Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Re: Share your comic style/design evolution! (Image-heavy)

Postby Oly-RRR » June 24th, 2018, 11:35 pm

kayotics wrote:Okay, I've finally decided to gather all the stuff needed for Toivo's evolution.

Excitement!! :mrgreen: And wow, those are some neat illustrations - I realise that we all feel a bit "ehhh" about our old art but you could have easily re-drawn the one from 2015 or the blue 2016 picture for the Spotlight (since we mentioned it before).

kayotics wrote:This is about where I decided I was going to make a comic. It all really amounts to me not wanting to give up drawing my favorite character.

This is probably my favourite part of your post besides the art itself - we all have different reasons for making webcomics and I usually feel like the odd one when I think about why I keep trying to do it so it's cool to be reminded there can be all sorts of reasons and it's all okay. You're creating some quality content by "just wanting to draw your character more". :D

kayotics wrote:He originally started out as a Dungeons & Dragons character (hence the magic and wizardry) that I felt way too strongly about.

Good DnD campaigns are special. ;A; And it's cool seeing a DnD character getting a new life like that! I get the opposite feeling when playing DnD though - like my DnD character is a bit of a "compromise" so I don't ruin the game for anyone else and I don't really want to do much with him the rest of the time.

Also DAT CROSSHATCHING

Also giant eyebrows ruuuule 8-)
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby kayotics » June 24th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:
kayotics wrote:Okay, I've finally decided to gather all the stuff needed for Toivo's evolution.

Excitement!! :mrgreen: And wow, those are some neat illustrations - I realise that we all feel a bit "ehhh" about our old art but you could have easily re-drawn the one from 2015 or the blue 2016 picture for the Spotlight (since we mentioned it before).

As soon as I made this post, I was like "wait that blue one I never finished would be... pretty good for the Spotlight image". So I'm glad someone else thinks so, because I'm probably going to try and redraw that one.

Oly-RRR wrote:
kayotics wrote:This is about where I decided I was going to make a comic. It all really amounts to me not wanting to give up drawing my favorite character.

This is probably my favourite part of your post besides the art itself - we all have different reasons for making webcomics and I usually feel like the odd one when I think about why I keep trying to do it so it's cool to be reminded there can be all sorts of reasons and it's all okay. You're creating some quality content by "just wanting to draw your character more". :D

Thanks!! I sometimes feel silly about where my comic came from, but I was just getting so bored with drawing the same uninspired scenes... I knew making a comic would solve some of that, just by giving me environments, new situations, and weird poses to draw.

Oly-RRR wrote:Good DnD campaigns are special. ;A; And it's cool seeing a DnD character getting a new life like that! I get the opposite feeling when playing DnD though - like my DnD character is a bit of a "compromise" so I don't ruin the game for anyone else and I don't really want to do much with him the rest of the time.

Aw man, I'm sorry that you feel that way about your dnd character. I've got a lot of them, and I've definitely had that experience. Toivo's the one that's closest to my heart, but I think it's also because I put a lot of my own experiences and self-indulgence into him.

Oly-RRR wrote:Also DAT CROSSHATCHING

I MISS DOING THIS TYPE OF CROSSHATCHING SO MUCH but also I know it took AGES to do...

EDIT:
I forgot to mention I love the development of your grumpy cop. Weirdly enough, the first Leicester and the last one look really similar in a really fun way. It's like your went from being in puberty to a full blown adult.
kayotics

Postby tentacletomato » June 25th, 2018, 12:58 am

Lol I'm never really consistent when I draw. I just like trying out different things, and since it's not like I'm getting paid or anything, why not?

Don't think I'll ever go back to cell shading. I used to never be much of a colorist back then. The left is from last summer and the right are the more recent pages.
Eventually I thought his hair was dumb so I added more layers to it.
tentacletomato

Postby TheJGamer » June 25th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Hoo boy do I have a lot to show in this thread. I haven't got any characters or a comic as of yet, so I'll show how I changed in drawing myself. (A sona, if you will.)

The earliest pic I found of my sona was one that I drew when I was in first grade. (I guess I can get away with that since I'm younger than mostly everyone here, lol)
Spoiler! :

My style of drawing changed over the years, and by the time I was in 7th grade, I got a minimalistic design for drawing humans. There are some similarities to my 1st grade picture, like having spheres for hands, but I decided to do away with the noses because I thought it would look awkward.
Spoiler! :

This year, I had a major design change for drawing humans! I started out with having realistic eyes and re-added noses to see what they look like! (You might remember this picture from my critique thread)
Spoiler! :

And now, here is a drawing I made yesterday. I decided to do away with noses again, and changed the eyes to become more cartoonish. (This is traditional art, in case anyone was wondering)
Spoiler! :
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby metalmiku » June 26th, 2018, 6:28 am

Judith (the main character).

In Judith case when the comic starts, she is 15 years old and she gets a bit older in every chapter.

Kalka

Ghora

Vvrika

and tha walk!

Seems that the biggest design change has been on the Kalka’s horns : o.
metalmiku

Postby MagpieMortician » August 12th, 2018, 4:55 pm

The left image was made back in 2006 and the one on the right was about 2016 or 2017. I originally used Microsoft paint because I thought it was the only free paint program out there. By the time I recreated it, I had found gimp and had been using it for a while.
I don't remember when I created the first snake but I was never that great at drawing animals. Stroodle was created a little over a month or two ago.
I don't have a before and after photo of Brice so the first image is mainly to show that facial structures are different. The first image was drawn in 2012 or 2013 and the second image was only a couple months ago. Same as Stroodle.
MagpieMortician

Postby eishiya » August 31st, 2018, 7:04 pm

Here's another one of mine, Alain/Alexander Blair from the BL comic I co-authored years ago, and from my current comic. They have share a face and personality, so I count them as them as the same for the purposes of this thread.
The 2010 image is from page 3 of the BL comic, one of the earliest times I'd drawn him. The one from 2011 was 120+ pages into the comic and I had (unfortunately) developed formulas for everybody and didn't really think about how I was drawing them. Everyone's unique features got somewhat smoothed and stopped matching up to any sort of real facial features :T Even at the time I wasn't happy with how samey and stiff everything looked. That was the result of drawing too quickly and not thinking enough, and I've made a point to avoid this "formula" approach since and keep thinking in terms of real features, even when working quickly.
The 2015 image is from page 3 of my current comic, and it was something like my 4th time drawing Blair since the old comic died 4 years prior. I remembered the stupid fringe in the old comic being hard to draw and looking stupid, so I got rid of it. This Blair's face was closer to what I intended back in 2010-2011. The 2018 image is from a few days ago, and is conveniently him from the same angle, making the same face, and at the same person (Roy) :'D I think my formula avoidance has been paying off, his features have gotten more accentuated rather than smoothed. I got his hair a bit wrong in that panel though, whoops. That's not a design change, that's just bad art.

Like I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I for some reason went from small eyes to big eyes in both comics, and this image shows it pretty well. At least Blair's eyes are reasonably sized and not big moeblob eyes like Roy's.

Also, these images chart by progress in learning to draw shirt collars lmao. Although, the latter two have a different collar style, so here's an Alain from January 2018 with the folded collar style that's the same as in 2010 and 2011:
I've learned, but I still seem to treat shirts as an inconvenience rather than something worth drawing, oops >A>
eishiya

Postby lucidfairy » September 1st, 2018, 12:29 am

Here's Kyo, Emery, and Ash from Lucidfairy. They have changed some what from the initial start
Attachments
Stylechange.jpg
(193.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lucidfairy

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » September 1st, 2018, 1:47 pm

Here's a little montage of panels from chapter 1 and then from chapter 14 (the most recent chapter). My style is very manga influenced, as I've been drawing in this style since late middle school. The art and the story has greatly evolved since the day we started it. Art wise, there was a lot of evolution going on. When I worked on the first chapter, I was working with an auto correct pen that would automatically correct certain details as I was new to using a wacom, starting with chapter 2 I've resorted to using a regular pen through the wacom that is more dependent on pressure. Thus it has allowed for better control and has led to better anatomy I believe. In addition it has also allowed me to move faster, going from six days to make a comic page to a mere two (probably a total of 8 hours). I started using shading and crosshatching starting in chapter 4, after I saw a number of other artist using it across the web. Over the course of time, the shading has become a more central part of the design as it has added depth and detail to artwork, you can see the difference in the samples I'm posting here. In addition, the nose and eye style has also evolved to a more traditional eye in order to make the art style notably more series. At the end of the day, I look back and hardly recognize the art style from the early days.

GreenRaptorStudios

Postby artofjoe » September 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm

This is my traditional art style evolution presented through my current webcomic.
Princess Turnip wasn't drawn again until the Hyper Stick Era.
I'm always looking for ways to improve, and I think that is what has helped me get so far in such a short time.

My digital evolution JUST started since I got a drawing tablet about a month ago. I can't really show any early drawings since I've been doing traditional art until now, but this is where I am digitally so far:

Hyper Sticks in Digital:
An adventure time-ish character concept for a web series I want to make:
that's basically all up to date with me right now. Hopefully I'll just keep improving. Nice Drawings, everybody! :D Improvement is awesome!
artofjoe

Postby AshenSkye » September 3rd, 2018, 1:40 pm

This is an 800x2500, so I'll just leave it as a link: https://sta.sh/092zb5q746q

The comic format has changed since it began. It started as a half-page with non-commercial fonts: https://sta.sh/01jw5has27l1
Then full page with commercial fonts: https://sta.sh/05mu8jd2cmj
Has been reduced to a single illustration per page update as adulthood has fully sunk in with a mate, kids, and holding multiple jobs at once: https://sta.sh/023rp8e9qlsk
And now finally just an illustration with the text above the artist notes that updates rather sporadically: https://sta.sh/01btslf2kijp

Shanku herself is still largely the same, but her wings and feathers have undergone some changes as I tried to get them a bit more realistic.
[ Just Another Day ][ Etsy ][ Ko-fi ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.
AshenSkye

Postby Vixenkiba » May 16th, 2019, 7:08 am

This is a really fun thread, love seeing how much OCs can change over the years!

I would like to contribute my character Kiba, one of the first OCs I created for a webcomic! He (and his comic) have had quite some reboots and remakes over the years, and I keep coming back to him to try out new comic skills, so even though the finished story will never be posted, I still love him for being so useful to me ;D

Vixenkiba

Postby jellyfishin » May 19th, 2019, 7:33 pm

The process of mirroring stuff from my Tumblr blog to here on SmackJeeves had forced me to look at my old art, and prompted me to also revamp some old pages, as I never wanted my older stuff to see the light of [SmackJeeves]day. But I think I can make the exception here. This a pretty cool thread! I know people keep talking about how artists improve over time, but seeing other people show they've all been in the same boat is pretty good motivator to keep on going. :)

To prevent picture-loading lag and to keep things brief, I present to you two small thumbnails of the same page for comparison:

Anatomy and facial expressions changes aside, there was definitely a change in page layout and backgrounds.

I did lose some page real estate by not having panels stretch to the absolute edges of the page, but the payoff is that the overall page looks way more neat and aesthetically pleasing.

As for the backgrounds, I know not all panels need a background, per se, but clearly the presence of so much background white space in my old work was just so awful.
jellyfishin

Postby StanleyComics » May 20th, 2019, 11:41 am

Okay, so I've done quite a few pages now (ish) and I can vomit up some progress :D

Okay, first we get Sam (Spitfire):

The fact I switched mediums helped a lot with developing him.

Then it's Rise (The Reaper):

Not much changes there, I feel, but I do introduce him close to the end of issue 1.

And then we have Sam's mum. Not a relevant character, but stylistically, she did change:

StanleyComics

Postby The Santeri » May 22nd, 2019, 8:03 pm

Well, ever since I started drawing, there's always been that certain "style" that I've been aiming for. It's hard to describe, but I always imagined my characters being a nice blend between 80's and 90's anime with a few modern tweaks in between. A way to break people away from modern anime and manga and take them back to where everything began.

BENJIRO Concept Art.jpg
(477.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The first image was still when I was in high school (2015). I had a thing for gradients for some odd reason lol, but at the same time I was originally going to make my story into a novel called Benjiro that would combine elements of early 1900s Japan with modern day. It was a nice idea...but the art and style just felt a little off for me. It wasn't quite right or what I was truly aiming for. However, this basic idea of Japan as the main setting as well as a character named Benjiro would carry on.

Issue 0.III Cover.jpg
(842.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The second image represented my change from the old to the new...back to somewhat old? lol (2017-2018). The story of early 1900's Benjiro was gone and I found myself watching more 80's sci fi anime over the years. Shows like Gundam, Akira, Gunbusters, and Dirty Pair were among my favorite, and believe it or not, some over the top modern anime like Kill la Kill sparked my interest in more action oriented story telling versus the slower pacing that Benjiro was going to be. I wanted to make a story that was fast, slick, and serious to the core. I wanted the action to be striking. I wanted the characters to be bold. I wanted it to be...RADICAL. A story that I still stick to this day as my main series.

Chapter 2 Cover Page.jpg
(486.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

(Late 2018 through 2019) I finished the prologue to RADICAL, but I wanted more of it. Although my style improved more to the style I was originally aiming at, it still wasn't quite there. Inspired by shows like Sailor Moon and the 90's as well as 80's Japanese City-Pop, I wanted a new type of protagonist that would stand as the sole icon of my story and fit these themes. A young energetic woman that took all the elements of myself as well as all of my dreams and aspirations into one core design, thus I created Kaguya Akiyama. I hope that with this new character, I can achieve the pure nostalgic and retro style that I've been aiming for while adding some modern elements to make it stand out.

I have much much MUCH more art that I've made over several years, but I'd be afraid of taking up too much of the thread XD
The Santeri

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion