Utopia Next - Discussion on Future Tech and Society

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Utopia Next - Discussion on Future Tech and Society

Postby sunseeker25 » December 3rd, 2018, 7:07 pm

Discussion on future tech and society - Monday Musing - Stopping hacking!

Here's the topic for today - please share your thoughts in a comment!

I think it's inevitable that it will happen in some cases. If you can't hack-proof a device, you have to remove the hack target, and some situations might mean this makes sense. Overall however I don't think it will become the norm; most people and organizations are not going to want to give up modern technology and in some cases won't be able to.
sunseeker25

Postby sunseeker25 » January 7th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Discussion on future tech and society - Monday Musing - Stronger population!

Here's the topic for today - please share your thoughts in a comment!

Odds are, we'd have a lot less reliance on the machinery we do now. Realistically, that kind of strength would let people forego using certain kinds of vehicles to move things around, but would also let people run really fast and jump higher, too. This isn't going to get rid of forklifts or cars, but would mean people would rely on them less.

I think what is interesting is that this kind of in-body or on-body tech would allow us (perhaps ironically) to behave in a more natural manner, i.e. just pick things up, walk, or jump instead of relying on more obvious prosthetics. That's more intuitive and I think people would just go with that in most cases, when able to do so.
sunseeker25

Postby UrbanMysticDee » January 7th, 2019, 9:38 pm

I don't think it would change much. The competitors of World's Strongest Man don't go around pulling cars everywhere and ultramarathon runners don't run everywhere. Nor should they. Why do something that's totally unnecessary when an unthinking, unfeeling machine that will never get hurt, never get bored, never tire, and never complain can do it and make your life easier? It's like speculating "If everyone became immune to disease would we stop using toilets or bathing?" Almost certainly not, because why? Who wants to live in a world that stinks?

Being stronger also doesn't make people less lazy, or less busy. Imagine spending 5 hours a week stuck in traffic having to go to work. Now imagine having to spend 10 hours a week having to run to work (unless we make people unrealistically fast). It's a whole lot less convenient having to run everywhere when you can drive. Especially in America where, except at a few coastal cities that grew up centuries ago, the whole continent is designed to be as spread out as possible making cars mandatory just to get around. Being faster or having greater stamina wouldn't make people drive less, getting rid of suburbs and asinine, counterproductive zoning laws will make people drive less.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Postby AltCat » March 25th, 2019, 6:53 pm

UrbanMysticDee wrote:It's like speculating "If everyone became immune to disease would we stop using toilets or bathing?" Almost certainly not, because why? Who wants to live in a world that stinks?

Hmm.. but that might actually be the turnout in such an event. Disease is caused by bacteria, and bacteria are what causes foul smell, so if we were to turn immune to all of them they would go extinct and we would have no real need for showering.

We would even stop using toilets too, on account of not being able to digest anything without bacteria. So maybe it's not as great as it sounds after all.. :shock:
AltCat

Postby UrbanMysticDee » March 28th, 2019, 1:03 am

We're already immune to body odor bacteria and we still stink.
Image Image
Image Image
UrbanMysticDee

Previous

Return to General Discussion