and Froggy are still in and Knuckles and Tails aren't even on that list. MORE INFORMATION SEGA!

Oh dear. I have a horrible sinking feeling that they're gonna cross Sonic off the list and make this "Mr Needlemouse" the entire basis of the game.

I think the exact opposite, I think it's gonna be just Sonic.
gameboy+micron

Postby Seven Rain » January 14th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Ooh, Shadow's gonna be in it? :3
As much as everyone disliked the Shadow the Hedgehog game, I can't bring myself to hate Sonic's resident Vegeta-character.
(Hope he's playable... Rocket boots are always fun.)
Seven Rain

Postby Jacob L » January 14th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Ooh, Shadow's gonna be in it? :3
As much as everyone disliked the Shadow the Hedgehog game, I can't bring myself to hate Sonic's resident Vegeta-character.

Shadow hasn't been confirmed yet. That image is a countdown; every day they reject more characters. There's more time left to cross out characters, so nobody on that list in for sure yet.

You can read my comic above or at http://www.1000.smackjeeves.com.

Admin wrote:Jacob got quite the sun-tan at our last party.
Jacob L

Postby ApaFox » January 14th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Here's hoping they tap into the power that help create NEW Super Mario Bros.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby tezzle » January 14th, 2010, 6:14 pm

ApaFox wrote:Here's hoping they tap into the power that help create NEW Super Mario Bros.

You mean making essentially the same game over & over with just enough differences to make it look new? That is a very good power to tap into. Nintendo's been using it for years. But I'll be damned if that's not what Sonic should've done. I mean, really, you can't really branch out with such a ridiculous premise as "blue hedgehog can break the sound barrier and runs right really fast, only stopping momentarily to jump on an obese madman's robots several times." Lord knows they tried...and failed.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby ApaFox » January 14th, 2010, 6:22 pm

tezzle wrote:
ApaFox wrote:Here's hoping they tap into the power that help create NEW Super Mario Bros.

You mean making essentially the same game over & over with just enough differences to make it look new? That is a very good power to tap into. Nintendo's been using it for years. But I'll be damned if that's not what Sonic should've done. I mean, really, you can't really branch out with such a ridiculous premise as "blue hedgehog can break the sound barrier and runs right really fast, only stopping momentarily to jump on an obese madman's robots several times." Lord knows they tried...and failed.

It's weird. Till recently I've have this premise that Sonic was some kind of alternate dimension Mario. Two simple games that branched like the ending to Ocarina of Time.

Just imagine where we'd be if Mario was skinner then before and tried to be hip, Luigi was flying airplanes and rockets and Wario wore black and packed heat.
The Deviantart Image
Mr Aids wrote:Oh my god, don't listen to Seven, he obviously knows nothing about strategy.
JUST SPANK EVERYONE.
ApaFox

Postby tezzle » January 14th, 2010, 6:23 pm

ApaFox wrote:Just imagine where we'd be if Mario was skinner then before and tried to be hip, Luigi was flying airplanes and rockets and Wario wore black and packed heat.

And then they crossed the barrier between their parallel worlds and had their own Olympics.
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby kotor » January 14th, 2010, 6:44 pm

If I remember rightly, the announcement for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games was made on March 31st. I was convinced it was an early April Fools Day joke - I'm still slightly suspicious to this day, to be honest.

As for the Mario/Sonic evoution of gameplay, I remember wishing they had opposite business strategies for the GBA. Nintendo kept releasing old Mario games when I wanted a new one, while Sega kept releasing new Sonic games when all I wanted was the old ones. Funny that.

Personally, I've not been too impressed with either character's transition to 3D. Getting back to two dimensions is probably best for both of them.
kotor

Postby Seven Rain » January 14th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Jacob L wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Ooh, Shadow's gonna be in it? :3

Shadow hasn't been confirmed yet. That image is a countdown; every day they reject more characters. There's more time left to cross out characters, so nobody on that list in for sure yet.

Ahh, I see... Well then, fingers crossed. (If not Shadow, I'd at least like to see Big... Poor fellow, I must be the only series fan who likes Big... :<)
Seven Rain

Postby Afrohawkman » January 14th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Seven Rain wrote:Ahh, I see... Well then, fingers crossed. (If not Shadow, I'd at least like to see Big... Poor fellow, I must be the only series fan who likes Big... :<)

What specifically did you like about Big the Cat? The levels themselves? The character? It's sort of weird to see Big fans because I thought he really slowed down Sonic Adventure and plenty of people agree, but then there are people who like him as a character. So I thought I'd ask.

Also: I'm not entirely sure on this, but Sega did post that this was the FINAL DAY for the countdown. It says it on the blog, but I want to wait until tomorrow to find out.
Afrohawkman

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Sonic is the hero
Tails is the sidekick
Dr. Robotnik is the villain (It's Robotnik not "Eggman"!)
Knuckles is the anti-hero
Those are the only characters that should be in a good Sonic game (in my opinion)
And maybe Amy as the damsel-in-distress and Metal Sonic as the doppelganger
The problem with (most of) the newer games is that they have so many damn characters and they spend the whole game developing them and their ridiculous backstories to the point where the developers just forget about the game itself.
The important thing to remember is that there is only one thing that Sonic should never do: slow down.

Postby tezzle » January 14th, 2010, 8:41 pm

WorkSucksMedia wrote:The important thing to remember is that there is only one thing that Sonic should never do: slow down.

"Hi there. How's it going?"
I'm Tooch now.
tezzle

Postby MacSimon » January 14th, 2010, 8:49 pm

WorkSucksMedia wrote:Sonic is the hero
Tails is the sidekick
Dr. Robotnik is the villain (It's Robotnik not "Eggman"!)
Knuckles is the anti-hero
Those are the only characters that should be in a good Sonic game (in my opinion)
And maybe Amy as the damsel-in-distress and Metal Sonic as the doppelganger
The problem with (most of) the newer games is that they have so many damn characters and they spend the whole game developing them and their ridiculous backstories to the point where the developers just forget about the game itself.
The important thing to remember is that there is only one thing that Sonic should never do: slow down.

This.
Also, i liked the puzzles that appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and 2...The blue spheres, the huge rings...good times.
MacSimon

Postby Seven Rain » January 14th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Afrohawkman wrote:
Seven Rain wrote:Ahh, I see... Well then, fingers crossed. (If not Shadow, I'd at least like to see Big... Poor fellow, I must be the only series fan who likes Big... :<)

What specifically did you like about Big the Cat? The levels themselves? The character? It's sort of weird to see Big fans because I thought he really slowed down Sonic Adventure and plenty of people agree, but then there are people who like him as a character. So I thought I'd ask.

Also: I'm not entirely sure on this, but Sega did post that this was the FINAL DAY for the countdown. It says it on the blog, but I want to wait until tomorrow to find out.

I mainly liked him as a character. :3
I did enjoy the fishing levels but I just plain like fishing in games, and I can understand most fans not liking the fishing levels. They were pretty out of place in SA. XD
Seven Rain

Postby kotor » January 15th, 2010, 8:04 am

I did the Big levels of SA simply to get to Super Sonic. I did not replay them, I have no intention of ever replaying them.

I imagine if I ever get Unleashed, I'll play the night levels for much the same reason.

How hard is it, Sega? We don't need fifteen new characters every game, we just want to run fast, collect rings and smash badniks!
kotor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion