is this your first comic?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: is this your first comic?

Postby MK_Wizard » October 21st, 2017, 10:30 am

Judging by these comments, I guess people go through several ideas before they find one they want to stick with.
ImageImage
MK_Wizard

Postby eishiya » October 21st, 2017, 11:01 am

MK_Wizard wrote:Judging by these comments, I guess people go through several ideas before they find one they want to stick with.

Comics take so long to make that even that Great Idea Worth Doing can become cringeworthy before the comic's done. Authors grow and their tastes change faster than they can produce their comics. That's why so many people abandon their comics, especially their earlier ones made before they figure out how to filter out the worst ideas and how to make even a bad idea work.

Many people's first few comics aren't even attempts to find something to stick with, either - but rather trying out the medium, or trying out storytelling in general. A lot of my school friends made little comics about their OCs, they never went anywhere with them because they didn't care to. My first comic was a single page strip back in 8th-ish year in school, it was about some fuzzball that moved around by farting. I knew full well it wasn't something I'd make more of, I just had a dumb idea and wanted to get it out.

However, back then I had already started thinking about the story that would eventually become my first webcomic, so in a way what would be my 2nd or 3rd comic (depending how you count a scrapped early draft that had a different title) predates my first comic. And that same idea will be my... Nth comic, too - I still want to make it in the future. Back when I tried before, I didn't have the necessary skills. My comics since have pretty much all been practice comics in one way or another for this one idea, too. So, for me at least, it really hasn't been about finding an idea I want to stick with, but getting good enough to actually draw an idea I've had for many years.

To answer the actual topic question: Nope, my current comic is not my first, as you might have already guessed. I haven't finished any non-one-shot comics before though, so hopefully this can be my first finished one.
eishiya

Postby Randomladyaj » October 23rd, 2017, 7:38 pm

This is my first serious comic. I made old throwaway comics for school and or personal reasons but they are pretty much gone.
Randomladyaj

Postby snowwhistle » October 23rd, 2017, 8:15 pm

I've toyed with comic ideas before, but this is the first work I've actually gotten around to forming more than a half-baked idea for and I've actually posted this one online so I count it as my first.

I guess when I was between 8 and 10 I did draw a comic strip for myself, but reading them again I've found that aside from having absolutely terrible art (no shock there) that every strip was either completely nonsensical or blatantly plagiarized its premise from a cartoon or movie I was into at the time.
Last edited by eishiya on October 23rd, 2017, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't link to your comic here. You can use the Self-Promotion forum and your signature for that.
snowwhistle

Postby creca » October 23rd, 2017, 11:29 pm

i had plenty of other ideas, but they never quite came to be so to speak, most of them either lost my intrest or never really advanced beyond the point of a few pages(in the case of my mspaint forums comics before the site shut down)
just your average bug loving biologist aspi

creca

Postby thelordbaeron » October 27th, 2017, 9:15 am

I've been drawing comics since I was a kid, but this is the first one I've ever put honest effort into digitizing and posting.

I pretty much started with having no clue what I was doing, and just kinda learning as I go. It's been quite the experience.
thelordbaeron

Postby JakiraJurosawa » October 27th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Yes :3 my first(that I haven't been started yet:3)
JakiraJurosawa

Postby Darksh1ne » October 31st, 2017, 5:51 pm

This one is far from first! Previously there was an original version of "Monstroniverse adventures" which I count as its own comic, even if it will never see the light of day again; "The grey outcast", which is currently on uncertain pause; 3 parts of "Witch who never lies" about a character of mine from GW2 game. All 3 parts are finished, and that comic was my first practice at drawing with a tablet. One more unfinished, very short comic that I was drawing in MS Paint with a mouse, inspired by the game Rift, but, unfortunately it got lost somewhere.
There are also a few comics from my distant childhood, a strange adventure of a dinosaur monster on some alien planet, and.... a Tails adventure comic from the times when I was a big fan of Sonic games on Sega. Unfortunately neither on these 2 are also available, as I'd have trouble finding them in the piles of junk in the village. May be one day. May be.
Darksh1ne

Postby tentacletomato » November 8th, 2017, 2:44 am

Technically my second. But my first was only 5 pages of one-offs....and not very good ones. This is something I'm actually putting thought into and plan to finish. I'm surprised I've gotten this far ^^
tentacletomato

Postby Emevsa » November 16th, 2017, 6:34 am

This is my first collaborative effort but not my first webcomic. The first one went on hiatus for years and only really recently did I begin attempting to finish it. :D
Emevsa

Postby Kyt Cordell » November 16th, 2017, 11:13 pm

My first actual project is Almost Never. I had no idea what I was doing when I started drawing this. I had actually attempted a more cinematically styled version of it ages ago but gave up. I've improved a lot at drawing and understanding panel flow since then.

I started Behind These Birchwood Walls after. I ended up doing this one in a much more storyboarded sort of style because the world is smaller and I can afford to do that. I honestly like the art and such a lot more.
Last edited by eishiya on November 17th, 2017, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't link to your comic here. You can use the Self-Promotion forum and your signature for that.
Kyt Cordell

Postby Virtual Wombat » December 9th, 2017, 11:17 am

This is the first time I've ever tried to make comics yes.

I used to draw all the time. When I was growing up I was usually doing one of two things in my spare time, drawing or building contraptions out of Lego. When I met my (now) wife and we moved in together, responsibilities started taking more and more time and then little 'un arrived. Suffice is to say that my time just evaporated and so did my artwork along with it.

This year I was promoted at work and my pay went up while my hours went down, so I now only work three or four days a week. This was my opportunity to get creative again and I knew if there was a goal, something to aim for and an audience to appreciate what I was doing that I would find the time to draw again.

It's definitely working, I'm having tomes of fun and will never put myself in a situation again where I sacrifice what I love just for a salary.
Aaron | Virtual Wombat Webcomic
W: www.virtualwombat.co.uk

Virtual Wombat

Postby KandyGold » December 10th, 2017, 1:33 pm

I made some really stupid & ugly comics that I drew on regular white printer paper. I made so many that I'd bring em to school (middle school) and I'd share them with my friends. They thought they were cool. So I guess this is not my first comic but I just think the first ones were so damn ugly :? :lol:
The comic I'm about to post is what I'd consider my first real attempt at making a comic worth looking at, it has a coherent story and is not random and stupid. I cant wait to share soon.
KandyGold

Postby collective awe » December 11th, 2017, 7:09 am

All the members of our Collective works in the comic industry.
So we've got a lot of experience in webcomic. Comic are our Life (and we are lucky too, we know). XD

For me, in particular, Samsara is my first webcomic and my first REALLY PERSONAL project.
With not publisher limitations.

I drew more or less 2000+ pages during my career. But nothing is beautiful like working on my own ideas. <3
Our work is dedicated to those who believe in love, those who tirelessly pursue happiness.
collective awe

Previous

Return to General Discussion