is this your first comic?

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: is this your first comic?

Postby ShaRose49 » October 22nd, 2018, 4:10 pm

This is actually the third time I’ve done a Sunstrike and Bluemist comic, but the first time I’ve done it digitally. I’m redoing the episodes I did before, with new scenes and things happening differently.
Last edited by eishiya on October 22nd, 2018, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't link to your website here. You can use your signature for that.
ShaRose49

Postby MasterComic » October 22nd, 2018, 5:52 pm

No, my first comic I made was a sprite comic I made as a kid. It was called Nintendo League - you follow the adventures of Kirby, Luigi, Fox, and Falco as they try to defeat the evil Dark Kirby.

I thought it would be fun to remake it once I had some know-how with Photoshop, so the first comic I put on SmackJeeves was League, basically and updated version of the Nintendo League.

Eventually, I grew bored with the idea. The comic I have up on the site now is a CYOA comic that I draw in pixel style. I took a long hiatus, but I feel like working on it some more soon.

If I ever finish Cup of Olea, maybe I will try something hand drawn. We'll have to wait and see.
Cup of Olea is an interactive webcomic. YOU decide what Cliff does!
To play, simply go to the latest page and submit a command! It's easy~
MasterComic

Postby dyohna » November 24th, 2018, 5:09 pm

My first comic was a few years ago on webtoons cause I wanted to prove to myself that I could make a long running comic and update consistently. It was about a couple of space adventurers and their adventures in space. It was a success, I updated weekly for around 2-3 years and I learned a lot of things but the problem was I started it with "test" characters who I wasn't completely invested in and didn't flesh out at all and I felt myself not wanting to write for who I essentially didn't know. At that point I was devising plans for my current comic so my interest kept getting ripped away, as well as other irl things keeping me from working on it. I felt bad cause a lot of people seemed to like this story but I personally couldn't get into it. I ended it by telling everyone what would've happened if I could finish it.
Phew, that's a load off! Even this comic is technically a restart because I didn't like the art direction when I was about 10 pages in. Even thought this one isn't as popular as the other one, its got more of my heart and I'm happy this is the direction I went :^)
dyohna

Postby eishiya » November 24th, 2018, 5:37 pm

dyohna wrote:Even thought this one isn't as popular as the other one, its got more of my heart and I'm happy this is the direction I went :^)

Hopefully with time, this one will catch up! Comics that have their author's love are so much better, and I think readers can usually sense that in the long run.
(And welcome to SJ!)
eishiya

Postby dyohna » November 24th, 2018, 7:24 pm

eishiya wrote:Hopefully with time, this one will catch up! Comics that have their author's love are so much better, and I think readers can usually sense that in the long run.
(And welcome to SJ!)

Thank you, I really hope so!
dyohna

Postby MagpieMortician » January 4th, 2019, 3:50 am

Despondency isn't my first first, but it's the first comic I'm determined to follow through with. I have several before this one called Child of the Reaper, I Love You Dear Friend, and one called something like... Cheshire but it was a looooong time ago.
MagpieMortician

Postby MaruExposito » January 4th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Windy Lightning is not my first comic. I did some fan comics/strips, traditional unfinished stuff, digital pages and shorts for contests and so on. They were projects that took a few days or a month at most.

However, it is the one I have been the more consistent and serious about. I really want to share this story at my best ability!! :)
Webcomic + Anime
What if your magic separates you from who you love?
MaruExposito

Postby Hero of Grimland » January 5th, 2019, 6:39 pm

My current comic is not my first. I used to make old comics when I was much much younger, but they weren't very good at all. I then made another comic digitally but it was terrible artistically, even though slowly but surely I became better at drawing with it. And I drew it with a mouse! I became really good at using it so much that I continued to draw with a mouse. The first 10 or so pages of my comic PORCELAIN are done with a mouse. But it didn't last because it is really tiring. However the upcoming pages will be drawn with this new tablet Santa brought me.
Hero of Grimland

Postby leegi » January 12th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Elodie is the first comic I've shared, but not the first I've made. I don't know if anyone can relate but I've had series that I scrapped because halfway along I didn't agree with what I was writing anymore lol
leegi

Postby Kyulein » January 13th, 2019, 5:25 am

I've made comics since I was 11-ish to varying degrees of quality... First shared among my friends and then when I was about 15-ish I started sharing online. Still to varying degrees of quality. They were mostly a thing for when I had the time and muse to work on them, which was infrequent and lackluster.

But Soul's Journey in it's current form has been the first I took to more serious heights, as in the first that stuck to an update schedule for 4 years, that was written as a whole (though much changed since I started still) and that I've put any effort into promoting to a wider audience. So in a way it's the first comic project that got proper attention and a will to finish it. It's some sort of first :)
Kyulein

Postby Famimatsu » January 13th, 2019, 11:05 am

I'm another negative, though in a sense IPN is a rewrite of my first comic I made back in high school. It used the same characters going on a very similar adventure, the only problem at the time was I had no idea what I was doing and the medium I was using was... not good.
It's my second webcomic too, but the first only got to about 50 pages. I wasn't invested in the story, I pretty much made it as a first attempt of "let's see if I CAN make a comic".
IPN is much better than my last one, though if I were to ever publish it, I'd fix up chapter 1 pretty heavily. It taught me a lot, but almost too fast lmao.
Famimatsu

Postby yaaboa » January 13th, 2019, 11:49 am

This is not only my first attempt at a comic, but my first attempt at trying to write or even draw anything other than occasional doodling. Which is pretty evident. It was something to do to take my mind off of the monotony of working a 9-5.
yaaboa

Postby Hungie » January 27th, 2019, 7:34 am

The comic in my signature is definitely my first webcomic but I have tried my hand doing a more "paper & pencil" approach when I was around 16. In retrospect, the idea behind that paper comic was meant to be grand and ambitious but in the end, it was anything but that. I think Red Banner is a more fully realised version of this dream...
Hungie

Postby Ana H Bois » January 27th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I've never responded to a forum before, so I hope this is properly done.

Anyway, the answer is no. I tried making a comic, originally named "Colours" and then the more fitting "A Storm of Flames". However, although I love the characters, I didn't have a plot for the story so it fizzled out.
I thought of a new plot, "The Curse of the Mountain". But that, too, had only good characters but no plot. I didn't even finish page 1 of that one.

Then came the idea for "Oath" (name change coming soon, though)! I watched a play and read a bunch of books, and the inspiration from each just piled up. One day, in the car, I just came up with an entire plot. Of course, it has been edited since then, but I plan to finish this new project to completion!
Ana H Bois

Postby JC_Mraz » January 30th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Nah I've done a lot over the years. "Runner" IS the first time I've been fully prepared for the long haul though with scripts, worldbuilding and outlines though. I also am really enjoying drawing it and am trying to put forth my best effort for this comic :)
JC_Mraz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion